• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yay or Nay on Possible New Rules

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize if we've already talked about this. I know there was a thread on some of the stuff that happened at the NHL R&D camp, but we mostly talked about the icing on PPs rule (I believe).

So, I was curious if people were yay or nay on the following possible changes:

-Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away
-Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first
-Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone)
-Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored
-OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootout

YAY or NAY Hooplonians?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NAY -Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away
YAY -Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first
NAY -Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone)
YAY -Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored
YAY -OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootout

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NAY -Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away
YAY -Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first
NAY -Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone)
YAY -Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored
YAY -OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootout

I concur.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I concur.

x3 except I would like hand passes to be done away with altogether.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was initially a yay on full minor service because teams that bend the rules should take the pipe in a major way. But then i ask myself ... do I wanna see that much "half court hockey"? so Im a nay on this

what i am a yay on is bringing the icing rule to the power play ... ie if a team on the pk ices the puck to relieve pressure. whistle ... face off in their end ... no line change ... No timeout allowed to be called (by team on the pk)

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was initially a yay on full minor service because teams that bend the rules should take the pipe in a major way. But then i ask myself ... do I wanna see that much "half court hockey"? so Im a nay on this

what i am a yay on is bringing the icing rule to the power play ... ie if a team on the pk ices the puck to relieve pressure. whistle ... face off in their end ... no line change ... No timeout allowed to be called (by team on the pk)

I'm all for that as well... you shouldn't be given a privelege along with a penalty.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away
NAY: Allow players to try to gain the advantage by jockeying for position. Faceoffs is about being slick and trying to gain any added advantage over your faceoff opponent. I like that aspect about the faceoff.

-Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first
YAY: This should allow a few more seconds per period to play actual hockey instead of watching a dman slowly stride back behind the goalie to touch up.

-Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone)
NAY: This may be abused. In a board battle, players in the offensive zone may choose to go to their knees to protect the puck, then pass by hand to a teammate.

-Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored
NAY: This makes a penalty way too severe.

-OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootout
YAY: It's already gimmicky with 4v4 then a shootout. 3v3 sounds fun.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I am a yay to both of those.

I also wouldn't mind there being some sort of tinkering to penalties at the end of OT. If the penalty is in the last 2 mins of OT, then the OT period goes until the penalty expires.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away YAY
-Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first YAY
-Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone) NAY
-Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored NAY
-OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootout NAY

I would like to see the faceoff circle cleaned up a bit.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm fine either way on the full 2 minutes - see both sides. But I'm nay on changing the current icing rule b/c just like you don't want to see more half court hockey, I don't want to see a shitload more faceoffs.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine either way on the full 2 minutes - see both sides. But I'm nay on changing the current icing rule b/c just like you don't want to see more half court hockey, I don't want to see a shitload more faceoffs.

good point!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and i'm...

Nay - punishment line and hybrid icing (just make it automatic already)
Yay - hand passes (if you aren't shooting a goal and don't cup it, I don't get why its a problem anywhere), full minor service, and OT changes (I've long been on here saying 4v4, 3v3, then 2v2 is the way to go, this is a step towards that)

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the argument against that would be saving a couple of seconds on each icing play that can make an impact in close games. Essentially, it's only used on plays where a whistle will be blown anyway. I agree that it's a very minor detail, but there is some substance to it.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on a second thought on the full service 2 mins I think NAY now.... the refs are soo freaking sensitive on iffy calls that it could kill a team in critical situatiuons bringing to light an even worse view on refs. and the more time in the half court is a good point

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also a yay on the delayed penalty potential rule change that they tested

if puck is in offensive zone with delayed penalty ... offending team must gain possession of puck and carry/skate it out of defensive zone to get the whistle ... not just simply touching the puck

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also a yay on the delayed penalty potential rule change that they tested

if puck is in offensive zone with delayed penalty ... offending team must gain possession of puck and carry/skate it out of defensive zone to get the whistle ... not just simply touching the puck

that is interesting.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the argument against that would be saving a couple of seconds on each icing play that can make an impact in close games. Essentially, it's only used on plays where a whistle will be blown anyway. I agree that it's a very minor detail, but there is some substance to it.

Id like to see it tried in the ahl ... who knows maybe you actually see teams change their behaviours and actually resist icing the puck (therefore no extra faceoffs)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh sorry. To clarify, I meant the regular icing rules being enforced when a team is on the PK.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like to see it tried in the ahl ... who knows maybe you actually see teams change their behaviours and actually resist icing the puck (therefore no extra faceoffs)

Yeah, it would be interesting to see. Maybe players would become more skilled at the "pitching wedge" wrister down the ice. But even then, increased chances of a delay of game penalty as well. I guess I also just think if you lose the puck over and over with an extra man, you kinda deserve to

There seem to be two major initiatives pushing the changes - preventing injuries and increasing scoring. As to the latter, I wish they'd just make the goals 3-4 inches wider per side. It would counter the equipment increases and some of the advantages of the butterfly style that has led them to make so many other changes in recent years. If there is a simpler, more direct option, I think that makes for better rule changes instead of 4 inches off the back, changing the lines, making delay of game penalties, the trapezoid, etc. If they just made that one simple change, they wouldn't have to be tweaking everything so often and they'd see scoring come up a goal or two per game, which is ultimately what they want.

All these minor changes just make it tougher on the refs, and I think they need to make the job easier to call. Take hand passes - right now a ref has to analyze (1) which team the player is on, (2) what zone he is in, and (3) whether he cupped it or not. Those are all calculations that take very little time, but they are all things you are thinking through while you have to watch other things that are happening. You want ref calls to be instinctual and obvious, not thought-provoking and subjective. If the ref only has to decide whether a player cupped the puck or make them illegal on any portion of the ice, it makes for better refereeing. The NHL places too many nuanced and subjective rules on the refs. The game's rules should be simpler, and you'd see them do a better job.