• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 538 nerds predict how the new rules will help or hurt each team

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting methodology, basically if your pitchers already work faster than average, you have speed to take advantage of the new base stealing rules, and either rarely used (on d) or had trouble with (on o) the shift, you might have an edge this year

See if you can guess which teams will get helped and hurt before you see the list.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting methodology, basically if your pitchers already work faster than average, you have speed to take advantage of the new base stealing rules, and either rarely used (on d) or had trouble with (on o) the shift, you might have an edge this year

See if you can guess which teams will get helped and hurt before you see the list.
I'll be honest. That's a little too complicated for me. If I'm reading it right, they are saying all the bad teams will get better and the good teams will get worse? Maybe we'll finally get the parity that we have in the NFL.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest. That's a little too complicated for me. If I'm reading it right, they are saying all the bad teams will get better and the good teams will get worse? Maybe we'll finally get the parity that we have in the NFL.
You are not reading it right

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mariners:
- Shift: Guessing they think this helps, and I agree... we must have been near the lowest team BA in the league last year, and taking away something that suppresses BA could only help
- Pitch Clock: Guess it hurts, because I think a few of our better pitchers work fairly slow (minimal hurt, is my guess)
- Base Size: Gotta help.... I think we have better speed/base-stealing ability than most teams, and run a little more than most, so it should amplify that.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners:
- Shift: Guessing they think this helps, and I agree... we must have been near the lowest team BA in the league last year, and taking away something that suppresses BA could only help
- Pitch Clock: Guess it hurts, because I think a few of our better pitchers work fairly slow (minimal hurt, is my guess)
- Base Size: Gotta help.... I think we have better speed/base-stealing ability than most teams, and run a little more than most, so it should amplify that.
I guess they just did net impact... and the M's get fucked... but I don't see where they assessed offensive improvement due to the shift... just defensive negative that is greater for teams that utilized the shift a ton (which I guess the M's did).