• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yay or Nay on Possible New Rules

dboy97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO-Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away (I liked their idea last year where the other center could then pick what player had to take the faceoff.)
NO -Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first (I just do not think it will do all that much because the only colishions are on the races anyway and those would not be blown down.)
YES -Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone) (I think hand passes are fine and players should be able to kick a puck into the goal too.)
YES -Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored (I like the idea of possible multiple power play goals even if the Bruins have a problem with one.)
YES -OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootout (Anything to get away from all the freaking shootouts.)

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it would be interesting to see. Maybe players would become more skilled at the "pitching wedge" wrister down the ice. But even then, increased chances of a delay of game penalty as well. I guess I also just think if you lose the puck over and over with an extra man, you kinda deserve to

There seem to be two major initiatives pushing the changes - preventing injuries and increasing scoring. As to the latter, I wish they'd just make the goals 3-4 inches wider per side. It would counter the equipment increases and some of the advantages of the butterfly style that has led them to make so many other changes in recent years. If there is a simpler, more direct option, I think that makes for better rule changes instead of 4 inches off the back, changing the lines, making delay of game penalties, the trapezoid, etc. If they just made that one simple change, they wouldn't have to be tweaking everything so often and they'd see scoring come up a goal or two per game, which is ultimately what they want.

Disagree. Goals should just be made 6 or 8 inches wider on the left side.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO -Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first (I just do not think it will do all that much because the only colishions are on the races anyway and those would not be blown down

Yeah, good point. The rule is supposedly for safety to prevent high speed collisions, but the close-call situations where that would still happen are not prevented. So it doesn't really make sense.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with that. Then they should also move the goal 3-4 inches to the right of it's current positioning.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. Then they should also move the goal 3-4 inches to the right of it's current positioning.

Of course. Even if they didn't, imagine the kill zone being so close to a corner. Ouch.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eloco, you just gave me an idea for another way to increase the scoring - move the nets up toward the blue line a foot or two. It makes point shots more difficult to stop, gives forwards more room to work in Gretzky's office, and moves the puck closer to the net on faceoffs.

Let's put it into the next R&D camp, Shanny!

CatScrap

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NAY-Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away
NAY-Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first
All hand passes should be disallowed-Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone)
NAY-Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored
NAY and change the points system to all games worth 3 points-OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootout

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO -Hand passes expanded - I'm with Jeff, remove all hand passes

YES - Full minor service - but add to the existing 2-minute-minor with a 2-minute-major...classify certain penalties as minor or major based on severity

YES - OT change - get rid of the shootout entirely by having a 5-on-4 EN PP until someone scores. Then the other team gets the same 5-on-4 EN PP for the same amount of time. Whichever team scores quicker, or scores both goals, wins. Home team chooses whether to go first or second.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

Lonny Bohonos - this is YOUR time!!!

Punishment line - No. those linesman judgement calls are stupid enough as it is - don't give them something else to fuck around over.
Hybrid icing - sure why not. saves time on some of the easy calls, and the races stay in the game.
Hand passes expanded - No. it's a fine line between glove pass and closing the hand of glove (penalty). Also a safety issue in scrums around the net. You don't want hands down around the skates.
Full minor service - No. a goal is punishment enough. Imagine if 3 get scored on a delay of game call? would kill the game.
OT change - sure why not. Shootout is a carnival anyways, might as well add a midway before hand.

but the biggest change they should do (broken record mode here) is get rid of that goddamned automatic penalty for delay of game. It is the same offense as an icing (clearing the zone to relieve pressure), and should be the same infraction = face-off deep, no change
i don't mind if they want to keep in a option for delay of game penalty if the intent is obvious.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about 2 min majors for all stick work, elbowing, hit from behind etc... the more dangerous stuff. not interference, tripping, hooking

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nay-Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away
-- Making the team change who is taking the faceoff is enough

Nay-Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first
-- If it is close they will let the play continue. The injuries happen mostly when it is close. Get rid of the trapezoid and allow players a little contact before they play the puck to slow down the third man in.

Nay-Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone)
-- Eliminate hand passed everywhere

Nay
-Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored
-- This will cause the powerplay to become too important. They took this rule out for a reason. There will be teams that have 2 powerplay lines and 2 Olympic diving lines.

nay-OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootout
-- Just get rid of the shootout and deal with a tie.

MrMagooo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
N0 -Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away
YES -Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first
NO -Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone)
No -Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored
Yes -OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootout

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nay
-Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored
-- This will cause the powerplay to become too important. They took this rule out for a reason. There will be teams that have 2 powerplay lines and 2 Olympic diving lines.

you mean like the canucks ???

/pre-emptive ... i didnt want to give dash the satisfaction

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NAY-Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away

NAY-Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first

NAY-Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone)

NAY-OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootout

Last edited by a moderator:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about 2 min majors for all stick work, elbowing, hit from behind etc... the more dangerous stuff. not interference, tripping, hooking

Hmm....interesting idea.

-Punishment line - I dont really care off the top of my head
-Hybrid icing - I dont really care at this time
-Hand passes expanded - No way
-Full minor service - its too drastic due to some iffy calls (however I do think penalties should be called by the book the same way from the first preseason game to the last game of the finals)
-OT change - no, I think the shootout is goofy but I think its less goofy than 3 on 3

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is 3 vs 3 any less gimmicky than a shootout? Star players/goaltenders will be absolutely shot come playoff time if their team plays enough of them.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm....interesting idea.

-Punishment line - I dont really care off the top of my head
-Hybrid icing - I dont really care at this time
-Hand passes expanded - No way
-Full minor service - its too drastic due to some iffy calls (however I do think penalties should be called by the book the same way from the first preseason game to the last game of the finals)
-OT change - no, I think the shootout is goofy but I think its less goofy than 3 on 3

I agree with this but with the caveat that they are called loosely ala playoff hockey all year and not 'stringent set the tone for the season October hockey'.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Punishment line - punish players creeping in the circle on a faceoff by moving them farther away. YAYClean it up a bit
-Hybrid icing - allowing linesman to call icing early if it is obvious defensive player will reach it first. NAY dislike no touch icing
-Hand passes expanded - allowing players to do hand passes anywhere on the ice (not just in D zone) NAY Keep it as a defensive type thing instead of offensive
-Full minor service - players have to stay in box for the full 2 minutes, even if a goal is scored NAY Makes the penalty too severe, and I don't want to change the icing rule on powerplays either
-OT change - change OT to 4v4 for 4 minutes and 3v3 for 3 minutes before a shootoutNAY It'd still have a shootout right? Fuck that.

There doesn't need to be a bunch of changes every year...

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this but with the caveat that they are called loosely ala playoff hockey all year and not 'stringent set the tone for the season October hockey'.

I would take that, but wouldnt prefer it. There were numerous games in the playoffs, even late in games in the regular season, where I thought some teams got away with a lot of obstruction and clutching.

In the regular season I saw numerous games where a team got a PP goal on a call in the first then the other team when struggling to tie it late in the game did not get the call on a very similar play.

Last edited by a moderator: