• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yanks, Knicks lose, Orb wins

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ned Yost, kill yourself. Shields only had 102

gener8tr

Viva El Gordo!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John just killed a hotdog vendor.

gener8tr

Viva El Gordo!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-

remember his TV show?

I remember McCloud... my mother watched it when I was really young.

Certainly everyone knows Gunsmoke...

EDIT - I think McCloud was on television the same era as SOAP. My mother loved that one, too.

heatwave31

i'll have the last laugh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update on J.P. Strikeoutcibia:

He is currently striking out in 36% of plate appearances, continuing to cement the fact that the only thing standing between him and the all time K record is him needing to get benched on Dickey days since his defense is about as good as his contact rate

He also has 1 RBI in his last 9 games, putting him in dangerous peril of not being on pace for 75 RBI's, which at this point is the one small thing Heatwave is hanging onto by a thread.... if this doesn't happen, Heatwave will have officially gotten every single prediction he made wrong

where does JP

rank in homers, rbi's, slugging, hits, XBH, and total bases ???? amongst all catchers

since you wanna be funny.

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dennis weaver was in Spielbergs first movie

name it

(it was a TV movie)

PeteNYC

Smart!Rich!Good Looking!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick tangent …

Like everyone else from Boston, I couldn't get over the horror of last month's bombing when it happened. I couldn't stop thinking about the dead, and the injured, and the poor children who were unlucky enough to be involved. I couldn't shake the fear that Marathon Monday had been ruined, that the race couldn't function the same way, that Boston's most sacred day had been forever altered. Deep down, I was thinking the same thing that every parent who ever watched the marathon from the finish line was thinking: That could have been me and my kid. You couldn't help it.

But within a few hours, in the middle of all that grief and anguish and disbelief, something special started happening. Everything I love about Boston came bubbling to the surface. When the videos of the bombings started trickling out, you could see locals running toward the carnage instead of away from it. Stories of heroism started emerging, one after the other, more and more people who risked their lives to save others. A resilient attitude took hold: We're having the marathon next year, and not only that, it's gonna be the biggest one ever. To anyone who thinks they can mess with that … FUCK YOU. (Something David Ortiz tapped into perfectly with his delightful Fenway speech. This is our fuckin' city.) This was Boston at its provincial best, the ultimate irrational confidence city, the people who kicked out the British once upon a time. When things turned surreal three days later — the shootouts, the lockdown, everything — the locals celebrated the end of the ordeal on Friday night, and then on Saturday at the Red Sox game. They drank and they cried and they cheered. The city was different, but stronger.

And if you knew anything about Boston, you knew sports would factor into the healing process. An emotional, crowd-fueled national anthem during that first Bruins home game helped, as did the "Hallelujah" tribute before that Saturday Red Sox game, and Daniel Nava's game-winning home run, too. Like everyone else, I found myself hoping a depleted Celtics team would lift the city — because Pierce understood what that would mean, as did Doc, as did Garnett — but we learned quickly, and regretfully, that they were overmatched. Emotion can take you only so far. You need talent, too.

At some point during those first three games, our motives flipped. Just don't let us get swept. That's what everyone was thinking. Game 3 couldn't have gone worse. The Celtics were creamed in front of an electric crowd that was caged for four quarters. Adding to the ignominy, Smith swung an elbow at Jason Terry's face, decked him, got ejected and defiantly strutted off the Garden floor. He didn't apologize. Even worse, none of the Celtics really jumped to Terry's defense. They were being punked. Or so it seemed. And that's how Can we pull it off? turned into Just don't let us get swept.

Game 4 was magical. They didn't get swept. They pulled it out in overtime, at home, with the two true Celtics leading the way. If that was their last home game, then great. Perfect way to go out. We won a title with those guys; we should have won two; we easily could have won three; we mattered for all six. No complaints. That overtime win was enough. We saved face. We were losing Game 5. Probably. There was no way … right?

(So why was I looking forward so much to Game 5?)

You know what happened next. They played 40 good minutes, then somehow held on for the last eight … which took about 10 hours. Every Boston fan fought off flashbacks of Game 7 in 2010, especially when the Knicks cut it to five. Then KG nailed a jumper and that was that. I usually feel dumb rooting for laundry. Not this time. No. 5 and no. 34 mean more than laundry and have for some time. We're always going to remember those guys. They understand what it means to be a Celtic. They understand that Boston fans care about our teams a little too much, that it's part of being from Boston, that it's one of the few places in which the success or failure of the local teams actually affects the overall mood of the entire city. They understand that they aren't playing in Boston as much as playing for Boston. Big difference.

The 2013 Celtics are trying to make history now, but really, they already did. They helped the healing process, helped people move on, helped people feel normal again. They're Boston, strong. And tonight, 18,000 people will walk down that Causeway, hear those "Let's Go Celtics!" chants on the way up the escalators, go bonkers during the inevitable Dave Roberts clip (you know it's coming), and then they'll cheer and clap until their hands are swollen and their voices go hoarse. Hundred of thousands will be watching on television in Massachusetts and the surrounding states, along with transplants spread across the country who'd give anything to be in that building.

I'm one of those people. I will be watching Game 6 from 3,000 miles away, living vicariously through a television set. Win or lose, this will be a great night. The Celtics are still alive.

you kind of need to give credit when you quote someone's writing... snoogy simmons

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time Carmello has been out of the first round

PeteNYC

Smart!Rich!Good Looking!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where does JP

rank in homers, rbi's, slugging, hits, XBH, and total bases ???? amongst all catchers

do they keep those stats for last place teams?

When will Melky catch up to Ichiro and Gardner in XBH's and HR's?

heatwave31

i'll have the last laugh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think better chance of Wells hitting .300 then Melky hitting .270

from the guy who says ichiro >>>> swisher yeah nobody cares what you think. you're dumb:10:

Village Plumber

Consider it circumcised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where does JP

Stop deflecting; stick to the topic - his high propensity to strike out

Looks like your manager is starting to know said futility when he sees it...

J.P. Arencibia is not in Monday evening's lineup against the Rays.

It's Arencibia's second off-day in three games, but he isn't known to be hurt. Asked why he was sitting, he responded with a curt "ask Gibby," as in manager John Gibbons. Arencibia's eight home runs are second amongst catchers.

heatwave31

i'll have the last laugh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Happ has an ERA 0.08 lower than one of the Yankees top 4 pitchers!!!

[don't ask him how the Blue Jays pitchers are doing compared to Hughes]

not just the cherry picked top 4.

but your golden boy andy pettite. the guy you said was better than everyone on the jays staff.

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't know, RSG.

-

Duel

Great movie. You must have seen it. Where he pisses off a truck Driver and ets chased the rest of the movie. You never see the driver.

gener8tr

Viva El Gordo!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spielberg wasn't in on American Graffitti, was he?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heatwave still around, eh

Good for you