• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankees Next SS DiDi Gregorius

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yankees trade shawn green for this young SS. 3 team trade. Dbacks 2 prospects from tigers, tigers landing green, Yankees get DiDi.

not a fan of this trade. yankees giving the best player and not getting much in return. DiDi just hasnt played well.

grade: D for Yankees
grade: B for Tigers
grade: C For Dbacks
Considering you don't even know the names of the players involved, I'm not sure I'm going to put much stock in your evaluation. How do you know Greene is the best player? Based on 78 innings in a lost season, where he only got a shot because he was the 9th option to start? When he wasn't even considered one of the Yankees' top prospects coming into 2014?

Gregorious was a top prospect in the Reds system a few years ago, had a perfectly fine season with the bat in 2013, is excellent defensively, and is only 24 (25 when the season starts). The Yanks dealt from an area of depth to fill an area of need. That's what you try to do in baseball.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ok with it. Im not a big fan of him. Like him as set up man but not closer and not for 15 mill a season for 1 season as a closer. Love the Miller pick up for 9 mill. Him and Betances. 2 RP that get 10o K's in a season as a RP. Watch out.

Bye Drob. Good luck.
I see this type of comment everywhere. It screams "I don't understand how baseball works". You like him as a set-up man but not the closer? Great. Set-up men are generally more valuable and important than closers. That said, Robertson did just fine in the meaningless closer role. He actually did as well as Mo did in 1997.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The positive of this trade is that Defense got better but I don't think he can hit well enough to stay in the big leagues.
Why? He had an OPS+ of 94 in 2013, which is perfectly fine for a shortstop, especially one with his glove. And his OPS+ was better than Jeter's last year.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didi is a terrible hitter. He'll hit about 10 homers with a .240 average and provide excellent defense IF he plays 140+ games next year. Not sad about losing him. Owings and Ahmed are both better options at SS/2B.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didi is a terrible hitter. He'll hit about 10 homers with a .240 average and provide excellent defense IF he plays 140+ games next year. Not sad about losing him. Owings and Ahmed are both better options at SS/2B.

As mentioned earlier, he's an average hitting shortstop, which many teams would take considering he's also considered a plus defensive shortstop.

And Nick Ahmed? The guy was awful in his short stint in the majors and didn't hit as well as Didi did in both AAA and AA, so what makes him better?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ok with it. Im not a big fan of him. Like him as set up man but not closer and not for 15 mill a season for 1 season as a closer. Love the Miller pick up for 9 mill. Him and Betances. 2 RP that get 10o K's in a season as a RP. Watch out.

Bye Drob. Good luck.

Lol

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned earlier, he's an average hitting shortstop, which many teams would take considering he's also considered a plus defensive shortstop.

And Nick Ahmed? The guy was awful in his short stint in the majors and didn't hit as well as Didi did in both AAA and AA, so what makes him better?

You like to argue everything. I follow this team and their minors organization closely. You don't know jack shit about any of these guys so don't try acting like you do.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize you never answered his question right?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You like to argue everything. I follow this team and their minors organization closely. You don't know jack shit about any of these guys so don't try acting like you do.
He actually understands the game, follows the entire league, and has probably forgotten more baseball than you'll ever know.

Anyone who thinks Gregorius is a "terrible hitter" based on half a season in 2014, while ignoring that he had a perfectly fine offensive season in 2013 is a total rube.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually understands the game, follows the entire league, and has probably forgotten more baseball than you'll ever know.

Anyone who thinks Gregorius is a "terrible hitter" based on half a season in 2014, while ignoring that he had a perfectly fine offensive season in 2013 is a total rube.

He is a below avg hitter at SS. Can he get better yes but not much better in my opinion.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering you don't even know the names of the players involved, I'm not sure I'm going to put much stock in your evaluation. How do you know Greene is the best player? Based on 78 innings in a lost season, where he only got a shot because he was the 9th option to start? When he wasn't even considered one of the Yankees' top prospects coming into 2014?

Gregorious was a top prospect in the Reds system a few years ago, had a perfectly fine season with the bat in 2013, is excellent defensively, and is only 24 (25 when the season starts). The Yanks dealt from an area of depth to fill an area of need. That's what you try to do in baseball.

Thats funny I read he was the Yankees minor league pitcher of the year. At 26 I would bet it wasn't because of his work at single A.

Oh thats right the Yankees are pitching rich. If DG wasn't a SS he would be a utility infielder. SS are scarce and he was the best option for the Yankees or they would be heading to Spring Training with a Ryan or some other castoff.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didi got off to an insanely hot start in 2013 and still finished around .250 that year. He will never repeat the start to his career that he had... how he ended that season and hit last year are a better indicator of what type of hitter he is.

He'll be around .235-.245 average wise and has a ceiling of maybe 12 homers a year, but I'd be surprised if he reaches double digits next year. His value ultimately comes from his glove, which is actually tremendous. He'll be on SCTop10 quite a bit especially playing in NY now.

The reason this trade works for us is because Owings is a MUCH better hitter with higher upside and room to grow, while Didi just is what he is really. We also have Hill and Pennington in our infield so there wasn't room for him in our lineup. Last year Owings missed significant time which is how he got most of his AB's.

That being said, I think it's a good move by NY since they needed a SS. We just dealt from a position of strength and he was the odd man out.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats funny I read he was the Yankees minor league pitcher of the year. At 26 I would bet it wasn't because of his work at single A.

Oh thats right the Yankees are pitching rich. If DG wasn't a SS he would be a utility infielder. SS are scarce and he was the best option for the Yankees or they would be heading to Spring Training with a Ryan or some other castoff.

Other recent pitching winners of The Kevin Lawn Award: Chien Ming Wang, Phil Hughes, Zach McCallister, Ian Kennedy, David Phelps and................................ Phucking Phil Coke! :eek:

I have no idea what The Tigers call their minor league awards though.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didi got off to an insanely hot start in 2013 and still finished around .250 that year. He will never repeat the start to his career that he had... how he ended that season and hit last year are a better indicator of what type of hitter he is.

Based on what reasoning? Many argue that minor league performance tends to the best indicator of how a MLB player's career will project.

FWIW, Fangraphs is predicting him at around .250 next with with a .675ish OPS, which is right around the league average for a shortstop.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona's ballpark gets a false reputation for being extreme hitter friendly. Didi will rake at Yankee Stadium.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Yanks certainly downgraded here. This guy won't come close to being Derek Jeter, not even close.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Yanks certainly downgraded here. This guy won't come close to being Derek Jeter, not even close.
Derek Jeter hadn't been "Derek Jeter" in terms of production for years, save for 2012 when his numbers were at least in line with his career averages. However, his defense negated a lot of that value added with the bat.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ANY new SS will be a down grade from Jeter, if I was Tulo I wouldn't even want to go there. This is a moment where being 2nd is more beneficial.

MotownMagic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this trade The tigers got the better end on the deal!

I hate the Yankees but I also hate to see them not be the normal Yankees. I hope this off-season they can find something to help out their team!