• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankee Payroll

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
completely agree, jealous, frustrated...like I said, it is what it is, the yankees and a few other teams have an advantage for being able to afford better quality players. Until they finally put a Cap on each team, its not changing, so just got to do what you can to complete. But when Yankees fans (not all but some do) completely dismiss that advange then thats where you realize the ignorant ones.

Not sure what you want here, you want Yankee fans to claim that they have an unfair advantage because we are willing to spend money... Yea, ok have fun with that hope... Don't let your jealousy leak out!!!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite was how Cashman was so vehement about cutting payroll to avoid the luxury tax.

He talked the talk for the better part of a year.

And guess what? They went waaaaay over the luxury tax threshold yet again.

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you want here, you want Yankee fans to claim that they have an unfair advantage because we are willing to spend money... Yea, ok have fun with that hope... Don't let your jealousy leak out!!!

The question was asked, why do non-yankees fans bring up payroll? Not sure what you expected the answer to be. Thats the answer, you don't have to like it....and "we are willing" isn't the right term, all teams would be "willing" if they had it.

The Yankees are able to spend money that 60 to 70 percent of the teams can't come close to, although about 4 or 5 teams are trying to catch up to them and coincedently all the teams in about the top 8 or 10 win WS's and in the playoffs quite often.

Not sure if its jealousy or that it just sucks being a fan of a team that can't just buy a fix for a problem area.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys, I figured as much with the jealousy but like the songs says, "more money more problems".

Some problems you can't buy your way out of, and in the Yankees case of late, they more they spend the deeper the hole they're in gets.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most teams aren't capable of functioning as well as the Yanks do year in and year out with a horrific farm system but huge salary allotment.

payroll and salary caps are important in professional sports, and are something that sports fans discuss pretty consistently, regardless of the sport. yanks fans who pull the "why do you care about my team's $200 million payroll you must be jealous blah blah blah" routine are either incapable of reason, or they're just not actually real sports fans. usually it's a combination of the two.

i would be happy if there were some bigger penalty for going over the supposed "salary cap" in MLB than the luxury tax, but i don't know what it would be. draft picks? like the yanks care about those anyway. stocking the farm isn't their MO, lol.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the OP asked, usually people I have met who moan about it frequently see it as bizarre that X market can spend roughly 200M when the please while market A can only spend 90M.

I don't care that much except for when fans of market X start random banter; get their head turned upside down, and then resort to some lame "moar rings" or a better level of success in X timeframe when the lame circlejerk gets called out for what it is. Admittedly, I probably was a bit groggy last night and probably said more junk than I would have liked.

I see it in every sport. I see 49er fans on different boards (won't name them or link it to be polite to Hammer and co) do it to Seattle fans even after Seattle won the Super Bowl. I don't really care that much in the big picture though. 90-100M is plenty enough to win. If it isn't, the FO sucks at their jobs. For that reason, I am not irritated usually. An extra 100M certainly helps, but that's bleh.

Moral of the story: Troll and you just might get trolled...

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys, I figured as much with the jealousy but like the songs says, "more money more problems".

Some problems you can't buy your way out of, and in the Yankees case of late, they more they spend the deeper the hole they're in gets.

actually agree, the Yankees FO actually has been 1 of the worst in the league, but a bit hand tied with the veteran players.

They get Jeter/Arod/Tex/Soriano/Beltran off the books, then you can see how good the FO is. Tanaka was a great step, still not sure with having Gardner, getting Ellsbury was the best move.

Still think it was a mistake not signing Morales.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually agree, the Yankees FO actually has been 1 of the worst in the league, but a bit hand tied with the veteran players.

They get Jeter/Arod/Tex/Soriano/Beltran off the books, then you can see how good the FO is. Tanaka was a great step, still not sure with having Gardner, getting Ellsbury was the best move.

Still think it was a mistake not signing Morales.

I think they tried to lure Morales but Morales did the smart thing by going to Minnesota, he'll get to play everyday there and that's got to be his top priority right now. That was no guarentee with the Yankees.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm.. Don't know where my post went but here it goes again.

"I say SPEND THE MONEY... You have it... SPEND it!! I don't care if the Yankees spend and spend. Doesn't mean you are going to win. Sure these contracts are getting waaaay out of control but you spend money to make money. Every owner can do it.. They chose not to and screw over their fans and only put money back into their own pockets.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they tried to lure Morales but Morales did the smart thing by going to Minnesota, he'll get to play everyday there and that's got to be his top priority right now. That was no guarentee with the Yankees.

That's probably what happened. Still shocked it was the Twins of all teams though.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm.. Don't know where my post went but here it goes again.

"I say SPEND THE MONEY... You have it... SPEND it!! I don't care if the Yankees spend and spend. Doesn't mean you are going to win. Sure these contracts are getting waaaay out of control but you spend money to make money. Every owner can do it.. They chose not to and screw over their fans and only put money back into their own pockets.

Every owner doesn't make the same amount of money, your lost with that statement. There is about 10 teams that can spend whatever, 10 teams that could spend alot more and 10 teams that could spend a little more. But to say they all can spend the same amount is like saying everyone living in the same neighborhood can spend the same amount, some live below their means, some live above their means and some live at their means...you can tell by the temp of the porage.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably what happened. Still shocked it was the Twins of all teams though.

I think everyone was shocked it was the Twins.

My question would be where would the Yankees have put him?

Tex 1st and DH
Jeter SS and DH
Beltran OF 1st and DH
Ichiro OF and DH
Soriano OF and DH
Gardner OF
Ellsbury OF
Johnson, Roberts and Solarte the rest of the infield.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

actually great point, thought he could easily DH but with Tex, Soriano, Beltran he would probably sit more often than Minn.

But dang, Minn got a great deal for this season....In Boston he could have played everyday at 1b, SF lost Belt, Texas lost Fielder and just lost Moreland, I wouldn't have been completely shocked at Oak grabbing him for DH that would have been a hell of a move, they have a legit run going...I guess its the fact that Minn was the shocking part.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every owner doesn't make the same amount of money, your lost with that statement. There is about 10 teams that can spend whatever, 10 teams that could spend alot more and 10 teams that could spend a little more. But to say they all can spend the same amount is like saying everyone living in the same neighborhood can spend the same amount, some live below their means, some live above their means and some live at their means...you can tell by the temp of the porage.

Yes the Yankees can spend more then anyteam (maybe LA).

Most of the so called small market teams can spend money just choose not to, but you are correct in that we do not know how much each could spend.

Three teams I know of:

Twins before their owner died a few years ago he had more money then any other MLB owner.
Pirates owner a few years ago when Lemeiux tried to buy them said no. He went on to say that "why should I sell when I am making money just on owning the team."
Marlins have had the Union file charges against them because they do not use the Luxery Tax for payroll.

Having the biggest market and one of the two biggest TV contracts and an owner willing to spend makes it easier to get the players you want, but it does not make you a winner.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the Yankees can spend more then anyteam (maybe LA).

Most of the so called small market teams can spend money just choose not to, but you are correct in that we do not know how much each could spend.

Three teams I know of:

Twins before their owner died a few years ago he had more money then any other MLB owner.
Pirates owner a few years ago when Lemeiux tried to buy them said no. He went on to say that "why should I sell when I am making money just on owning the team."
Marlins have had the Union file charges against them because they do not use the Luxery Tax for payroll.

Having the biggest market and one of the two biggest TV contracts and an owner willing to spend makes it easier to get the players you want, but it does not make you a winner.

I still can't stand they won't let Cuban own a team, fine if they won't let him have a big market team but let him buy a small market team, I could only dream he would buy the Royals, not only for the money but because I love his approach.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't stand they won't let Cuban own a team, fine if they won't let him have a big market team but let him buy a small market team, I could only dream he would buy the Royals, not only for the money but because I love his approach.

he knows as well as anybody that it's never going to happen.

he's always spoken without a filter, but when he realized he had completely and permanently estranged himself from the MLB establishment, he really let it all go. lol.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He would be fun to watch. Cuben would have field level seats and be arguing with both the Umps and his own manager.