• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wow - Pens are done, Habs move on

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to beat a dead horse here, but the difference is that Pittsburgh has proven they can win, the Caps have yet to make it to the conference finals.

It's true. But we will someday soon. :)

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't believe that was the last game at the Igloo. It's just sinking in right now. Ending a season like that is rough, but realizing there won't be anymore games under that domed roof is just... weird...

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does Montreal's toppling of the Prez Trophy winner and the back-to-back Eastern Conference winners rank?

Hard to believe the Habs are one step away from the Stanley Cup finals. Pretty amazing stuff.

I can only imagine the grin on your face while you created this thread...

;)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
this is a Cinderella story (from outta nowhere) for sure.
congrats Habs fans.

miamiforlife81

It's All About The U!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just can't believe that was the last game at the Igloo. It's just sinking in right now. Ending a season like that is rough, but realizing there won't be anymore games under that domed roof is just... weird...

Same here, it's sad actually. All the memories.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only imagine the grin on your face while you created this thread...

;)

Why? I think it's pretty damn amazing what the Habs have done. If they make the SCF, it might be the most unlikely run to the Finals in a couple decades.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Why? I think it's pretty damn amazing what the Habs have done. If they make the SCF, it might be the most unlikely run to the Finals in a couple decades.

probably since the last improbable Habs run, when they won 10 straight overtimes on their way to 16 wins.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because when the Habs knocked out the Caps I had the same joyful grin. As did I when Boston went up 3-0 on Philly, but that grin has quickly turned into a stern look of concern...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to beat a dead horse here, but the difference is that Pittsburgh has proven they can win, the Caps have yet to make it to the conference finals.

deadhorse.jpg

It took the Sharks 5 years to make it to the conference finals, but they did it. If Washington doesn't blow things up, they'll make it eventually too. They have too much talent not to.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because when the Habs knocked out the Caps I had the same joyful grin. As did I when Boston went up 3-0 on Philly, but that grin has quickly turned into a stern look of concern...

I think mostly it's reassuring in some way b/c it makes you feel like there isn't something fundamentally wrong with your team or franchise. Even though I don't believe that, if the Pens knock off the Habs, you have to say "maybe we are just doing something wrong?" Not that there aren't things the Caps could improve upon and I think will in the offseason and next year.

But this is hockey. A team that isn't as talented finds it's stride, or gets a hot goalie, or plays beyond what it should. I mean, the Caps did it back in '98. We knew we had ZERO shot in the Finals, but it was a fun ride.

It's a shame it reared it's head against us this year of all years, but again, that's hockey. And our team is still young and they'll be back next year as will Pittsburgh. And hopefully we'll get that Pens-Caps Conference Final we've all been hoping would materialize this year.

In the meantime, I'll be pulling for the cinderella story (the Habs) and the Sharks (who are kinda like the Caps' choking cousin out West).

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell of a run going for the Habs. Good to see an underdog advance.

I think Urk said it, they remind me of Edmonton as well.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of funny that not long ago, Gainey was resigning in shame and the fan base was complaining about how he ruined the team last summer. Now they have an ECF team with two young stud goalies for trade bait.

I really think he resigned on his own and not in shame. The team had about the same record it did at the same time last year. And I just haven't heard anyone in the know even hint that he was forced out. I know Puckdaddy on Yahoo during his fearless preseason predictions predicted he would "be given the boot" and after the season counted that one as correct. But I don't think it was.

Either I think he got a bit of a bum deal with all of his signings and trades last season with their local media and the national medias (TSN and CBC). When they talked about the players that left many reports always stated that Gainey lost them. The truth was only one player was even offered a contract and that was Kovalev. So he didn't lose anyone, he let players go. And after last seasons locker room squabbles it was a good idea. Plus, who that he traded or did not sign had a good year?

I know Gomez's salary is huge, but according to Cammalleri and Gionta the fact that Gomez was on the Habs was a big selling point for them to come to Montreal. I think they all had decent seasons; I would have liked to see Cammalleri and Gionta's numbers if they hadn't been hurt for almost 20 games each. All of them have shown up in the playoffs.

Even signings like Spacek and Gill which were laughed at turned out pretty well in the playoffs.

So in my opinion Gainey deserves a lot of credit for this teams success.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, I'm actually over this already. It was really tough last night, more so because it was the last game at the Mellon than it just being the end of the season. After I cried into my beer a little bit, I thought about how spoiled I am as a hockey fan, and it then became hard to feel sorry for myself.

GO SHARKS!

And Montreal would be alright too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm just happy this didn't go to overtime and have the Pens lose like that. This way the countdown is on and it can sink in over some time and just isn't ended in a heartbeat.

But gotta give the Habs credit for sticking to their game plan. Even if it isn't the most entertaining to watch, it sure is effective. Props to them.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the habs will be in the final...i can guarentee that (unless there's a halak breakdown). but which ever western team makes it will steam roll them. just my feeling.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Same here, it's sad actually. All the memories.

I went to the last game at Texas stadium. Before the game I fell across a bunch of chair backs, and into the hand rail at the bottom of the steps, made of angle iron. I had a beer in one hand, and my camera in the other. I took the blow full force to me chest, and hit so hard it forced air from one of my lungs into the sac around my heart. I have pretty solid and thick pecs, so it didn't break my sternum, but bruised it really bad.

The insult to that injury was watching the Ravens run back to back 80 yard runs to seal the deal, and close out Texas stadium with a loss.

I didn't even hang around for the post game ceremonies with all the former Cowboys greats.

So I feel your pain.