• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you take Tyrann Mathieu with our 2nd pick?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyrann Mathieu - DB - Tigers

An assistant coach for an NFL team told Jarrett Bell of USA Today that former LSU DB Tyrann Mathieu admitted to failing over 10 drug tests in college.

"I quit counting at 10," Mathieu answered. "I really don’t know." The assistant coach went on to add that "if he flunked 10 tests before they suspended him, it shows that he got no kind of help." Teams have dealt with players who have drug issues and Mathieu is no different, but it will be interesting to see where he is selected.
Source: USA Today

Apr 12 - 11:16 AM

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is probably new only to the public. I'm sure the NFL teams were well aware of this.

Interesting thought by an assistant NFL coach:

“If he flunked 10 tests before they suspended him, it shows that he got no kind of help,” the coach said."

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
man.. that just crushed his stock.. I would say easily attainable in the 4th now.

And well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man.. that just crushed his stock.. I would say easily attainable in the 4th now.

And well worth it.

There is no way that this hurts his stock. It is nothing that no one has known in the past, we have all known that he has had drug problems, it shouldn't come to a surprise to anyone. Did we know the amount of tests that he failed? No, but I think if anything it makes LSU look worse.

His stock right now is sky high and if he makes it out of the 2nd round I will be absolutely shocked.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no way that this hurts his stock. It is nothing that no one has known in the past, we have all known that he has had drug problems, it shouldn't come to a surprise to anyone. Did we know the amount of tests that he failed? No, but I think if anything it makes LSU look worse.

His stock right now is sky high and if he makes it out of the 2nd round I will be absolutely shocked.

:agree:

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
In my opinion, while it definitely doesn't shine positive for LSU, I don't believe it will be somewhat "dismissed". I think this reinforces that he has a severe drug addiction possibility and it isn't worth the risk to most teams in the second round when they could get someone with limited situational risk. Now, a team like Green Bay, or us, we have the locker room to support/control a strong addiction issue easier. I would be highly surprised to see him go on the second day. Now, that shouldn't understate my affection for him as a slot corner prospect. I would love if we got him with our last third rounder.. LOVE IT..

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Too much baggage for third round for me. I'd strongly consider him in the 4th if he got there, and I was confident enough he wasn't going to become a drug addict as soon as he cashed in his first paycheck." do you kno how many athletes smoke weed? 65% of em hell 50% of amarica dose that hardly baggage him being immature yeah but thats not flying in SF even crabby got his ish together!!

Not accurate. Stoners like to think this, but it's not close.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So as I said in the draft thread, I might have to let up on the Heroin Badger a little bit based solely on how little I like the CBs who I think will be available (unless Darius Slay is there in the 2nd). There's still no way in hell I'd use a 2nd rounder on him, but I might have to support a reach in the 3rd if the Niners don't get either David Amerson or Darius Slay.

Not a huge fan of Jamar Taylor or DJ Hayden. And Milliner, Trufant & Rhodes will be gone.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So as I said in the draft thread, I might have to let up on the Heroin Badger a little bit based solely on how little I like the CBs who I think will be available (unless Darius Slay is there in the 2nd). There's still no way in hell I'd use a 2nd rounder on him, but I might have to support a reach in the 3rd if the Niners don't get either David Amerson or Darius Slay.

Not a huge fan of Jamar Taylor or DJ Hayden. And Milliner, Trufant & Rhodes will be gone.

What scares you about Hayden?

Also, I've never seen you take on another corner...Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

There are other guys as well such as Alford, Logan Ryan, and a very late round prospect in Tharold Simon. Ryan, I don't like all that much but the other guys I've mentioned could all be considered steals based on the type of teams they go to (they need to fit a certain scheme to harness their potential).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of NFLers smoke pot in the time period where they aren't drug tested. It is the really dumb ones that chance it when they are tested that you have to worry about. This kid falls into that category.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What scares you about Hayden?

Also, I've never seen you take on another corner...Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

Nothing "scares" me about Hayden, but when I see him ranked as a 1st round pick I think reach. He's a pretty good prospect who's quick to react appropriately to the play, but I can't imagine he'd be of much use against big, physical WRs in the NFL. He can tackle, but I don't see him closing on the ball the way he would need to; also at 5'11 with short arms, I don't know how effective he's gonna be at getting his hand in the way of the ball.

When I see him ranked ahead of prospects like Carradine, Hankins, Reid, Hunter, Hopkins, Jenkins, Moore, etc I think that would be a reach. And I like Slay better. I even like Ertz better than Hayden, and I'm not huge on him.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson? I'll be honest; when I watched Conneticut, I focused a lot more of Trevardo Williams than the CBs. So I'm gonna have to claim ignorance on this one.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Side note on Hayden: didn't he almost die from some freak heart failure issue? Not that this is why I thought he's a reach, but that certainly doesn't help things for him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Side note on Hayden: didn't he almost die from some freak heart failure issue? Not that this is why I thought he's a reach, but that certainly doesn't help things for him.

Yup, it's him alright! But it's a moot point because it's looking more and more that he won't make it out of the top 15:

D.J. Hayden - DB - Cougars

Houston CB D.J. Hayden now sits atop Mayock's rankings at the position.
Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Apr 18 - 1:50 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyrann Mathieu - DB - Tigers

Former LSU DB Tyrann Mathieu did pass his drug test at the NFL Combine.

This is a step in the right direction for Mathieu and a positive sign for his future. Even if he lasts until the later part of the second day, the defender formerly known as the "Honey Badger" will be one of the prominent story lines of draft weekend.
Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Apr 22 - 9:08 PM

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyrann Mathieu will be on the Jim Rome radio show in 5 minutes if anyone is interested...

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Came off well in his interview with Rome.

Said he wants to be a 49er or Patriot and the meetings with those teams went really well. Got a good vibe from the coaches. He was a 49er fan growing up and his first choice would be to play for the 49ers.

He's been working out with and getting advice from former LSU teammate Patrick Peterson.

Heard he could go as high as the upper 2nd round.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyrann Mathieu - DB - Player

Out of 12 NFL personnel people polled by the Journal-Sentinel, nine said they would not draft LSU CB/PR Tyrann Mathieu or sign him as a free agent.

"He's a hell of a punt returner, but he's not that great a player," one personnel man said. "Besides, we got enough guys on our team that smoke dope. Why do I want one that might be smoking it in his room the night before a game?" Mathieu's marijuana issues have been well documented, but he passed his Combine drug test and appears to have turned a corner. There's enough talent here that a team will take a shot on Day 2 of the draft. "I did not want to like him, but he is fantastic," another scout said. "I know he's 5-8 3/4, but when you watch that tape all he does is make plays, and he's an excellent returner."
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Apr 24 - 10:55 AM

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the Honey Badger. He's one of my favorite players in college football. But No.

He got abused by Da'Rick Rogers.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nothing "scares" me about Hayden, but when I see him ranked as a 1st round pick I think reach. He's a pretty good prospect who's quick to react appropriately to the play, but I can't imagine he'd be of much use against big, physical WRs in the NFL. He can tackle, but I don't see him closing on the ball the way he would need to; also at 5'11 with short arms, I don't know how effective he's gonna be at getting his hand in the way of the ball.

When I see him ranked ahead of prospects like Carradine, Hankins, Reid, Hunter, Hopkins, Jenkins, Moore, etc I think that would be a reach. And I like Slay better. I even like Ertz better than Hayden, and I'm not huge on him.

My boy Sick will change his mind in less than 24 hours from now:

D.J. Hayden - DB - Cougars

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport mentioned when speaking to a scout about Houston CB D.J. Hayden's tape, the evaluator started giggling.

"For a guy no one talked about a month ago, the buzz is nuts," Rapoport tweeted. "People love his tape." As they should. Unlike other prospects with injury questions, Hayden appears to be gaining steam and could be a top 20 selection thanks to his ball skills after locating the target in man coverage and his ability to quickly undercut routes.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 24 - 11:44 AM