• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you take Tyrann Mathieu with our 2nd pick?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Too many red flags for either of our second-round picks IMO. Our glut of picks - even working the board and trying to move into next year - will allow us to take some chances, and I'm not opposed to him generally, but not with that high a pick.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both. I've known too many junkies, and their brains are all fried. They become complacent and useless.
A marijuana junkie? Are you FUCKING RETARDED? Or just a troll?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe the late 4th if lattimore is gone.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think you draft him for his ability to cover big bodies, he's a nickel guy all the way and I think can excel at that. The question for me is, what round would I be comfortable drafting a nickel corner. I think I could be talked into using our late 3rd rounder on him.

My thinking is that teams will scheme to force him into those situations on 1st and 2nd down where he's left alone on a TE/big WR.

If he has a glaring issue covering those guys he would be tested repeatedly. If he needs help in those situations it opens other things up.

It might not be a problem at all. He could be an Allen Iverson type player against those bigger guys.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My thinking is that teams will scheme to force him into those situations on 1st and 2nd down where he's left alone on a TE/big WR.

If he has a glaring issue covering those guys he would be tested repeatedly. If he needs help in those situations it opens other things up.

It might not be a problem at all. He could be an Allen Iverson type player against those bigger guys.

either way, offenses are always trying to exploit your weaknesses, so if your DB is shorter, they get a bigger receiver on him. if he's taller, they get a small, quick guy on him. cause taller guys typically aren't quick.

for me, the really quick guys are more dangerous, guys like Welker, Harvin, and Tavon Austin. the reason is RACs, so there is a need for a CB who is quick himself. doesn't have to be Mathieu, but wouldn't let height alone get in the way.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31. J. Cyprien FS
34. C. Carradine DE
61. T. Mathieu CB
74. D. Rogers WR
93. B. Williams NT

That would be a solid draft. I'm not overly opposed to taking the honey badger at 61. I still think worst case, he's a good nickel cover guy and special teams ace (gunner and punt returner).

I guess WORST case is he can't kick the weed and due to continuous suspensions is out of the league in a couple years.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think you draft him for his ability to cover big bodies, he's a nickel guy all the way and I think can excel at that. The question for me is, what round would I be comfortable drafting a nickel corner. I think I could be talked into using our late 3rd rounder on him.

So you're admitting that he is limited! Man, I see him more as a safety that plays the joker position. Similar to someone like Troy Polamalu. His short area quickness, intensity that he brings, combine with his instincts is very attractive attributes for any defense. He's not a corner you'd look for to play the "slot"position. We already have Carlos Rogers to do that. I'd have a hard time believing that he wouldn't start as a safety for us in his rookie year. Even if he doesn't I strongly believe that he would be a special teams ace as a gunner by outplaying an already good one in Spillman in that role. I'd allow he and Chris Culliver to battle it at in camp for the FS position.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're admitting that he is limited! Man, I see him more as a safety that plays the joker position. Similar to someone like Troy Polamalu. His short area quickness, intensity that he brings, combine with his instincts is very attractive attributes for any defense. He's not a corner you'd look for to play the "slot"position. We already have Carlos Rogers to do that. I'd have a hard time believing that he wouldn't start as a safety for us in his rookie year. Even if he doesn't I strongly believe that he would be a special teams ace as a gunner by outplaying an already good one in Spillman in that role. I'd allow he and Chris Culliver to battle it at in camp for the FS position.

Of course he's limited...who isn't? My point is that I wouldn't ask him to cover Anquan Boldin, Hakeem Nicks, Julio Jones, etc. with the expectation of much success. However, I think he can cover those shifty slot guys (Amendola, Welker, Victor Cruz, etc.) better than anyone on our current roster can.

Rodgers is the guy that does that for us now, but if we can upgrade that position why not?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th round if they see him a Nickel Corner that can be our main return man. 5th or 6th if they see him in only one of those roles.

Though honestly I have no problem using our last 3rd pick on him if the coaching staff really likes him since it's at the end of the round. If we use anything earlier I would feel we vastly over reached. I think pick #74 or #93 should be used to lock up Lattimore as opposed to the Honey Badger.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I think it's safe to assume the Niners won't be draftimg Mathieu now that Nnamdi signed. Good thing too.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I think it's safe to assume the Niners won't be draftimg Mathieu now that Nnamdi signed. Good thing too.

I don't see how one excludes the other. If we were to draft him as a CB, then he could possibly beat out Brock or Cox. If we drafted him as a S, then he would be competing with McBath, Spilman, and Robinson for a roster spot. Hell, he could be a cheaper version of Spilman as a ST ace.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course he's limited...who isn't? My point is that I wouldn't ask him to cover Anquan Boldin, Hakeem Nicks, Julio Jones, etc. with the expectation of much success. However, I think he can cover those shifty slot guys (Amendola, Welker, Victor Cruz, etc.) better than anyone on our current roster can.

Rodgers is the guy that does that for us now, but if we can upgrade that position why not?

agree, given an opportunity to get a better cover guy, why not? we do need someone to cover the quick, shiftier receivers in the NFL.

doesn't have to be Mathieu and we'll accept this guy isn't as good in other areas (tackling, not prototypical size). the reason we'll accept this, is because we're not spending our highest pick on him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't see how one excludes the other. If we were to draft him as a CB, then he could possibly beat out Brock or Cox. If we drafted him as a S, then he would be competing with McBath, Spilman, and Robinson for a roster spot. Hell, he could be a cheaper version of Spilman as a ST ace.

I don't know that I'd want to spend a mid-round draft pick on a potential #4 CB. And Mathieu is not a safety prospect IMO. At just under 5'9 & 186 pounds? That's not gonna cut it in the NFL.

There are WAY too many good prospects who don't have all the baggage & athletic red flags that Mathieu does.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that I'd want to spend a mid-round draft pick on a potential #4 CB. And Mathieu is not a safety prospect IMO. At just under 5'9 & 186 pounds? That's not gonna cut it in the NFL.

There are WAY too many good prospects who don't have all the baggage & athletic red flags that Mathieu does.

I would counter that FEW in this draft class have the instincts and playmaking skills then the Honey Badger.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would counter that FEW in this draft class have the instincts and playmaking skills then the Honey Badger.

Exactly!!

This time of year, people put too much stock in the measurables like 40 time, bench press, height, ect...

The most important things are football instincts, football IQ, playmaker ability, and game tape and Mathieu shines in all those departments. He's the anti Taylor Mays!

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think it maybe lowers the chances slightly but definitely not out of the picture. We have too many short term CB's on our team still.