• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you let your child go to Penn State?

Would you let your child go to Penn State?

• Yes, but not for football

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's my child's legacy to go to PSU.

• Yes, I'm such a huge fan that it's been my lifelong dream for my child to go to PSU.

• Total voters

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go figure smart turns this into a Madison discussion.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get over your city dude. No one is impressed.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go figure smart turns this into a Madison discussion.

You might want to check who turned this into a Madison discussion.

(Hint: It wasn't me)

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart you really think I give a shit about a neg? :pound: There was no hypocrisy in my post. You are on a board that allows cussing, suggestive photography (until a few days ago) and does not allow children.

With your inability to see the difference between this board and a collegiate sporting event I want to say Congratulations. You have done it. I would not believe it before but yes you have done it. You have now convinced me that you are the stupidest person I have ever interacted with.

I will rep you.

edit: Sorry I can't rep you I need to spread it around but I promise I will get your stupidest person trophy to you as soon as possible.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also praised Athens, Georgia and Gainesville, Florida as walkable, cultural cities in this thread. What does Elmo say about those? For the record, I would also throw Lincoln in with those cities.

I'm still confused why people think it is so crazy to consider quality of life when they decide what college they go to.

So, when two people chant "ESFU" to one another it means that everyone is an awful person and going to hell. Meanwhile, posting this is completely acceptable. You have to love that Nebraska logic.

Your OP said nothing of 'quality of life' and only sited that there 'was a gap between people.' You then alluded to those in college towns only being able to drink and make more bad decisions than those in urban areas, which is not only incorrect, but hilariously hypocritical coming from a student at a school such as UW-madison.

You did then site some of what you considered benefits to urban culture, in 'more sporting events', 'better cuisine' and 'prettier geography' (LOLWUT :suspicious:)

By your standards Blacksburg is most definitely a 'podunk town,' although somehow when I was there, I was afforded the opportunities to work with local business owners and the local government to set up, participate in, and run countless philanthropic events, explore outdoor activities that I had never been able to enjoy or partake in growing up in Cincinnati, all in an atmosphere that relies so much on students and the University, that I was basically catered to in any facet I needed in order to succeed. I don't think any of these same opportunities would have been available if I were to have gone to school in NYC or DC.

And just because I know you're so into results, Smart, I was able to get a high paying job at an one of the largest international financial institutions right out of school during the height of the financial crisis, in a major city I had no previous connection to. Shocking, I know.

It's hilarious to me that you continue to make baseless, pretentious claims when your worldly, academic, and professional experiences are so minute at this point. It's immature and it makes you look like a jackass every time you post.

Last edited by a moderator:

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone Not send there kid there?

Now if the question was would you want your kid to coach there, then I would say No...

Too Much crap for him to ever be able to just Coach...

There was someone on First Take (I want to say it was Rob Parker, but not positive) that said until there is significant changes in the way they do things there, he will not allow any of his children to go there. The topic was whether or not they would let their kids go to Penn State.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart you really think I give a shit about a neg? :pound: There was no hypocrisy in my post. You are on a board that allows cussing, suggestive photography (until a few days ago) and does not allow children.

With your inability to see the difference between this board and a collegiate sporting event I want to say Congratulations. You have done it. I would not believe it before but yes you have done it. You have now convinced me that you are the stupidest person I have ever interacted with.

I will rep you.

edit: Sorry I can't rep you I need to spread it around but I promise I will get your stupidest person trophy to you as soon as possible.

He fully admitted that Badger games are not attended by people who are interested in/know anything about football.

They just want to get shitfaced and sing like it's glee club.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Stuff like this could happen anywhere. With it happening at Penn St, I'm sure they will be taking a good amount of precautions to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Don't think this hasn't happened at other universities. It just hasn't come out.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He fully admitted that Badger games are not attended by people who are interested in/know anything about football.

They just want to get shitfaced and sing like it's glee club.

Do you have a link for that or are you making shit up again? I've never generalized like that. I have said that the top of the student section is filled with people who are shitty football fans. I've also said that the bottom half is full with some of the best, most dedicated fans in the nation.

Anyways, i'll stop talking about this since you'll just accuse me of making every thread about the Badgers (despite the fact that you guys are the one who repeatedly invoke Madison...not me).

There have been some good posts made in the line of thought that I steered discussion in, so thank you to those people. Not surprisingly, though, you and HinSEC continue to troll me and avoid any meaningful discussion at all. I get that you guys like to troll me on the Husker board, but i'd really like you guys to stop doing it on the CFB board. Thank you.

Smart you really think I give a shit about a neg? :pound:

My neg had nothing to with your rep (hence my guarantee to rep you back). I just wanted to make sure you saw the message associated with it

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like this: "Billy, if you go to UT you will pay for it yourself. If you go to A&M I have a nice new truck for you and I'll pay for school."

Done.

In reality, my son will be going wherever offers him the best scholarship :)

That's funny. I did the exact reverse with my kids.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that you guys like to troll me on the Husker board, but i'd really like you guys to stop doing it on the CFB board. Thank you.

And I would like you to stop saying such blatantly and ridiculously homer statements but I really don't expect it.

My neg had nothing to with your rep (hence my guarantee to rep you back). I just wanted to make sure you saw the message associated with it

And I wanted to make sure you saw the message regarding hypocrisy posted twice now. I do realize you saw it and also realize you have no capacity to understand it.

It's not your fault, I hold nothing against you. It is probably genes and also quite possibly the reason you are an only child.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes? Why do you think geography/city planning/urbanism is funny? I'm sure the people who pay three times more to live in San Francisco instead of small town Nebraska would love to know.

Nah... Sorry Smart... you misunderstood my LOL... I was marveling how you got from the original Q. (to which you answered in your initial comment…) (Then where you went off on your tangent.... that is all)... "I get it; you are a Loyal Badger fan and love Wisconsin..." I love Cheese and enjoy eating at Culvers (when I am around one)…. But it has nothing to do with original Q… Yet…. Wisconsin is known for both of them

back on topic... I think.... :thumb:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would like you to stop saying such blatantly and ridiculously homer statements but I really don't expect it.

So saying that i'd want my kid to go Ohio State or Minnesota (yes, our hated rival) over Penn State makes me a homer, but constantly guaranteeing a national championship doesn't make your fan bases ridiculous homers?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I've said it before that I am not afraid to brag about the things we do well. If you have a problem with that, ignore my posts. That said, you have zero ground to stand on when you are defending people who not only brag about the shit you do well, but brag about shit that you guys are absolutely awful at while never acknowledging weaknesses (something which we both know I do all the time).

I've asked you to stop trolling me, something which you admit to doing with regularity. We come to SportsHoopla to avoid being trolled. Please stop. I don't know how else to put it. If you have a legitimate point, make it like the many people in this and other threads have and i'll be fine with it. If all you are going to do is nitpick without adding anything, politely quit responding to my posts. Thank you.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be proud of my kid to get to go to Penn State. Hell I'm going to be thrilled when he gets into a major college and does well.

So long as it's not UDud or OSewe. Then I'll have to kill him.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So saying that i'd want my kid to go Ohio State or Minnesota (yes, our hated rival) over Penn State makes me a homer, but constantly guaranteeing a national championship doesn't make your fan bases ridiculous homers?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I've said it before that I am not afraid to brag about the things we do well. If you have a problem with that, ignore my posts. That said, you have zero ground to stand on when you are defending people who not only brag about the shit you do well, but brag about shit that you guys are absolutely awful at while never acknowledging weaknesses (something which we both know I do all the time).

I've asked you to stop trolling me, something which you admit to doing with regularity. We come to SportsHoopla to avoid being trolled. Please stop. I don't know how else to put it. If you have a legitimate point, make it like the many people in this and other threads have and i'll be fine with it. If all you are going to do is nitpick without adding anything, politely quit responding to my posts. Thank you.

Peace Out

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not to mention that calling Raleigh, Athens and Gainesville large urban centers is a bit of a stretch.
Tell me about it ... And to say that Madison is a cultural hub is a bit of a stretch. It's a nice town but it's not Chicago or NYC ... And Columbus is nothing but a big college town. Not every state capitol is a cultural hub numb nuts

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with education. It has everything to do with how one entertains themselves and what values an individual has. I do think that there is something intrinsically better about cities with better cuisines, better museums, better music venues, more sporting events, more street life, prettier geography, etc. In a city like Madison or Minneapolis or Chicago or Washington DC or New York or Austin, TX, or Columbus, or Ann Arbor (the list goes on and on), you have everything you could do in a State College or a Champaign, and much, much more.

I guess one could claim it is elitism, but only in the most rudimentary manner. I don't think it is that crazy to suggest that having more options is worthwhile.

The population of Madison is 233,000. That's the definition of "podunk."

No offense.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
UW grads, in general, are fairly arrogant. I work with plenty of them. I know. It's a good school but not all that. I also work often with Georgia tech and Illinois engineers. They're a lot fucking cooler. And Madison is a nice enough place but you drive 15 minutes off campus and you're practically in Blacksburg tipping cows. Don't give us some elitist shit about Madison being a cultural hub. You have cows, cheese, hamburgers, a Capitol building, and some lakes. You're not fucking Paris..just another medium sized city.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW grads, in general, are fairly arrogant. I work with plenty of them. I know. It's a good school but not all that. I also work often with Georgia tech and Illinois engineers. They're a lot fucking cooler. And Madison is a nice enough place but you drive 15 minutes off campus and you're practically in Blacksburg tipping cows. Don't give us some elitist shit about Madison being a cultural hub. You have cows, cheese, hamburgers, a Capitol building, and some lakes. You're not fucking Paris..just another medium sized city.

Maybe my bearings are off. I consider 500,000 to 1,000,000 a medium sized city. I consider 233,000 a cow-town. Especially considering that the University of Wisconsin accounts for more than a tenth of the population of that town.

Again, no offense, but I think calling Gainsville, Madison, Athens, Columbus and Ann Arbor "cultural hubs" a bit off base.

Cultural hubs would be Tokyo, Paris, London, NYC (which Smart identified), San Francisco, Beijing, etc. Towns with a quarter-million population aren't small cities. They're towns. They're certainly not cultural hubs.