• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would/Should Lakers Stick w/ MDA Over D12?

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Retro, seems like you view the Phil and DET thing as a long-term situation or indication that Phil might end up there in some greater capacity?

I get the sense that he's just doing it as a consultant, which he's been doing for a handful of teams throughout the season already.

Also, not sure if you fellas are familiar at all with Roland Lazenby but he's pretty plugged in with Phil, Lakers, etc. and he tweeted earlier today:

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey BRS. I was mentioning several times for those individuals on this board that have yet to understand that Phil is going to be busy in Detroit for a spell of time in the immediate future and he'll be doing counsulting work to help the owner, a friend of his, find a head coach along with Joe Dumars.

And I have to post it several times to refute the notion that Phil wants to coach again. I never hoped to imply that this consultation work is going to take Phil into a greater permanence somewhere else but just to remind folks that Phil has other interests that may take his time and efforts away from the Lakers for more time than just a week or two but certainly not half or three-quarters of a year.

AS the tweet you posted suggested, Phil really wants ownership and he does want to work. He is not interested in running a FO. So consulting is the next best thing and I think he'd like to do that with the Lakers but as we have discussed extensively, short boy would have none of it. So, I suspect Phil will be doing consulting work elsewhere until things may change in Lakerland. If it never does, then Phil is working and not waiting around hoping something next to impossible will occur. Thus, the "elsewhere" includes other locations but permanence in any one position or location is probably not going to be happening either.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't imagine Phil would seriously entertain coaching again given his age and physical condition.

Why would Toronto want Nash at this point? I love Steve Nash and have great respect for him, but at this point in his career he's struggling just to stay healthy enough to play. With Kobe out, Nash will no doubt handle the ball more, but given his health and inability to play defense effectively, I can't see Toronto, or any other team, offering anything of real value for Nash.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Toronto want Nash at this point? I love Steve Nash and have great respect for him, but at this point in his career he's struggling just to stay healthy enough to play. With Kobe out, Nash will no doubt handle the ball more, but given his health and inability to play defense effectively, I can't see Toronto, or any other team, offering anything of real value for Nash.

That's the reason everyone here is looking at Toronto, actually -- because TOR overvalues Nash for his Canadian roots.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty lame reason to acquire a player :lame:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's pretty much what we already knew. Seeing some quotes from Dave Mcmenamin and Stephen A basically saying that Dwight Howard wants Phil Jackson. First, Sources -- Dwight Howard voiced displeasure with Mike D'Antoni to GM - ESPN Los Angeles

Here are some of the quotes from sources

On the meeting Dwight had with Mitch after his exit interview- According to sources with knowledge of the situation, part of the discussion between Howard and Kupchak centered around Howard's frustration with D'Antoni -- particularly how the center felt marginalized as the coach looked to Bryant and Steve Nash for leadership and suggestions and discounted Howard's voice.

On the removal of assistants Chuck Pearson and Steve Clifford- One source described the potential departure of Clifford, coupled with the loss of Person as "removing the buffers," between Howard and D'Antoni, "which is a bad thing."

Stephen A also had an interview on Max and Marcellus and while you can listen to the whole thing, this is the flash quote- This is what I’m willing to say definitively: if Dwight Howard does not re-sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, it is primarily because Mike D’Antoni is the coach.

If all of this is true, Phil must be brought back, there are no if, ands, or buts about it. Dwight Howard has all the leverage in the world whether we like it or not....and that leverage is the Houston Rockets. Jim Buss has to take a note from dad and do whatever it takes to keep the young superstar happy.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Kold. At this juncture, according to Phil and Mitch, nothing is going to happen to Don'tknowi. He is going to be the coach at least for next year. Short Buss has not said much but others like Mitch have. There is a good chance Howard will move along because Short Buss is not going to move Don'tknowi and the evidence that you posted is clear that there is a definite rift between Howard and Dontknowi.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers chose D'Antoni over Howard, I'm out. I refuse to continue supporting a franchise run by such stupidity. Absolutely. My loyalty has boundaries. It would be like the saying that I didn't leave the Lakers, the Lakers left me.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey BSR: I can sense your frustration and it is understandable. It is obvious to alot of people including many of the fans that Don'tknowi is clueless on how to manage all of the talent and egos he had and has on the team. But according to Mitch, Don'tknowi is there guy.

In the interim, Dwight is begining to make overtones and voice his displeasure of Don'tknowi or at least leak what he felt of the guy most of the season. I think the rift is definitely there and it is not going away. The Westfall analogy is appropriate here. What Short Buss does with it remains to be seen. If history tells us anything, Shortie will take the easy way out and do nothing and in all likelihood, D12 will bolt.

We will know in the next couple of weeks as the draft approaches and the signing for FAs period begins in July. One thing for sure, those of us who are lifelong fans will be hangin' around like myself. I was there back in '75-'76 when we went through a horrific couple of seasons so I'll be sticking around for this one as well.

I believe it will be a miserable couple of three years or so if nothing is done and that certainly looks like a reality.

Davwy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(2) What is this precedent Mitch is referring to? Magic ousted a coach and Dr. B covered for him. Before the Lakers selected Mike Brown, Mitch made it known that Kobe would be consulted.

BRS, I'm not sure they are referring to Magic, since the result was Pat Riley. Though, if he is, he's talking about how that was handled in the press and Magic later getting booed. But Dr. Buss had always said that was his decision and not Magics. And Magic was not a free agent either.

The only other time I can think of where there was a pending free agency coming is when Phil Jackson left the year Shaq left. Kobe was a free agent, ended up signing, and the Lakers hired Rudy Tomjonovich as head coach. I don't know if Kobe had a say so in that. Rudy seemed like a obvious choice, as was the only other coach available with a ring, (when you consider Riley and Jackson hogged a lot of the rings, Rudy had two. Larry Brown had one from that season.) But Tomjonovich ended up quitting as coach, but continued working in the organization. Health reasons were given, which seemed credible, but I don't really know the backstory.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard certainly has the right to play with any team he chooses and can come to terms with. I don't believe any player should be dictating who the coach should be. That is the Provence of the Front Office.

But, the Front Office needs to be cognizant of the players on the Roster or targeted to be on the Roster and match the players with the scheme implemented by the coach in question.

Unless the Lakers intend to keep D'Antoni for an extended period of time, they shouldn't keep him for one year only and let potentially good players slip away. If Little Buss thinks D'Antoni is THE MAN, then he shouldn't even waste his time trying to re-sign a player who doesn't fit the D'Antoni blueprint.

Of course, if Little Buss keeps D'Antoni, along with players who don't fit the blueprint, then he will only serve to confirm what an incompetent fool he is.

Whatever happens, I will always remain loyal to the Lakers. For everything this Franchise has achieved for decades, they deserve continued fan loyalty and respect.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Davwy: Good to see you finally made it over to this site from sleezeball slime SeeBS, A boatload of us are here. Just in time for the draft and to watch yet another drama with Dwight Howard unfold with Short Buss

Get past 40 posts and whole slew of bennies will open up for you in your profile. There is the "ignore" function that you can use if you sense trolling. Pretty cool. And you can download vids and bigger pixs for your avi than over at SeeBS. There are raoming administrators such as "The HammerDown" who are willing to answer any questions you may have. He's pretty cool as are the moderators on each individual topic location like here on the Lakers pages.

Good to see you made it. Is the real Jefe not far behind?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Precisely Silas. Short Buss is just screwing this whole thing up. But the chances of Dwight staying are dwindling as the days approach July 1. More should transpire the closer we get to the draft but I am not holding my breath on this one.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Precisely Silas. Short Buss is just screwing this whole thing up. But the chances of Dwight staying are dwindling as the days approach July 1. More should transpire the closer we get to the draft but I am not holding my breath on this one.

If he doesnt sign with us good screw him take your bick free throws and move on. If he does sign with us welcome aboard your just a piece to the puzzle.It's not like he puts up shaq numbers or anything.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I agree lasgop8. Its time for the NBA to quit quaddling this overgrown narcissist and inform him to quit whining and go to work just like everyone else. Yea, I'd like for him to stay but at some point in time he needs to work on his game because as you pointed out, at least offensively, his numbers are not Shaq-like and his free throw shooting sucks. Defensively he remains a force but at what price? More Dwightmare.

So if stays, great. If he goes, Lakerland basketball will go on and eventually there will be another player just as good if not better and on we will go.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance anyone here think the Heat lose this year? i really dont want to see bron bron get his second ring.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see anyone stopping them if they stay healthy except maybe SA. Popovich is pretty good at match-ups and he can put together a good strategy to stop the Heat. One thing for sure, that series would be entertaining!