• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would Mayhew get bashed for trading next year's picks?

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consistently winning franchises are built through the draft. Is that actually debated?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ngata was not a fallback. Ngata was a panic move. It was a good one but make no mistake Mayhew had no idea Ngata would be available or if he could pay the price. Planning and panic not the same.

IMO only..... :dingdingding:

well stated with the rest, JD... once again IMO solely

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, worst post you have ever made. It's a fucking opinion dude!! There is absolutely, positively, no way it can be wrong. NONE!!!! What in the fuck are you defining as an opinion??
Fine asshole. It's my opinion that you're really a woman posing as a man. As my opinion it cannot be wrong, and therefore must be true, yes?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what longest playoff win drought means, right?
My understanding is that it means how long it's been since said team won playoff game. Mayhew has been the Lions GM since 2009. You said every team in the league besides the Bengals have won a playoff game since then. That's not even remotely close, since about 1/3 of the league hasn't even been to the playoffs since Mayhew has been the Lions GM.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who's to say Mayhew doesn't make the same trade if he's able to sign Suh long-term, but Fairley walks.

Ngata next to Suh means running between the tackles really isn't an option whatsoever for the opposing offense...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine asshole. It's my opinion that you're really a woman posing as a man. As my opinion it cannot be wrong, and therefore must be true, yes?
Not quite. While an opinion can't be wrong it also can't be correct. It can be seconded as someone who shares that opinion, but that still doesn't mean its correct. Sorry. Now go fuck a Polar Bear.

Who wishes to second TP's opinion that I am in fact a woman posing as a man? His fragile ego requires support. I'm told its an ugly scene at the north pole when he doesn't get it. Often he sucks his thumb while hiding in a closet and crying. He can only be brought out with bribes of fresh cookies and his Green Lantern jammies. Who will help out a Lions brother?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A.) So an opinion can't be wrong, but also can't be correct? :gaah:

B.) They're fucking Green ARROW footie pajamas, and you know damn well I've told you that more than once! You do that just to piss me off, I swear!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who's to say Mayhew doesn't make the same trade if he's able to sign Suh long-term, but Fairley walks.

Ngata next to Suh means running between the tackles really isn't an option whatsoever for the opposing offense...

Oh HELL NO you just didn't.

You honestly believe if Suh gets re-signed (where the fuck was that money coming from outside of small cap hit this year or the usual re-structure to some more already fucked up contracts), Fairley walks, and yet you're going to put it out there that Mayhew possibly trades for Ngata too. I get it, that this is more bait than the actual prize here but c'mon. Where's was that invisible money going to come from to trade for Ngata and extend Suh.

I was actually laughing my ass off when some in here thought there'd be a couple big $$ signings. That 17M went real quick to Ngata, Walker, Ross, Johnson, Mathis, Prater, Bynes, Hunter, Tapp and whoever the fuck I forgot to add in there also.

I need to go change the ManPon...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh and Ngata together? The would have to widen the hash marks at Ford feild to fit them both.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 17M went real quick to Ngata, Walker, Ross, Johnson, Mathis, Prater, Bynes, Hunter, Tapp and whoever the fuck I forgot to add in there also.
Draft picks. Gotta have some left over for draft picks.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am truly aware there on that fact.

I was merely trying/attempting to state that all but the draft pool money was pretty much already gone outside of a couple more cuts that'll be coming sometime in the near future.

but yeah, I didn't come right out state exactly what you did.

Last I checked there was less than 4M left and it was going to cost roughly 4.1M for draft. something like that. I'm not checking so bash away bash away til I find that stash of my H**H or shatter, whichever.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it's called perception, as in there's a perception that Mayhew is bad at drafting because people don't pay attention to how other teams draft so they've developed an unrealistic sense of how well they think a GM should do in the draft...

Realistically it could mean that many of the GMs suck. Just because the same situation happens to Packers or Pats in a draft does not excuse our GM ... However it damn sure means that those GMs had a bad draft also. Mayhew had 2 bad drafts back to back. No matter anyones perception of it.
2011/2012 utterly sucked. As even you have stated the you have to let it play out. Well it has and they sucked. 2013 was a grand slam IMO. He had a helluva draft.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the 4th and 5th round picks being too much, who knows how many teams were on the phone with the ravens? They were in this position because of the poor future planning the season before. I'd agree that their hand was forced. After not retaining Suh's services I'd imagine the staff couldn't be happier with the former raven as two coaches were familiar with him having coached him previously. I'm sure Austin already knows exactly how to use him.
Some are wanting to use draft picks to move up to draft unproven players, I actually don't mind this particular move as you're getting a proven commodity, an all pro type DT. I'll hate the trade if they can't get him an appropriate extension. If they do get something done, very little was given up to assure he landed in Detroit vs. engaging in a bidding war with so many teams that had a lot more money to spend than we had.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll hate the trade if they can't get him an appropriate extension
This.

As I've stated before, 4th and 5th rounders aren't usually sure fire starters, at least not right away. With Ngata, we know exactly what we're getting. And more importantly, like LP stated, two coaches already have experience with him, and I'm sure Ngata is happy to be with familiar coaches.

But, if we don't re-structure his current deal to a 2-3 year deal, I'll be upset. But, knowing he's with familiar coaches, as well as an up-and-coming defense, my money is on him staying for a few years.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, if we don't re-structure his current deal to a 2-3 year deal, I'll be upset. But, knowing he's with familiar coaches, as well as an up-and-coming defense, my money is on him staying for a few years.

Isn't Ngata in the last year of his contract? So we'd just have to sign him to a new contract. I agree with you -- He stated he feels he has 3-4 more years of good football left. If he plays well next year -- I hope the Lions are able to keep him without going too crazy on his contract.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Ngata in the last year of his contract? So we'd just have to sign him to a new contract. I agree with you -- He stated he feels he has 3-4 more years of good football left. If he plays well next year -- I hope the Lions are able to keep him without going too crazy on his contract.
I'd want a deal done before seeing how the year goes. Do we really want to get a deal done in the 11th hour before he becomes a free agent?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd want a deal done before seeing how the year goes. Do we really want to get a deal done in the 11th hour before he becomes a free agent?

Yeah, very true. It'd depend on how much he would be looking to get, I suppose. I think we have witnessed what happens when we wait till the 11th hour. Good things do not happen.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I meant by re-structuring him is what LP stated. If he has an insane year, he's gonna want more than what he'd prolly get right now.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am truly aware there on that fact.

I was merely trying/attempting to state that all but the draft pool money was pretty much already gone outside of a couple more cuts that'll be coming sometime in the near future.

but yeah, I didn't come right out state exactly what you did.

Last I checked there was less than 4M left and it was going to cost roughly 4.1M for draft. something like that. I'm not checking so bash away bash away til I find that stash of my H**H or shatter, whichever.

SHIT, man. You have to smoke that shit before reading the board. Makes all the difference.