• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would Mayhew get bashed for trading next year's picks?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vOzOoA.gif

I'll give up Van Noy and our first rounder to scoop up this guy and play him at SLB in our 4-3

why in the world give up on VanNoy. he had core surgery. it's an extensive surgery that can take up to 9-12 months to fully recover from. hell the Tigers Miggy and Verlander both had core surgeries last year and neither were at full capacity the whole year. Miggy had a great year when you consider what 99% of all others would have as far as production goes but you could tell he nor Verlander had the same strength before.

I like Beasley, ALOT, but no way would I give up on VanNoy so soon.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it's called perception, as in there's a perception that Mayhew is bad at drafting because people don't pay attention to how other teams draft so they've developed an unrealistic sense of how well they think a GM should do in the draft...

You perfectly described Mayhew's biggest supporters.

They don't think he sucks as bad as he really does because they don't follow the NFL with the same passion and attention as they do the Lions. Not a bad thing but fans who passionately follow all 32 teams will tell you Mayhew is not good at the draft.

Even Mayhew will tell you himself. :-)

Lions G.M. Martin Mayhew admits he botched the 2011 draft | ProFootballTalk

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then there's the 2013 draft that was the best in the league. That was all Xanders, though, right?

Good to see that perception continues to dominate reality around here...

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say names, but do I hear defense of Mayhew from the same people who said it was ok to give up 2 draft picks for a player because we never hit on 4th and 5th rounders?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's ok to give up two mid-round picks for a 5 time All-Pro. That's just good common sense. People over-value draft picks, imo.

We could roll the dice on a pair of guys that, historically (not just with the Lions, but ALL teams) don't pan out very often, or we can get a guaranteed high-level starter with said picks.

Seems pretty black-and-white to me...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it's called perception, as in there's a perception that Mayhew is bad at drafting because people don't pay attention to how other teams draft so they've developed an unrealistic sense of how well they think a GM should do in the draft...

Suck it Paulus!!!

He's good at trades and free agency. He needs to go take a vacation on draft weekend though.

He is?? Say no to crack.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think landing a 5 time All-Pro for a 4th and 5th round pick is a bad deal for us?

Yes, and no.

It had to be done. But it reeked of desperation and he gave up too much. Ravens were in a tough spot and would have had to cut him.

He did what he had to do but he created the mess that required it. I really think a 5th round pick next year would have gotten it done.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why in the world give up on VanNoy. he had core surgery. it's an extensive surgery that can take up to 9-12 months to fully recover from. hell the Tigers Miggy and Verlander both had core surgeries last year and neither were at full capacity the whole year. Miggy had a great year when you consider what 99% of all others would have as far as production goes but you could tell he nor Verlander had the same strength before.

I like Beasley, ALOT, but no way would I give up on VanNoy so soon.

I'd still take my chances with Beasley and Ziggy off the edge. QB's stepping right into the waiting arms of Ngata.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's ok to give up two mid-round picks for a 5 time All-Pro. That's just good common sense. People over-value draft picks, imo.

We could roll the dice on a pair of guys that, historically (not just with the Lions, but ALL teams) don't pan out very often, or we can get a guaranteed high-level starter with said picks.

Seems pretty black-and-white to me...

This logic is basically simplified to percentages. The draft picks have a less chance of turning out than an already proven player. But the logic is basic, in the fact that it also assumes there is no risk that a player at a higher age will/can suddenly drop in production. Besides the fact that if you hit on a draft pick you are paying him pennies on the dollar in comparison.

I vet the Ngata trade, because we needed a DT badly, but don't try to devalue draft picks. If any team traded all draft picks for proven players, most likely they would be way over the cap or headed for it very soon. Drafting well > getting value for draft picks via proven players. And that's not really even close.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew signs Pettigrew to an extension then drafts a TE very high.

Mayhew has no fall back if the Lions loose Suh.

Mayhew and Lewand restructure Suh's deal twice making him incapable of franchising.

The Lions have the most dead space on the books in the division.

Titus Young pick / LeShoure / Broyles / Best / I don't care if we wanted a different guy or not you can not whiff on high picks.

No players on the roster from 2010 or 2011 draft

Restructured Stafford deal makes him our QB with no chance to walk away for years.

Those are all pretty much facts why I do not like the guy as a GM. He is the paid professionals not us fans that do voice our opinion. I expect him to know who is a fit on draft day. How to manage a salary cap, how to plan 2-3 years ahead.

Wait!

Didn't Mayhew choose to keep Pettigrew BEFORE the draft? That would mean that he didn't know he was going to draft Ebron. Plus, nobody in this forum knows exactly how or why they picked Ebron. The jury is still out on him also.

The fall back plan was to get Ngata, I assume. Maybe, just maybe they could've kept Suh but they would be paying a ton of money. The whole situation is a wash. Teams lose good players all the time.

There are some financial management issues but I think a little bit of it comes from the situation they were handed. Hard to sustain a quality team without making some investments.

Young, LeShoure and Best were decent picks at the time. Mayhew took some chances and it backfired for whatever reason. The Broyles pick was awful.

Who cares about 2010 and 2011 players?

Why walk away from the best QB we've had in years?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then there's the 2013 draft that was the best in the league. That was all Xanders, though, right?

That was the first year he was on board, so it obviously helped.

Any comment on Mayhew agreeing w me and others that he fucks up entire drafts? Or you gonna ignore that reality?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew signs Pettigrew to an extension then drafts a TE very high.

Mayhew has no fall back if the Lions loose Suh.

Mayhew and Lewand restructure Suh's deal twice making him incapable of franchising.

The Lions have the most dead space on the books in the division.

Titus Young pick / LeShoure / Broyles / Best / I don't care if we wanted a different guy or not you can not whiff on high picks.

No players on the roster from 2010 or 2011 draft

Restructured Stafford deal makes him our QB with no chance to walk away for years.

Those are all pretty much facts why I do not like the guy as a GM. He is the paid professionals not us fans that do voice our opinion. I expect him to know who is a fit on draft day. How to manage a salary cap, how to plan 2-3 years ahead.

Yeah, but do you have any facts to back this up? :)

Don't forget to mention while discussing the no fall back plan, that they declined Fairley's 5th year option and the only DT they had under contract coming into this season is Caraun Reid. Also don't forget Mayhew traded away picks to move up to get LeShoure and Best.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This logic is basically simplified to percentages. The draft picks have a less chance of turning out than an already proven player. But the logic is basic, in the fact that it also assumes there is no risk that a player at a higher age will/can suddenly drop in production. Besides the fact that if you hit on a draft pick you are paying him pennies on the dollar in comparison.

I vet the Ngata trade, because we needed a DT badly, but don't try to devalue draft picks. If any team traded all draft picks for proven players, most likely they would be way over the cap or headed for it very soon. Drafting well > getting value for draft picks via proven players. And that's not really even close.
Yes. Yes it is.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Mayhew choose to keep Pettigrew BEFORE the draft? That would mean that he didn't know he was going to draft Ebron. Plus, nobody in this forum knows exactly how or why they picked Ebron. The jury is still out on him also.

The fall back plan was to get Ngata, I assume. Maybe, just maybe they could've kept Suh but they would be paying a ton of money. The whole situation is a wash. Teams lose good players all the time.

There are some financial management issues but I think a little bit of it comes from the situation they were handed. Hard to sustain a quality team without making some investments.

Young, LeShoure and Best were decent picks at the time. Mayhew took some chances and it backfired for whatever reason. The Broyles pick was awful.

Who cares about 2010 and 2011 players?

Why walk away from the best QB we've had in years?

All I can do is shake my head at this post. Looks like Mayhew can do no wrong, even when you are handed the facts you asked for.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think landing a 5 time All-Pro for a 4th and 5th round pick is a bad deal for us?

I think that if you go from having one of the most dominant DTs in the game entering his prime, to being desperate enough to give up two draft picks for a 31 year old DT that was going to be released (because Rusty knew, given a choice, Ngata wouldn't be here), then I think you've fucked things up pretty good.

And Ngata hasn't been dominant the last two years. Hence why the Ravens weren't willing to pay him this year's salary. Don't think even for a minute that our problems have been solved. They've only been compounded.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is it your perception that it's the best?

Everyone else's perception is never reality but yours is?

What is the definitive criteria that isn't opinion or perception that makes it the best and/or not the work of Xander's?