• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst officated game since the Seahawks-Steelers superbowl

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes pereira was an official but, from what i have seen/heard it is 50/50 and it usually is the defensive guys saying it was not a penalty and the offensive guys say it was

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mike Pereira: On Jacoby Jones kick return there is no holding on a double team block unless the defender is taken to the ground. He wasn't.

Except both guys are clearly holding. But apparently you can't call holding if there are two players doing it?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pereira = longtime referee supervisor and rules expert

you guys = not longtime referees or rules experts, who are also trying to find fault with the refs' SB performance anywhere possible

No mystery who I go with here.

Even if what he says makes no sense? Of course there can be holding on a double-team block. It appears that the point he is making is that a guy can be sandwiched between two blockers - who are not holding - and it's not a hold. But obviously when guys engaged in a double-team block are holding, it's holding whether or not they go to the ground.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody who has ever listened to Pereira's "explanations" shouldn't infer he's a rules expert.

Didn't he back up the official who made the wrong call on the coinflip which infamously brought instant replay back? And if the officials were right the majority of the time, wouldn't that alone negate the NECESSITY for instant replay?

I'm sorry, but I've been watching the game long enough to know what an illegal helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless receiver is. I've been watching the game long enough to know what PI is. Had they stated that the ball was uncatchable on that 4th down play, I would still be screaming about the holding/illegal contact, where "uncatchable" isn't in play.

I don't like the excuse of "well if we played better in the first half." Who cares? We played gangbusters in the second half, and the officials gave the Ravens the win by not calling penalties that were clear as day.

The NFL should issue an apology to every person who watched that abortion unfold on the field on Sunday, and short of that, they should at least acknowledge that their credibility is hovering around a B-league professional wrestling operation.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
First, the fact that you guys are still whining about bad calls days after the game is a very bad sign. We better not become some fanbase that can't let some bad calls go and talks about being screwed in the Super Bowl for years. I hate those fanbases.

Second, seems like everyone outside of Niners fans understands and accepts that in the final minutes, and *especially* final play of a Super Bowl, the rules change. The flags stay in pockets more often than not, and they're not going to bail a team out of a bad play like the poorly thrown fade to Crabtree. Yeah, it sucks that they called Culliver for a PI on the drive before when really, that's just as important as the last play, but that's not how it works. But that's how it is. Period. Life sucks.

Third, about the holding on Miller, do you want to just whine, or take the 10 seconds necessary to check out the rulebook?

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

Penalty: For holding, illegal use of hands, arms, or body by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.
Blocking notes:

(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, offensive holding will not be called:

(h) if the action is part of a double-team block in close-line play.

Exception: Holding will be called if the opponent is pulled to the ground by one or both of the blockers

So that's what Pereira is referring to.

There aren't many things more annoying than fans going on and on about refs, or lacking anything else suggesting some stupid conspiracy or bias. Bad calls happen, people make mistakes. They will usually go both ways. Sometimes they won't. Deal with it. Move on.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, offensive holding will not be called:

(e) if the action occurs away from the point of attack and not within close-line play;

The most important concept to understand about holding is "close line play." This phrase is actually a decodification of the former NFL and current NCAA rules regarding the "free blocking zone" which covered players on the line of scrimmage and inside the tackles when the snap occurred. If the players are involved in "close line play," then there will be no foul for holding if the defender is being double-teamed, if the action is away from the point of attack, or if the ball has already been thrown downfield. The exception to this enforcement is if the hold is flagrant, especially if it results in a defender being thrown to the ground.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Officiating Minicamp: Part III

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, the fact that you guys are still whining about bad calls days after the game is a very bad sign. We better not become some fanbase that can't let some bad calls go and talks about being screwed in the Super Bowl for years. I hate those fanbases.

Second, seems like everyone outside of Niners fans understands and accepts that in the final minutes, and *especially* final play of a Super Bowl, the rules change. The flags stay in pockets more often than not, and they're not going to bail a team out of a bad play like the poorly thrown fade to Crabtree. Yeah, it sucks that they called Culliver for a PI on the drive before when really, that's just as important as the last play, but that's not how it works. But that's how it is. Period. Life sucks.

Third, about the holding on Miller, do you want to just whine, or take the 10 seconds necessary to check out the rulebook?

So that's what Pereira is referring to.

There aren't many things more annoying than fans going on and on about refs, or lacking anything else suggesting some stupid conspiracy or bias. Bad calls happen, people make mistakes. They will usually go both ways. Sometimes they won't. Deal with it. Move on.

Which is exactly why the NFL has a legitimacy problem today. That's WWE shit, and the competition committee doesn't agree with that stance.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you think this is rigged in any way, let alone somehow comparable to the WWE, then I won't even bother discussing it.

Officiating huge games is difficult. And no referee wants his name in the newspaper, identified as the guy that determined the game on a bad call - they will almost always prefer not to make any call at all. This is common in every sport, for as long as I've been watching sports. Its probably worse now that there are 100s of millions watching and an insane microscope on everything that happens.......these refs don't want to go down as a guy that ruined the game.....hence, "let them play". That doesn't mean WWE, that is not unique to the NFL as anyone who watches basketball knows. The NFL does not have a legitimacy problem outside of a few fans getting way too emotional about their teams' losses.

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think this is rigged in any way, let alone somehow comparable to the WWE, then I won't even bother discussing it.

Officiating huge games is difficult. And no referee wants his name in the newspaper, identified as the guy that determined the game on a bad call - they will almost always prefer not to make any call at all. This is common in every sport, for as long as I've been watching sports. Its probably worse now that there are 100s of millions watching and an insane microscope on everything that happens.......these refs don't want to go down as a guy that ruined the game.....hence, "let them play". That doesn't mean WWE, that is not unique to the NFL as anyone who watches basketball knows. The NFL does not have a legitimacy problem outside of a few fans getting way too emotional about their teams' losses.

Redskins edge Cowboys on game-ending holding penalty - USATODAY.com

Penalty wipes out Buccaneers' game-tying TD, giving Saints last-second win - CBSSports.com

Pereira: Strange penalty plays big role in tie between St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49ers - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

There's others. I can post them if you'd like.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
None of those was a huge game, let alone the Super Bowl, with 100s of millions watching and every newspaper in the country ready to run a story about the game. There's a big difference. That's the whole point.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those was a huge game, let alone the Super Bowl, with 100s of millions watching and every newspaper in the country ready to run a story about the game. There's a big difference. That's the whole point.

All the more reason to call it, correctly. Once is one thing but three downs in a row? GTFO

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So in the SB it's okay for the officials to not officiate? The NFL competition committee disagrees with this stance, at least on the surface.

As for the game not being rigged, you're right. It's not like that's ever happened before.

Tim Donaghy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black Sox Scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A History of Infamous Point-Shaving Scandals - Mandatory

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OK guys, you win. Keep whining, claiming conspiracies, that the NFL would rig a game just to let Ray Lewis go out on top, whatever comes to mind. Be those guys. Complaining about officiating is fantastic and what *winners* do.