• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worse moment for your team

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the worst moment on Shields-Watkins field, that occurred 10/25/1975, the infamous North Texas hand-off.

Bill Battle was the embattled head coach of the Volunteers. Though he had won with Doug Dickey's recruits (11-1, 10-2, 10-2), the Vols began to slip as his own recruits assumed starting positions (8-4, 7-3-2). On the eve of the home game against North Texas, the Vols were 3-2, having lost to UCLA in Pasadena and to Bama in Birmingham.

Injury plagued North Texas came to Knoxville without 16 first and second string players, including their kicker. Having won their 3 previous home games (Maryland 8-26, Auburn 17-21, LSU 24-10), the Volunteers were expected to roll over the depleted Mean Green. That Saturday afternoon, Tennessee was unmotivated and lethargic, making uncountable unforced errors. They'd managed only 2 TDs against North Texas and surrendered 2 through poor special teams play and blown coverage assignments.

Deep in the fourth quarter, Tennessee was inside their own 25. They lined up in a 'Y' backfield, 2 backs evenly spaced behind and on either side of the QB. The Vols QB took the ball from center, turned to one side faking a hand off, then, turned 180 degrees and thrust out the ball in outstretched hands for the other back, only to place it neatly in the gut of a blitzing linebacker. The Mean Green scored and tacked on the extra point to go up 21-14.

Receiving the kick-off, the Vols started on their own 20 with less than 2 minutes on the clock. They maintained possession and advanced the ball to inside the North Texas 30. Out of time outs and with the final seconds ticking down, Tennessee lined up with one back, wide outs, and a flanker. The ball was snapped, the receivers bolted from the line of scrimmage, and the QB threw the ball out of bounds. The zebras ruled that the game clock had expired before the ball was thrown out of bounds. The game was over, and the Vols had lost.

I was there to witness this game in person. I saw this dark day in Tennessee football and beheld with my own eyes the infamous North Texas hand-off.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the whole season and Colt took a pounding. Sometimes it's not how hard you get hit but where and in what position was your body. He took some really hard hits during the year. This was not one of the top 5.
Just a frustrating injury. The hit was nothing that seemed out of the ordinary. It didnt even knock him backwards, but that is football. Sometimes routine hits hit you just right and you are done.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was only one replay which showed how hard Colt was hit. Colt was stuck up again his offensive lineman, when Dareus head-butted Colt's right shoulder and there was no place for him to go, so he took the full force of that hit.
In the open field, that hit would not have injured Colt.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg "God Damn" Davis calls a QB draw:doh: in the first quarter against Bama in the 2009 BCS NCG. Colt gets injured and title hopes fade.
-------
Hiring of Steve Pederson as our AD. What an egomaniac.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

Last edited by a moderator:

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg "God Damn" Davis calls a QB draw:doh: in the first quarter against Bama in the 2009 BCS NCG. Colt gets injured and title hopes fade.

Yes, let';s run our smallish QB nicknamed "Cart" from the times he's been given concussions and stretchered out of games into the heart of the Bama D-Line, the one corps on their team we know are elite.

Fuck you, Greg Davis!

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that was a speed sweep that was covered well by the Alabama cornerback which took away the pitch, causing Colt to then turn upfield where Dareus let him know he'd made a bad decision.

It was a baby tackle that hit him just unlucky. Don't rewrite history, bro.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:confused: Come on now, he did not hit him that hard. He had to trip just to fall on the ground.

exactly. Colt kinds sat down of his own accord.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1:
[Even worse that Simm's 4 TO's in one half... because that's not a "moment," and because that let Applewhite come in and almost pull off one of the greatest come-backs of all time... if it wasn't for that roughing the punter penalty.]

Gideon dropping that floater INT.
Colt, for like the 20th time led a 4th Q comeback to take the lead, and effing Gideon lets the ball slip right between his arms in front of his chest.

We would have gone on to kick Tebow's ass up and down in the 2008 NCG.

#2: Colt getting knocked out of the 2009 NCG early. Gilbert Grape had the ball down by 3 with 3 minutes left, and that's after Greg Davis was giving the game away in the first half. The winningest QB in the history of CFB at the time would have handled Bama.

#3: Simms' 4th TO in the 2001 CCG, the "pinky" fumble, which gave Colorado, a team we had trampled earlier in the year 41-7 such a lead even major couldn't being us back. If Simms would have been pulled after, let's say, the 3rd TO of that half, it would have set up the gutsiest player in CFB history, Major Applewhite, to take his stable of WRs to the NCG and play 2001 Miami in the last game of his career.

That storyline would have been EPIC, even for non-Longhorns... and at least would have been better than Nebraska getting CRUSHED by miami in the NCG.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Matt Ryan game was tough. The Natty was rough.

However....

WE FUCKING LOST TO JMU!!!!!!

THAT IS ALL!!!

I honestly took the Boise State loss harder. I was in a shitty mood after that all week and by the time the JMU debacle happened, literally the only thing I did was shake my head and laugh in disbelief.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a baby tackle that hit him just unlucky. Don't rewrite history, bro.

What's to rewrite? You would think I need to use word "if" when describing that game and promising a different outcome based on it or something.

It wasn't like the nastiest hit ever in football, or even close. But when you suddenly drop back a foot or 2, that means it was more force than hitting a wall. He was going in 1 direction, then suddenly he's moving towards the other direction. That's hardly a baby tackle.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly. Colt kinds sat down of his own accord.

:lol:

Well, what a lame ass quitter, just giving up on a play like that. He musta tweaked his shoulder while getting up from instant karma.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it back. FUCK! SIMMS!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4emo_ct02I]Colorado vs. Texas 2001 Big XII Championship Game - YouTube[/ame]

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why you trying to get me all riled up, bro?

We had it, man. ! We had it all. We block that punt. Major wins the game.

We go on to pull a friggin' Major Applewhite miracle in the 2001 NCG... greatest story ever told!!!!

Fucking Simms.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't read through the thread yet, but mine is, and im pretty sure another Trojan fan mentioned it, the 41 point underdog Stanford team. Fuck! That one hurts.