• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Hockey Championships and European autos thread

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow, that debacle today was even worse than the mess at Indy when only 4 cars started the race.

Also, I want that car.

I parked next to a regular C class wagon the other day.

Noticeably smaller, especially in the cargo area.

You'd be hard pressed to get golf clubs back there without dropping the seats.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty awesome hough:
My father in law was just saying it looked like they were drinking their beers out of actual glasses and not plastic cups in the stands … i think hes drunk but maybe lol

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My father in law was just saying it looked like they were drinking their beers out of actual glasses and not plastic cups in the stands … i think hes drunk but maybe lol
I was just reading how they did it. They applied the Aldi model:

At the track itself they had a clever system to accomplish this. At entry, you got a token that you could exchange for a plastic cup when you buy a drink. You hold on to the cup, and then hand it in the next time you get a drink for a new cup. If you don’t hand in an empty cup or a token, you need to pay 1 euro for a new cup. At the end, you can exchange your cup back for a token. Each token has a unique code that you could enter on a website to win something. Easy way to incentivize handing in your cup in stead of tossing it on the ground.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the least surprising announcement in the history of F1 announcements

I think this is awesome. I honestly feel like when (if) Lewis wins an 8th world championship he's gonna retire. And George is probably the next pure talent on the grid behind Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo. If Mercedes gets the next gen car right out of the gate, George will win some championships.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the least surprising announcement in the history of F1 announcements

I think this is awesome. I honestly feel like when (if) Lewis wins an 8th world championship he's gonna retire. And George is probably the next pure talent on the grid behind Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo. If Mercedes gets the next gen car right out of the gate, George will win some championships.

Norris, Leclerc.

Still wish MB had pursued Lando prior to his extension.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading how they did it. They applied the Aldi model:

At the track itself they had a clever system to accomplish this. At entry, you got a token that you could exchange for a plastic cup when you buy a drink. You hold on to the cup, and then hand it in the next time you get a drink for a new cup. If you don’t hand in an empty cup or a token, you need to pay 1 euro for a new cup. At the end, you can exchange your cup back for a token. Each token has a unique code that you could enter on a website to win something. Easy way to incentivize handing in your cup in stead of tossing it on the ground.
When I went to a festival in Dusseldorf a few years ago, they did something similar. The cup was a euro or so deposit.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A question for @forty_three and @Bloody Brian Burke as I know you guys are VW enthusiasts. I'm looking at a potential purchase of a VW Golf wagon as my '95 Volvo is starting to fall apart and I don't want to put any more money into it. My only concern is that it's equipped with the 1.8 turbo and I know that engine has been plagued with issues in the past. Do you guys think VW has ironed out the issues with the 1.8 turbo or should I steer clear and go in a different direction?

Edit: I should have added it's a 2018 with low kms (just over 40K).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A question for @forty_three and @Bloody Brian Burke as I know you guys are VW enthusiasts. I'm looking at a potential purchase of a VW Golf wagon as my '95 Volvo is starting to fall apart and I don't want to put any more money into it. My only concern is that it's equipped with the 1.8 turbo and I know that engine has been plagued with issues in the past. Do you guys think VW has ironed out the issues with the 1.8 turbo or should I steer clear and go in a different direction?

I remember reading a thread at Jalopnik a while back about 1.8T's losing oil because the piston rings were too thin and if that's happened all the pistons gotta be replaced which while I've never had to do it I'm assuming will cost a lot and you'd probably want to avoid it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I should mention on my '12 Jetta the tranny crapped out on me just as the warranty expired but it was mated to a recall-era TDI.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 1.8T VW engine had an oil sludge problem (My 99 Passat had that engine, but I never had the issue). They did a major re-design in 2004 which then led to a similar oil burning issue to the 2.0 Audi I have. But again, they seemed to have fixed that from 2014 on, like the Audi. If you can, find one with the VR6 engine. That thing is bulletproof.

As with any German car, service history is key. If the car hit every service interval, then any problems should have been headed off, and if for some reason it wasn't VW/Audi really looks positively on good service history. My 99 Passat had a Turbo housing crack causing a loss of pressure. Since the service history was so good, they said it shouldn't have happened and replaced free. Then with my wagon, the guy who owned it ahead of me kept good service up but never got the recall for the piston ring problem taken care of before warranty extension ran out. At 130k, my car started to deteriorate quickly with the problem and they covered the parts and I paid labor. Essentially a new engine for 2 grand. The original warranty was extended to 75k miles.

At 40k kms, it's still a baby. Make sure it's hit the first two services and keep up on it. You should be okay.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading a thread at Jalopnik a while back about 1.8T's losing oil because the piston rings were too thin and if that's happened all the pistons gotta be replaced which while I've never had to do it I'm assuming will cost a lot and you'd probably want to avoid it.

The 2003 Jetta my daughter had and my 2001 A4 both had the 1.8T.

Aside from being only 170 hp, they were solid engines while we had them.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2003 Jetta my daughter had and my 2001 A4 both had the 1.8T.

Aside from being only 170 hp, they were solid engines while we had them.
My 99 Passat fot to 212k miles and was mechanically solid when I traded it. It started to have problems like the seats were coming apart and the passenger side mirror fell off. Engine was perfect.