• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Hockey Championships and European autos thread

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't think in this form electric vehicles can really become the dominant mode of transportation. There needs to (and, I believe, will) be a better method of powering these things that don't involve incredibly costly natural resources and cost-prohibitive maintenance. Not to mention a power grid that doesn't overload anytime 5% of vehicle owners are charging their cars.
Top Gear nailed it when they called the current gen electric car the BetaMax video player. Amazing technology. And probably better than what replaces it. But too many issues with deployment for it to be feasible.

The primary reason I haven't bought one yet is I have 3-4 trips back to Baltimore a year and typically a long vacation road trip and most of those wind up going through coal country so charging stations are scarce in the areas where my range will go flat.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing I worry about (not so much here on Vancouver Island) is that the range of these electric cars is greatly reduced in cold weather (and last time I looked, a good chunk of Canada is still pretty cold from mid-November through mid-March).

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I figured a few of you guys might like this.
Somehow, that debacle today was even worse than the mess at Indy when only 4 cars started the race.

Also, I want that car.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow, that debacle today was even worse than the mess at Indy when only 4 cars started the race.

Also, I want that car.
Yeah, for the first time in my life, NASCAR rules made more sense than F1.

Was the Indy race you’re referring to over a tire disagreement?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the one The ultimate problem was the F1 cars were carrying too much speed through the last turn (Indy Turn1) and losing grip and blowing tires apart. Ralf Schumacher blew a tire and went backwards into the wall at close to 200 in Friday practice. Several other tire failures happened in practice too - for both Michelin and Bridgestone equipped cars. The drivers tried to protest and get a temp chicane put in at the last turn, but Ferrari said no. When they said they would run, the other cars that used Bridgestone tires went ahead and said they'd go too. There was just as much chance that at full race speeds the Bridgestone tires would pop as the Michelins but Ferrari had Michael Schumacher in fifth in the championship and with everyone else bailing he moved up to 3rd with no challenge. At the end of the day it was politics.

Funny how when Indy cars wanted to race the road course there, the first thing they did was build a section of the track that bypassed that high speed turn.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the one The ultimate problem was the F1 cars were carrying too much speed through the last turn (Indy Turn1) and losing grip and blowing tires apart. Ralf Schumacher blew a tire and went backwards into the wall at close to 200 in Friday practice. Several other tire failures happened in practice too - for both Michelin and Bridgestone equipped cars. The drivers tried to protest and get a temp chicane put in at the last turn, but Ferrari said no. When they said they would run, the other cars that used Bridgestone tires went ahead and said they'd go too. There was just as much chance that at full race speeds the Bridgestone tires would pop as the Michelins but Ferrari had Michael Schumacher in fifth in the championship and with everyone else bailing he moved up to 3rd with no challenge. At the end of the day it was politics.

Funny how when Indy cars wanted to race the road course there, the first thing they did was build a section of the track that bypassed that high speed turn.

I do recall reading about that now. I really wasn’t into F1 back then. In the past 20 years or so I have become a fan.

I know you’re not a NASCAR guy but did you see the debacle they had on the Indy road course 2 weeks ago?

The curbing in turn 5 came loose and ripped splitters off of the cars and caused about a 10-15 car pileup.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do recall reading about that now. I really wasn’t into F1 back then. In the past 20 years or so I have become a fan.

I know you’re not a NASCAR guy but did you see the debacle they had on the Indy road course 2 weeks ago?

The curbing in turn 5 came loose and ripped splitters off of the cars and caused about a 10-15 car pileup.
No, I missed that. I just went and watched the replays, that's crazy.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the A/C in my car started acting weird. Sometimes it wouldn't come on at all, others it was very weak. Called the dealer to see if it was a common problem. Yes, it is. Either the blower motor or regulator. They said it was at least a 5 hour job. Parts were 195 and the rest labor. They said it was probably gonna be 900-1200 all said and done. And they wouldn't be able to get my car in until Sept 3rd.

I just did it myself for 35 dollars in parts and a little under 2 hours of my time. I would have had it done in less than an hour but there was one screw I couldn't find and spent a lot of time on Google trying to figure it out (in the glove box is a bluetooth receiver and there was a screw behind that). Audi forums helped me figure out which part was at fault with troubleshooting steps. Youtube videos showed me how to remove the glove box, and Amazon had the part on my doorstep the next day. And my toolbox is primarily filled with bicycle tools.

Now that I've saved a grand, I am trying to convince Mrs 43 to let me buy a new bike.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Context: During the rain delay, Lewis Hamilton went for a "comfort break". It did not go well.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything was happening at the end of that canada usa world champs final :canada:

canada woman injured in the celebration lol yikes

/bar down winner in ot not called a goal. Play continues with all the canadian players saying the puck was in. Rod black says we’re getting word that was in … so they wait for a buzzer to stop play. And then finally they blow the whistle during play and celly starts right away lol

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIHF-women-world-champion.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She alternated between smiles and tears after she came back out on the ice. Easy to read lips and she said “its so embarrassing” a number of times … as well as “i snapped my ankle”. Wonder if she went into shock

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Iceman is calling it quits. I will miss him, definitely one of the most interesting guys to ever sit in one of those little rocketships.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bridgestone and Michelin.

Micehlin tires were blowing and unsafe.

Michelin cars did the pace lap and quit.

Schumacher won the "race"....