• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Word out of Giants front office...platoon in left field

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Giants will sit on their wallet again in searching for a left fielder. Baer said that they just may wait until later in the season to search for a left fielder if they need it. Looks like Choo and Elisbery will go to the teams with money to burn. The Giants don't want to lose a 1st round pick also.

If the Giants don't improve that left field position I will be going to less games this year and no new gear under the Christmas tree.

If they won't spend ...I won't spend.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're talking about the #7 hitter...that wasn't the problem last year. Starting pitching is and should be the priority.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't even get your hopes up for Choo/Ellsbury/Cruz. The Giants would be dumb to sign any of them anyway. All these guys would cost the first rounder, and the Giants would just be dragged down by another Rowand/Zito deal 2 years down the road. Plus, this draft is stocked with some great college bats who could make an impact sooner rather than later, Giants picked a good year to be bad and I wouldn't want them to waste their draft pick on a player who's going to be on the decline already.

I'll take a shot at Morse/Chris Young etc. for 2 years, and a draft pick for 6 cost-effective years over Choo for 8 years and $120MM when he's going to be 40 years old.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crap. This was THE guy we should have spent money on. Perfect fit. And he would not have cost us a draft pick. Too bad. We absolutely missed on this one.

And don't give me any "it's only the #7 hitter" rationalization crap. I've proved that wrong. Lineup improvement is lineup improvement, no matter what the spot.

Hopefully, we are saving our powder for Tanaka. I will forgive the non-signing of Byrd if we get Tanaka.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Signing old guys at the end of their careers is a classic Sabean move - when he can sign them cheap, after a down year. I'm actually surprised that Sabes didn't sign Byrd LAST year, to a minor league deal - that really is what he does.

Byrd is a *huge* question mark. He'll be 36 next season, he's coming off just about the best year of his career, his two previous seasons sucked diseased whale dong. He is just as likely to pull a "Melky" (bad seasons before, one monster season, signs big contract and then drops back into suckitude) as he is to do well next season. Although the Phillies' stadium is the place for him to put up pretty good HR numbers (not so much at AT&T).

Interestingly, Byrd is apparently getting the same deal Melky did : 2 years for $16M total.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing old guys at the end of their careers is a classic Sabean move - when he can sign them cheap, after a down year. I'm actually surprised that Sabes didn't sign Byrd LAST year, to a minor league deal - that really is what he does.

Byrd is a *huge* question mark. He'll be 36 next season, he's coming off just about the best year of his career, his two previous seasons sucked diseased whale dong. He is just as likely to pull a "Melky" (bad seasons before, one monster season, signs big contract and then drops back into suckitude) as he is to do well next season. Although the Phillies' stadium is the place for him to put up pretty good HR numbers (not so much at AT&T).

Interestingly, Byrd is apparently getting the same deal Melky did : 2 years for $16M total.

Complete with the positive test. Glad we missed the boat on this one.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crap. This was THE guy we should have spent money on. Perfect fit. And he would not have cost us a draft pick. Too bad. We absolutely missed on this one.

And don't give me any "it's only the #7 hitter" rationalization crap. I've proved that wrong. Lineup improvement is lineup improvement, no matter what the spot.

Hopefully, we are saving our powder for Tanaka. I will forgive the non-signing of Byrd if we get Tanaka.

No, no you didn't.

The problem last year wasn't the #7 hitter -- it was injuries and lack of pitching depth.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's being paid like a platoon player. He wasn't coming to AT&T when he can inflate his numbers in Philly.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we really missed out much on Byrd, his peripheral stats were sketch and his age and link to steroids are a concern. I'd still rather take a shot on Chris Young and platoon with Blanco, or even Morse or Corey Hart. They won't be enough of a difference to justify the extra baggage you'd get from Byrd.

Pitching side, still sounding like Giants are going hard after Haren, Hudson, Arroyo. Hughes and Feldman have popped up too. Sound like Sabes wants to get something done sooner rather than later too, his usual M.O.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to side with Mays-Fan on this one...

We have a window that may not be open that much longer, where we have a collection of solid players and solid pitching, and we have to maximize EVERY position if we can...

92 wins doesn't get it done anymore in our division.

Remember having a legit LF/7 hitter is also a depth move, WHEN (not if) we have injuries again next year we need to have more legit bats in the lineup.

I'm not saying Byrd was the end-all or the only option, but I too will be disappointed if we don't get a legit LF, doesn't have to be an all star but a platoon feels like a cheaping ou tmove, and we just can't afford (heh) to do that anymore.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we really missed out much on Byrd, his peripheral stats were sketch and his age and link to steroids are a concern. I'd still rather take a shot on Chris Young and platoon with Blanco, or even Morse or Corey Hart. They won't be enough of a difference to justify the extra baggage you'd get from Byrd.

Pitching side, still sounding like Giants are going hard after Haren, Hudson, Arroyo. Hughes and Feldman have popped up too. Sound like Sabes wants to get something done sooner rather than later too, his usual M.O.

Bryd projects to 280/330/420 2.0 WAR. He's a relative value at 16/2. He's a starter being paid platoon money. Agreed on the steroids taint. After the GOAT and Melkman, the Giants have no stomach for that.

Rumor is the Twinkies are offering Arroyo 3 years. If he needs 3 years, we're out. Too many solid arms due up by 2015 to go more than 2 years with anyone. I think we'll be hearing something soon on Huddy, and I also think Tron is gone.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no you didn't.

The problem last year wasn't the #7 hitter -- it was injuries and lack of pitching depth.

Disagree about the problem not being the #7 hitter. Blanco/Torres/Peguero/Perez/Kieschnick/Francouer/Tanaka/Gillespie et al was a disaster. Not our only one (yes the starters were a disaster for the first half), but a disaster nonetheless. Getting a legit hitter there is as urgent a need as we have.

OK, I was pissed and on bit of a testosterone rage. However, I agree with msg that we have a window that is closing (Timmy, Cain to a degree, an aging bullpen), and if we are to compete, it needs to be now.

Objectively, I am indifferent to signing a legit SP vs a RHH LF. We could use both. However, subjectively (as in I can't prove it, but I believe it) hitting is contagious. There is synergy to plugging holes in your lineup. Look at 2010, when at year-end, FSanchez, Renteria, and Ross emerged. The opposition couldn't pitch around anyone anymore. Everyone in the lineup was a threat. We have all lamented over the years when we had gaping holes in our lineup. It would be very interesting to me to see us actually start a year with no real holes 1-8.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree about the problem not being the #7 hitter. Blanco/Torres/Peguero/Perez/Kieschnick/Francouer/Tanaka/Gillespie et al was a disaster. Not our only one (yes the starters were a disaster for the first half), but a disaster nonetheless. Getting a legit hitter there is as urgent a need as we have.

OK, I was pissed and on bit of a testosterone rage. However, I agree with msg that we have a window that is closing (Timmy, Cain to a degree, an aging bullpen), and if we are to compete, it needs to be now.

Objectively, I am indifferent to signing a legit SP vs a RHH LF. We could use both. However, subjectively (as in I can't prove it, but I believe it) hitting is contagious. There is synergy to plugging holes in your lineup. Look at 2010, when at year-end, FSanchez, Renteria, and Ross emerged. The opposition couldn't pitch around anyone anymore. Everyone in the lineup was a threat. We have all lamented over the years when we had gaping holes in our lineup. It would be very interesting to me to see us actually start a year with no real holes 1-8.

I think what you'd need to look at is the average production from the #7 hitter in the NL. Then, you'd need to look at the Giants production there. I'll bet you find there isn't much of a delta.

Then, take a look at average production from the SP and compare to the Giants. HUGE delta.

A solid #7 hitter is a nice thing to have, but a solid rotation is much more important.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, regarding the 4/5 SP's, we have some legit alternatives with Gaudin/Petit/Vogey (presumably). Also, minor league help with our SP's is closer than our minor league help with LF, IMHO. Unless we call up a catcher (Monell?), move Posey to 1st, and Belt to LF, which is radical and risky.

:gaah::gaah::gaah:

Rant over.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A platoon in left field may be the best option for the Giants since they probably wont sign one of the big name free agents. Here is how I see the Giants options for Left field without factoring salary in:
Non-platoon options:
Corey Hart - Missed 2013, coming off surgeries to both knees. Can play outfield or first base. Wants to stay with the Brewers.
Left hand platoon options:
Justin Morneau - 1st basemen, would require Belt to play left. OPS of .819 vs RHP last season.
David Murphy - Good defensive outfielder did not hit well last season, but was real good in 2012.
Gregor Blanco - Kind of sad that he is one of the best options. Good defensive outfielder who can play CF which is a big plus.
Nate McLouth - .753 OPS vs RHP last season.
Kelly Johnson - .724 OPS vs RHP last season, with 16 HR. Really is a Second Baseman who can play a little LF.
Raul Ibanez - Real good hitting season last year. Is old, 41. Defense is bad because he is old. Old.

Right handed platoon options:
Paul Konerko - 1st baseman would require Belt in LF. Killed LHP last year with .923 OPS. May not be ready for part time position.
Chris Young - Only .712 OPS vs LHP last season, but has hit them well in the past. Has been a real good CF.
Rajai Davis - .857 vs LHP last season, good speed on the bases. Can play CF.
Andres Torres - Good defensively. .718 vs LHP last season. Don't really want him. But he may be better than:
Michael Morse - Not good defensively, can play 1st as well as left. Only .666 OPS vs LHP last season, has hit them better in the past. Low OBP, but has power.
Delmon Young - Bad defensively. .684 OPS vs LHP last seaon, but has hit them well in the past.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, regarding the 4/5 SP's, we have some legit alternatives with Gaudin/Petit/Vogey (presumably). Also, minor league help with our SP's is closer than our minor league help with LF, IMHO. Unless we call up a catcher (Monell?), move Posey to 1st, and Belt to LF, which is radical and risky.

:gaah::gaah::gaah:

Rant over.

Grope and Tron are FAs, and along with Petit are far from sure things in the rotation. We are already assuming some risk with Timmy; they want two surer things in the other two slots. I'd think Huddy and Haren will be the guys, with Petit and maybe Gaudin as depth. Tron, I think, is gone.

Bottom line: we have to solidify the rotation if we're going to compete with the doyers. If we can upgrade the #7 hitter too, then great. As you say, Peggs/Kiesh/Brown/JCP don't look like the answer, but may be able to hold the fort until either Williamson or Brown are ready. Downgrading 1b by moving BB9 to LF doesn't make sense at all.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grope and Tron are FAs, and along with Petit are far from sure things in the rotation. We are already assuming some risk with Timmy; they want two surer things in the other two slots. I'd think Huddy and Haren will be the guys, with Petit and maybe Gaudin as depth. Tron, I think, is gone.

Bottom line: we have to solidify the rotation if we're going to compete with the doyers. If we can upgrade the #7 hitter too, then great. As you say, Peggs/Kiesh/Brown/JCP don't look like the answer, but may be able to hold the fort until either Williamson or Brown are ready. Downgrading 1b by moving BB9 to LF doesn't make sense at all.

Has anyone considered moving Posey directly to LF against LHP's to platoon with Blanco, and just leave Belt at 1B? He'd be there like 40-50 games or so against lefties - a nice way to give him a break from catching. He's enough of an athlete and it's not that demanding a position that I think he could do it. And HSan has a .736 OPS as a RHH from 2011-2013, including .860 last year. So, in essence, we would be platooning Blanco and HSan in the lineup.