• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

wonder What A Slave Might Think About This Asinine Statement

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I still watch all of the games. Even if the Lakers are getting blown out or just aren't very good, I still watch. I figure it's my penance for all of the times I've gotten to watch them win (and will in the future). lol

Plus, over the last 5 years, I've enjoyed watching the kids learn and develop and see who is likely to be part of the long term and who won't be.
Last night was a disappointment. I just knew they was going to lose it in the final 5 seconds since I was watching. I work on my audits in the evening time, so I put my aside when distracted by really good game. The Lakers was missing LeBron, Rondo and then lost Ball, so they should feel good about themselves

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, that's how employment under ineffective management works.

That's a terrible way to manage employees. Not just because it makes you a douchebag but also because its literally bad for your business.
The part missing in the employment discussion is that the players are contractors and cant be fired. They can be traded which can be difficult.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part missing in the employment discussion is that the players are contractors and cant be fired. They can be traded which can be difficult.

They can be cut, benched or dealt with any number of ways.

Contracts in the NBA are guaranteed, but if a player isn't meeting expectations/doing their job, then they lose out on future earning potential.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate the real world comparison to the professional sports. The fact is my company could get 100 people that could do my job tomorrow at about the same level and probably less pay. If Lebron, Steph, Kevin and them left the NBA - no one would watch it.

Bullshit!

Bird and Magic left the NBA. People still watched.

Jordan left the NBA. People still watched.

Kobe is now gone. People still watch.

One of these days, these guys will leave the NBA.

And people will still watch.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit!

The point is, those guys are much harder to replace.

League average player, no. But superstars are irreplaceable.

Yes the league will go on if LeBron unexpectedly retires at season's end. But if ALL the players went on strike and the NBA tried to use scabs, no, I doubt very many people would watch.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you compare a guy making millions to a slave you have lost 99% of the people listening.

Millionaires and Billionaires didn't get their wealth and keep it by making bad decisions.

It is far easier to replace a Leveon Bell in Football than it is a Steph Curry in basketball due to roster size and nature of the sport.

So if Lebron really wants to prove himself right buy a NFL franchise and blow the salary cap on 5-6 guys and enjoy being the Detroit Lions for life.

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit!

Wait, what? Kobe gone?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can be cut, benched or dealt with any number of ways.

Contracts in the NBA are guaranteed, but if a player isn't meeting expectations/doing their job, then they lose out on future earning potential.
It's still quite the same as being fired. I UNDERSTAND THE REST, but as long as the player tries to play or pretends to try, he is going to get $$$$

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is, those guys are much harder to replace.

League average player, no. But superstars are irreplaceable.

Yes the league will go on if LeBron unexpectedly retires at season's end. But if ALL the players went on strike and the NBA tried to use scabs, no, I doubt very many people would watch.

The point is...

they are employees!

NOT SLAVES!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is...

they are employees!

NOT SLAVES!

Okay.

I don't think a single person on here is 100% supportive of LeBron's word choice. Pretty sure he would rephrase if given the chance. So I don't think anybody is arguing that part.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure he would rephrase if given the chance.
Personally, I doubt it.

I haven't jumped all over LeBron's case for this because it simply isn't that big of a deal... and I agree with a comment you made earlier in the thread that certain people are always under the microscope.... and LeBron is certainly in that category.

That said: I think LeBron believes his BS here and feels justified in saying what he said.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I doubt it.

I haven't jumped all over LeBron's case for this because it simply isn't that big of a deal... and I agree with a comment you made earlier in the thread that certain people are always under the microscope.... and LeBron is certainly in that category.

That said: I think LeBron believes his BS here and feels justified in saying what he said.

I don't know. He has a bit of a history of saying things and then walking it back a bit when the response isn't what he expected.

I think he knew the point he was trying to make, but he also wants attention for his show and said it in a more inflammatory way than he probably meant it just to get people talking about/watching his show.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. He has a bit of a history of saying things and then walking it back a bit when the response isn't what he expected.

I think he knew the point he was trying to make, but he also wants attention for his show and said it in a more inflammatory way than he probably meant it just to get people talking about/watching his show.
His "walk-backs" are usually nothing much, as is the case this time around too.

His "apology" in this case says it all... one of those non-apology apologies... 'I am sorry if some people were offended by that' or some-such...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His "walk-backs" are usually nothing much, as is the case this time around too.

His "apology" in this case says it all... one of those non-apology apologies... 'I am sorry if some people were offended by that' or some-such...

Yeah, I agree that it's a sorry/not sorry thing. I don't think he intentionally wanted to offend anyone. But he wants eyeballs on his show more than to not offend anyone.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LeBron has proven to be pretty ignorant when it comes to speaking about politics

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron has proven to be pretty ignorant when it comes to speaking about politics

So have you.

Because like LeBron, you only seem capable of seeing 1 side

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop patronizing that redneck moron's quotes. :dhd:
* looks around nervously *

Is this what it feels like to be a white person in a room full of blacks who are saying the N word?

tenor.gif

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So have you.

Because like LeBron, you only seem capable of seeing 1 side

I’m happy to talk about a real discussion. But when you start with ridiculous concepts like feelings or dignity or being the immoral side claiming morality, it’s a flat out non starter.

Talk about the fiscal implications of the wall and it’s fine. We can discuss that. Talk about the feelings of felons trying to invade and it’s a nonstarter for me. Only one is a real discussion.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, but does being black make it worse, or better?
Depends on where you live and what Generation you grew up in.

I lived in Compton, CA until I was 15 years old.

Back then, it was a lower middle class area.

From Kindergarten until 10th grade, we had one white guy at my school.

He had it significantly worse.

My children are biracial and lean heavily towards the Latino side of the family.

I currently live in Goodyear, AZ and nobody gives a Shit what you are as long as you don't cause any problems.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m happy to talk about a real discussion. But when you start with ridiculous concepts like feelings or dignity or being the immoral side claiming morality, it’s a flat out non starter.

Talk about the fiscal implications of the wall and it’s fine. We can discuss that. Talk about the feelings of felons trying to invade and it’s a nonstarter for me. Only one is a real discussion.
I understand both sides.

I don't know anything about you..

Where you grew up...

...and tragedies inflicted on your family by this particular population...

Nor your personal politics..

But, your comments make it seem like you lack empathy.

They aren't all criminals.

The problem is, we don't have a way to distinguish between those who are and aren't....

Unless you are Native American, all of our ancestors are immigrants.

Nothing wrong with wanting a better life.