• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wojo hired as Marquette's new coach

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doubt it, Coach K coaches for 5 more years, Wojo gets HC experience and heads back to Duke when K hangs it up

Wojo has been running the show for quite a while now, while K has been getting the credit. There is no way K makes it 5 more years. These 1st & 2nd (err 2nd & 3rd) round exits aren't going to cut it for the big donors at Duke.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Duke will be fine. They may slip after K retires, but Duke isn't going anywhere.

That said, I wonder how this could impact Wojo. A lot of people basically said that he was the Head Coach in waiting/ heir apparent at Duke. And no doubt if he goes to Marquette and sets the world on fire, he'll still be a top candidate for the job in a few years.

But what if he's "just" pretty good?
What if he's just ok?

How good does he have to be at Marquette to still be considered for the Duke gig in a few years?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Duke will be fine. They may slip after K retires, but Duke isn't going anywhere.

That said, I wonder how this could impact Wojo. A lot of people basically said that he was the Head Coach in waiting/ heir apparent at Duke. And no doubt if he goes to Marquette and sets the world on fire, he'll still be a top candidate for the job in a few years.

But what if he's "just" pretty good?
What if he's just ok?

How good does he have to be at Marquette to still be considered for the Duke gig in a few years?

Odds are he wont get there. Most heirs go away and never return

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it a little funny when Duke really hasn't had much of a point guard or center that people are already predicting coach K gone in less than five years. They have a good incoming class this next year, I think it may be prudent to quit worrying about Duke , they'll be fine. Other than J. Parker they didn't have any great talent this year. I liked Hood too but they were still missing a lot of key pieces.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it a little funny when Duke really hasn't had much of a point guard or center that people are already predicting coach K gone in less than five years. They have a good incoming class this next year, I think it may be prudent to quit worrying about Duke , they'll be fine. Other than J. Parker they didn't have any great talent this year. I liked Hood too but they were still missing a lot of key pieces.
-
isnt that a flaw in the coaching staff? I never understood this type of defense. College coach is the GM and coach. The fact that they did not develop/recruit a solid PG or center for this year was a major oversight. I do not think anyone thinks Duke is going to win 16 games next yr, just that Duke has lost a lot of coaching talent and that makes it harder for K to succeed going forward. It is just an added risk, not a guarantee.

Last edited by a moderator:

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
isnt that a flaw in the coaching staff? I never understood this type of defense. College coach is the GM and coach. The fact that they did not develop/recruit a solid PG or center for this year was a major oversight. I do not think anyone thinks Duke is going to win 16 games next yr, just that Duke has lost a lot of coaching talent and that makes it harder for K to succeed going forward. It is just an added risk, not a guarantee.

Quinn Cook is a true PG. His erratic play gave way to Sulaimon getting valuable PG play when he is really just a SG. That said neither one of them could stop anyone on defense. The whole staff lost the Mercer game IMHO. They have way too good of players to be losing a game like that. Man-to-man getting spread out with no inside rim protector and they could just as well lost to Durham High School. But Coach K is a HOF coach and I'm a poster on the SportsHoopla. What do I know?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinn Cook is a true PG. His erratic play gave way to Sulaimon getting valuable PG play when he is really just a SG. That said neither one of them could stop anyone on defense. The whole staff lost the Mercer game IMHO. They have way too good of players to be losing a game like that. Man-to-man getting spread out with no inside rim protector and they could just as well lost to Durham High School. But Coach K is a HOF coach and I'm a poster on the SportsHoopla. What do I know?

Every coach screws up. Every coach make bad evaluations. Great ones just make less than the majority.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke never had a rim protector all year. They have been missing a big man, Marshall Plumlee was decent but he's not a starter. Let's get things straight, not even Duke recruits like Kentucky. Their incoming class is pretty talented but year in and year out Calipari gets All American after all American.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone who thinks Wojoczylgsxgbhski leaving Duke is gonna hurt that program is nuts. I'm no Duke fan but Jesus Christ you're talking about an asst coach. This won't even be noticed

Agreed. Top recruits dont go to Duke because of Wojo. Duke still sucks.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wo-Jo method of success:

Dive after loose ball no matter how far away and hopelessly out of range.
Slap the floor.
Dive after another ball whether its loose or not.
Slap the floor.
Have Dick Vitale tell you how great your are since you dive on the floor.
Slap the floor harder.
Mentally envision your next floor dive during any timeouts.
Slap the floor as hard as humanly possible...and hope the vibrations knock the ball loose so you can dive after it.
Get on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College basketball analyst Jay Bilas of ESPN said former Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski is a good fit for the Marquette program.

Wojciechowski, 37, was chosen by MU to succeed Buzz Williams, who left to become coach at Virginia Tech.

Bilas played for Mike Krzyzewski at Duke from 1982-’86. He has an undergraduate and laws degrees from Duke.

“I think he fits not only Marquette, but fits that city because he is a blue collar guy,” Bilas said during a telephone interview on Tuesday. “Nothing has ever been given to Steve. He’s a humble guy but he is really accomplished.”

Bilas said Wojciechowski has operated as a head coach is some ways, but without the title.

“At his age, I can’t think of anyone who has more high level experience than he does,” Bilas said. “He has worked with the Olympic team. He was basically Mike Krzyzewski’s top assistant . . . . Eight years with the Olympic team. He has been every day to practices with LeBron, Kobe, Wade, those guys, and commanded their respect. I have been to some of those practices and he really did an amazing job on the floor every day.

“He’s a really good competitor,” Bilas said. “He’s an excellent X and O coach. He relates well to everybody. I think the fact that he competed at a high level guard helps. He has coached big guys. He is certainly not one-dimensional. He has seen the game from every angle.”

Bilas said that Wojciechowski, in his role as associate head coach, had significant responsibilities for Duke.

“He’s been relied upon by Coach K for years,” Bilas said. “He deals with his assistants as co-coaches. They are not just assistants. For several years now Coach K has been fully engaged but less hands-on in the drill work. So the assistants do that. Steve is about as hand-on as it can get. He’s really good.”

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke never had a rim protector all year. They have been missing a big man, Marshall Plumlee was decent but he's not a starter. Let's get things straight, not even Duke recruits like Kentucky. Their incoming class is pretty talented but year in and year out Calipari gets All American after all American.

K used to recruit like that. These things have an ebb and flow. Before K Dean Smith killed it. Not a slam at anyone, just saying that if a roster is missing something it is highly likely the coaching staff made an error in judgement. I am fan of Texas football, so I am quite familiar with coaches making roster management mistakes.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is that next years incoming class for Duke consists of the #1 ranked center and #1 ranked point guard. For the folks that say Duke sucks I say wait a season and find out for yourself. I don't care how good a coach you are you need players. Crean had Wade, and Buzz Williams has had quite a few NBA guys too. Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, Wesley Matthews just to name a few. No matter how good a coach you are you still need the horses.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is that next years incoming class for Duke consists of the #1 ranked center and #1 ranked point guard. For the folks that say Duke sucks I say wait a season and find out for yourself. I don't care how good a coach you are you need players. Crean had Wade, and Buzz Williams has had quite a few NBA guys too. Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, Wesley Matthews just to name a few. No matter how good a coach you are you still need the horses.

I think one person said that. If you read my posts, you know in no way was I saying that

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting more and more pumped on this hire. Wojo seems like a great guy who is very loyal and seems like he really wants to be here. I'm hearing he has a relationship with a few of the incoming recruits so maybe they will stay. Bilas likes the hire. Dwade loves it and will probably be around more often now do to his ties with Wojo.

Buzz really lost the team last year. He sat a lot of talented youngsters do to defense(when seniors lacked it too) and eventually lost his team. JuJuan Johnson and Steve Taylor were almost certainly gone after this season and Mayo was very likely too. Now with Wojo it's sounding really good they all stay. JJJ should thrive under Wojo's style.

2 most telling things about Buzz losing his way were the quotes by Mayo and Taylor about it being a change the team needed and not a surprise he bailed and didn't tell anyone. Then the fact that the only senior that even thanked Buzz on senior day was Chris Otule(played 6 years under Buzz lol). The other 3 didn't name drop him at all.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one person said that. If you read my posts, you know in no way was I saying that

I wasn't referring to you, no problem. Even though I have been a lifelong Marquette fan I enjoy watching Duke and completely respect Coach K. I watch a lot of Duke games and they simply didn't have the athletes this year. They honestly were over rated most of the season. I have complete confidence that the next season for them will be much better especially if Parker stays. Mike Krzyzewski will get it fixed, he may be a great coach but they simply didn't have the horses this year.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting more and more pumped on this hire. Wojo seems like a great guy who is very loyal and seems like he really wants to be here. I'm hearing he has a relationship with a few of the incoming recruits so maybe they will stay. Bilas likes the hire. Dwade loves it and will probably be around more often now do to his ties with Wojo.

Let me know if you hear any updates on Cohen or Hill or any of the other potential recuits. Thanks.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me know if you hear any updates on Cohen or Hill or any of the other potential recuits. Thanks.

Will do. There are a lot of confident people who seem to believe both are most likely to stay. I'll believe that when I see it. But let's hope!!