• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With reallignment come new rivalries

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought I would ever say this to a Devils fan but I totally agree with you I think the extremely close proximity to each other just adds to the hatred. Because its so easy to buy tickets and drive to their arena and be an invader. Now if the Islanders stay halfway decent and when they start playing in Brooklyn I can see Devils/Rangers/Islanders heating up even more. That and Devils are still kinda angry about 94 Ranger fans are still angry about the following years when we thought we had a dynasty going. I think you get a little more hatred then you would Pens/Philly

On a side note how do the Rangers play 3 games at Yankee Stadium and none are considered home games. (I dont mind just seems weird.)

I say it because even though I'm a Mets fan and my fiance is a Yankees fan, the only thing that gets us close to breaking up is our choice in hockey teams. And its not just when we play each other. I dont like when her team beats anyone and she hates when my team beats anyone. We both want each other to finish dead last in the entire NHL. The NHL can down play the Devils and ignore their success, and punish us for doing the same thing the other teams did all they want, but the fact remains the Devils are rivals to some teams and those rivalries are pretty strong mostly because of the location of the teams. We're not mad about 94 anymore, not after the ECF 2 seasons ago :)

As for the Yankee Stadium games, I asked the same question and someone answered that its in the contract that all Ranger home games are at MSG.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I've only ever had a Pittsburgh fan take a swing at me at the arena - the true measure of a real rivalry.

You should have chosen a different jersey to wear that evening...

just%20a%20no%20no.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should have chosen a different jersey to wear that evening...

just%20a%20no%20no.jpg

Please, you can tell that's not me just be the hair alone. ;)

I think it was more that guy than me. He got in another fight less than a minute after I let him go.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rivalries are not what they used to be. its now whomever pissed you off the most most recently. then its whomever is next.

Canucks and Hawks are a pretty good rivalry.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck you! The Canucks are our rivals now, pal! And that Shield in your 2nd team slot can get it too!

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised the Sharks and Jets don't have a bigger rivalry than they currently do.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Fuck you! The Canucks are our rivals now, pal! And that Shield in your 2nd team slot can get it too!

people (on this side) are going to give WAY too much weight to our games this year
Oct 8: Nucks 3rd game in 4 nights, with travel between each game. At least the Devils play the night before as well
Oct 24: Nucks 6th game of an 8 game road trip, also 3rd game in 4 nights. Devs only 2 game sin previous 5 nights.

Luongo is going to unfairly eat these results, especially if Schneider plays

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people (on this side) are going to give WAY too much weight to our games this year
Oct 8: Nucks 3rd game in 4 nights, with travel between each game. At least the Devils play the night before as well
Oct 24: Nucks 6th game of an 8 game road trip, also 3rd game in 4 nights. Devs only 2 game sin previous 5 nights.

Only if he leaves the poker tables

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he needs his tires pumped, maybe he can stop by a Texaco on the road...

Last edited by a moderator:

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am adverse to change.

No, they are too busy being Yankee fans until the suspension kicks in, trying to convince us their pizza is better and crying about earthquakes that happened 300 miles away.

Nuck Few York

I never realized transplanted Marylander Ohioans were so full of unprovoked hatred for the worlds greatest city.

And their pizza is better.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never realized transplanted Marylander Ohioans were so full of unprovoked hatred for the worlds greatest city.

And their pizza is better.

I don't consider New York to be the world's greatest city, depending on your meaning of great. Great as in large, important, sure. Greatest as in best, not so much.

That said, their pizza is undeniably better than most, unless you are from Chicago, in which case your definition of pizza is WRONG, or Italy, which isn't really a fair comparison.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also wonder what everyone's opinion on the biggest current rivalry in hockey is; caveat, your choice CANNOT include your team or any of the teams in their pre-realignment division. So as a Flyer fan, I can't pick Philly, Pitt, Jersey, or the New York teams (otherwise I'd go Philly-Pitt for certain, because I am a BLATANT HOMER).

I'd say probably either Boston-Montreal or Detroit-Chicago.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also wonder what everyone's opinion on the biggest current rivalry in hockey is; caveat, your choice CANNOT include your team or any of the teams in their pre-realignment division. So as a Flyer fan, I can't pick Philly, Pitt, Jersey, or the New York teams (otherwise I'd go Philly-Pitt for certain, because I am a BLATANT HOMER).

After I showed my fiancé my response on why our rivalry is bigger we discussed this ourselves. We agreed that excluding any Canadian teams its probably is Hawks/Wings... Until the NHL fucked that up this year

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not underestimating anything. Pens/Flyers may be an instate rivalry, but its a 4 hour drive from between the Console Energy Center and the Wells Fargo Center. By comparison, its 23 minute drive from the Prudential Center to the Garden. Fuck, its a 90 minute drive from the Prudential Center to the Wells Fargo Center! To take it a step further, most people on both sides of the rivalry just catch a train to either arena for a Devils/Rangers because its so close. And the coup de grace of this debate is this, the Devils and Rangers have NEVER made a trade with each other. The only two teams in the (old) Atlantic division to do that.

I get it, you're a Penguins fan so you typically think your team is the most important team in just about anything and all things, but this time you're not.

But if proximity is such an important factor in determining the intensity of a rivalry, then shouldn't the Devils/Flyers rivalry be considered bigger than the Flyers/Penguins rivalry? I don't think anyone considers the Turnpike Rivalry to be bigger than the Battle of Pennsylvania. I don't think a single Flyer fan will claim that their team's rivalry with the Devils is bigger than their rivalry with the Penguins.

As far as me thinking that my team is always the most important, our rivalry with the Flyers is broadcasted on national television every single time. I don't decide that, clearly some other people believe the Flyers & Pens is a top tier rivalry as well. We have countless moments to look back on to talk about the rivalry. With the Devils & Rangers it always goes back to 1994.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I personally think it's the Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs, the 2 oldest teams, the teams with the most Stanley Cups, and the teams with the most passionate fans.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if proximity is such an important factor in determining the intensity of a rivalry, then shouldn't the Devils/Flyers rivalry be considered bigger than the Flyers/Penguins rivalry? I don't think anyone considers the Turnpike Rivalry to be bigger than the Battle of Pennsylvania. I don't think a single Flyer fan will claim that their team's rivalry with the Devils is bigger than their rivalry with the Penguins.

As far as me thinking that my team is always the most important, our rivalry with the Flyers is broadcasted on national television every single time. I don't decide that, clearly some other people believe the Flyers & Pens is a top tier rivalry as well. We have countless moments to look back on to talk about the rivalry. With the Devils & Rangers it always goes back to 1994.

Or it could have a little something to do with the fact that the owner of the Flyers also owns the two networks that show national television games in the US.