• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With reallignment come new rivalries

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know - we've met a lot in the playoffs (especially in recent years) and that has intensified the tension in recent years, but I don't really think of the Rangers as a rival.

I think if you asked Caps' fans it would be Pens #1, Flyers #2, Rags a distant #3, and then all others that don't matter much. Because those are the teams that are close by and that invaded the old Capital Centre year after year. I doubt there is any team in the NHL that has endured the number of fans constantly in it's arena like the Capitals do b/c DC is such a transient city and it's so close to several major cities - Isles, Rags, Devils, Flyers, and Pens all 2-5 hours away by car/bus.

The Pens are at the top b/c of years of playoff disappointments and 3-1 leads blown. The Flyers because their fans are often so detestable. This is also because a true Washingtonian looks down a little bit on Philly and Pittsburgh. There just isn't the same vitriol for New York by and large and we are sister cities in a way - one the center of business, another the center of power.

In sum...

worststateever-tshirt-callout-607x485.jpg

I will also add the Caps probably don't have real depth of rivals because we've been largely unsuccessful as a franchise. Never have won anything of consequence, still hold the record for worst NHL season, and have choked off big leads more than any team in NHL history. It's hard to find a way to hate on a team without success. It's like trying to play fetch with a dog that just lays there. :(

I agree, if I had to pick our top rivals within the division as of now,
1. Flyers
2. Capitals
3. Islanders

I could see the Pens & Blue Jackets becoming our next big rival as well, but games against the Flyers, Capitals, & Islanders hurt a little more when we lose & feel a little better when we win. To me, that's the true essence of a hockey rivalry. Regardless the records, Pens vs Flyers, Pens vs Capitals, & Pens vs Islanders tend to be close & competitive.

Was really impressed by the Caps last season. Oates did a great job in his 1st season, Ovechkin grew leaps & bounds as a true leader, lots of youn guys contributing to the blue line, & Holtby continues to impress. Sucks they lost Ribeiro, but Grabovski sort of cancels that out. As of now, I consider the Caps to be the biggest threat to the Pens within the Metro.

I don't think we will run away with the division like we did last season. Capitals, Rangers, Flyers, Islanders, & Blue Jackets all look pretty good to me. Even the Devils look pretty deep in spite of losing Kovalchuk. I'm 50/50 on the Hurricanes, they could be good if Cam Ward is healthy, but their defense has a lot to prove. Should be an interesting season for the Metro Div. Can't wait till the season starts.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In sum...

worststateever-tshirt-callout-607x485.jpg
I just want to point out and make clear the reason for that title...

(hint, the shirt is orange) ;)

Stop dragging the rest of the state down. :D

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's be fair; it's neither Philly nor Pittsburgh dragging down PA. It's the 300 miles of Alabama in between.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's be fair; it's neither Philly nor Pittsburgh dragging down PA. It's the 300 miles of Alabama in between.

Those both made me LOL.

Damn you lovable PA fans on this board. I'm so.... I'm so..... ahhh, I can't even fake the hate! ;)

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Boston, Miami, Toronto, Detroit and Montreal are far more "Metropolitan" than Columbus, Pittsburgh and Raleigh.

They would have had to have worked for months to get the division alignment any worse. But when they added those ridiculous names...

I woulda done:
Det
Tor
Pit
CBJ
Buf
Mon
Ott

FLA
TBL
WSH
CAR
NJD
NYI
NYR
BOS

Lakes vs oceans.

THIS I would have been fine with me, depsite the retarded 16/14 split. Why the fuck do I still spend money on this league?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it matters if people in LA cared about the Kings or not, The Miracle on Manchester is one of the greatest playoff moments of all time, the Gretzky trade shook the landscape of the NHL, & Yakupov's goal/celebration was one of the zaniest things from last season. It has all the works of a rivalry IMO.

Not gonna try and undermine The Battles of Alberta, but those battles lost their flair during the early 1990s.

The Battle of Alberta will NEVER die. That is the sign of a true rivalry.

There is pure hatred there. If you don't understand this rivalry then you have no credibility in the discourse on modern NHL rivalries.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument here, except I thought it was Pennsyltucky in the middle. :noidea:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Battle of Alberta will NEVER die. That is the sign of a true rivalry.

There is pure hatred there. If you don't understand this rivalry then you have no credibility in the discourse on modern NHL rivalries.

Believe me, I'm well aware of the Battles of Alberta. Rarely do I ever stay up to watch the Flames and Oilers on weekdays unless they're playing each other. And I'm an insomniac

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is how Ohio feels about Cleveland.

Caps/Rangers is a HUGE Rivalry. And it's regional. The whole DC/Baltimore metro area hates everything to do with NYC. It's across sports and goes back as far as I can remember.

Jets/Colts
Ravens/Giants, Jets (although 90% of the Raven hate is aimed at the Steelers there is still a rivalry there)
Orioles/Yankees
Bullets/Knicks
United/Red Bulls
Caps/Rags

The only DC team that screws it up is the Racial slurs, and their Cowboy hatred.

Beyond the Rangers, the most hatred reserved for any team in Caps land is Pittsburgh. Because all those years of solid, hard working teams in DC were constantly overshadowed by the media dry humping the lazy names in Pitt.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beyond the Rangers, the most hatred reserved for any team in Caps land is Pittsburgh. Because all those years of solid, hard working teams in DC were constantly overshadowed by the media dry humping the lazy names in Pitt.

You know, I do believe our lazy names that are dry humped by the media are 7-1 all time in the playoffs against those hard working DC teams.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disrespect to the Caps & their fans, I consider them to be our 2nd biggest rival next to the Flyers, and I was very impressed by how the Caps turned their season around last season. At the same time, I don't think the Cap fans could complain about media hype for the Pens. I'll admit announcers like Pierre McGuire embarrassingly drool over Sid, but it's not like they drool over OV as well. Keep in mind that the media did give OV the Hart Trophy over Sid this past season even tho the players gave Sid the Ted Lindsay Award.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I do believe our lazy names that are dry humped by the media are 7-1 all time in the playoffs against those hard working DC teams.

The league and refs made sure of that. :)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how 43 called the Washington basketball team 'Bullets'. Wes Unseld, Kevin Grevey, that was a very good team.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how 43 called the Washington basketball team 'Bullets'. Wes Unseld, Kevin Grevey, that was a very good team.

Yeah, Bullets was a better name.