• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wish we could have fired Wedge before he left

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously fuck this guy. I've tried to remain open minded about him since he came here but he has always been a shitty manager.

The dude has had a stick up his ass since he got here, from insulting the fans to bitching about not getting a new contract LOL can you seriously believe the balls on this guy? He is a garbage manager and acts like he should be treated like a king, and now he's informing the team he's leaving? What a joke I wish we would have fired him a long time ago and it pisses me off that he got a chance to leave before we could have kicked him out on his ass.

Good riddance. The moron probably thinks another team will give him a new managing job, he should do us all a favor and just quit before the season is over. I don't think I've had so much disdain for a Mariners coach or player since A-Rod, this guy makes my blood boil.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wedge did as well with this refuse as any manager could

changing managers next year will be like changing the color of a bandaid being used to cover a massive shotgun wound.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wedge did as well with this refuse as any manager could

changing managers next year will be like changing the color of a bandaid being used to cover a massive shotgun wound.

Regardless of roster talent Wedge did nothing to make anyone on the roster any better. His incessant whining and wannabe tough guy act started to become infuriating. Hope he gets a nice chorus of boos (Although I'm sure Wazzu's pseudo sense of morality would likely disagree and tell me that's classless, because everyone deserves a trophy right?)

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of roster talent Wedge did nothing to make anyone on the roster any better. His incessant whining and wannabe tough guy act started to become infuriating. Hope he gets a nice chorus of boos (Although I'm sure Wazzu's pseudo sense of morality would likely disagree and tell me that's classless, because everyone deserves a trophy right?)

i agree with this to an extent. i think he's been okay with the press, actually, but it felt like the team had a different energy while he was gone recovering from the stroke.

could be nothing, but i think his energy doesn't vibe with the young kids all that well.

i'd love to see robby thompson or mike blowers take over next year. totally serious about blowers. i think he's destined to manage somewhere.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not gonna say I love Wedge or that he is even a great manager but he did have success in Cleveland but not here.
Bob Melvin had success in Arizona, stunk here and now is having success in Oakland. Hargrove had success in Cleveland but not here. Not gonna beat a dead horse but sense a theme?

I questioned a lot of Wedge's in game decision making but he has been given marginal talent as well.
I mean the outfield he had was horrible this year. He had to trot Bay and Ibanez out there everyday for a while and it wasnt his decision to stick with Guti another year in center when everyone knew he would get hurt. You also began the year with a catcher who was possibly the worst defensive catcher of all time. The rotation 3-5 was horrible all year and contained washed up guys like Saunders, Bonderman and Harang most of year.

Again I dont love Wedge or think he's a great manager but you cant make chicken salad out of chicken s*** and he's had mostly chicken s*** to work with these last 3 years.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not gonna say I love Wedge or that he is even a great manager but he did have success in Cleveland but not here.
Bob Melvin had success in Arizona, stunk here and now is having success in Oakland. Hargrove had success in Cleveland but not here. Not gonna beat a dead horse but sense a theme?

1) Bob Melvin was the last manager we had who won 90 games, and though the team missed the playoffs it wasn't a bad season. In his second season the team did get old overnight, but the organization did attempt to get new talent even if he wasn't around to see it.

He wasn't much better in Arizona than in Seattle, and in fact, until last year his best season was in Seattle. Now, in Oakland, Billy Beane is one of the best GM's in the business at putting a team together without spending money, Their payroll is 27th in MLB, $13 million less than the M's. Oakland is just a more enticing location than Seattle.

2) Mike Hargrove was 5 years removed from his last winning record when the Mariners signed him. He was winning when he walked away and was the manager of the team the last time they put a massive payroll onto the field.

3) I've been hugely disappointed in Wedge. It isn't that I blame him for having a losing team, it's that he seems resigned to having a losing team and has no interest at actually making the players on this team into winners. I'm actually glad that Z is the one of the two who is staying, because it does appear like he's actually trying. I can accept failure to an extent as long as there appears to be effort.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His record in Cleveland was mediocre, one of the reasons why I was not a fan of hiring him. With the Indians he only had a record above .500 twice in 7 seasons. He finished 3rd place or worse in 5 of his 7 seasons. His overall record was 561-573 with the Indians.

Occasionally I wonder how much of an impact that managers have on major league teams. The highest level I played baseball at was high school so I'm no expert on the topic but I just don't see that they can have the impact that coaches have in other sports.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game decisions are one thing and do matter but I think where the manager has the biggest impact is if the players respect the guy they generally will play hard for a guy. Players love playing for Leyland even though he is not a "rah rah" guy. Bobby Cox was another quiet yet stern guy who players played hard for. We need a coach who will harp on fundamentals but in the end will be a guy who the players want to play for and not a guy who just gives sort of like this " Well we lost tonight because the fundamentals weren't there. We talk to the players all the time about this but we just don't seem to be able to do the little things". Coaches of young teams who are highly supportive and sort of kind of become a shield for the young guys tend to get the respect of those players and have them play hard for him.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You seriously don't have the IQ to realize the difference between wanting someone fired between being happy someone is dead? I don't think Wedge should've kept his job but I don't blame him for either wanting an actual contract or he's gone. 1 year contracts could work for a team with veterans or a team that has a chance at contending, not team with a clueless GM, front office and most importantly younger players who need to buy into a system and have full trust. From reports he hadn't lost the clubhouse but with a bunch of younger guys who had so much hype and agents it's in their ears it is a matter of time before he lost the young players.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with this to an extent. i think he's been okay with the press, actually, but it felt like the team had a different energy while he was gone recovering from the stroke.

could be nothing, but i think his energy doesn't vibe with the young kids all that well.

i'd love to see robby thompson or mike blowers take over next year. totally serious about blowers. i think he's destined to manage somewhere.

Think Dan Wilson and Joey Cora are ex Mariners who are in line for a managing job well before Blowers. You can't just snag some guy out of the booth otherwise Bone would my choice since he could light a fire and tell upper managment to go F themselves with decisions.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Dan Wilson and Joey Cora are ex Mariners who are in line for a managing job well before Blowers. You can't just snag some guy out of the booth otherwise Bone would my choice since he could light a fire and tell upper managment to go F themselves with decisions.

Buhner has done nothing to demonstrate he would be a good manager, or that he even has any interest in it.

Blowers knows his stuff. It's all about whether or not he wants to go that way. Next year as a skipper would be too much, sure, but I hope he gets in the coaching end soon. He'll do any club he's with good.

Wilson or Cora would be excellent. I'd be onboard with either. I think Cora will be able to get a better job somewhere soon, though. The Mariners are a joke, and treat their managers like shit. Best of luck to whoever takes over the job. I think it will be a one and done year for whoever it is.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Ron Gardenhire if the Twins can him. I was already thinking about it but just saw something about it on mlbtraderumors too haha. Then they said Joey Cora....yeah I could see our FO doing that for sure. They love living in the past.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buhner has done nothing to demonstrate he would be a good manager, or that he even has any interest in it.

Blowers knows his stuff. It's all about whether or not he wants to go that way. Next year as a skipper would be too much, sure, but I hope he gets in the coaching end soon. He'll do any club he's with good.

Wilson or Cora would be excellent. I'd be onboard with either. I think Cora will be able to get a better job somewhere soon, though. The Mariners are a joke, and treat their managers like shit. Best of luck to whoever takes over the job. I think it will be a one and done year for whoever it is.

I know, I was just saying I would prefer him over Blowers. It won't happen but the M's need a coach with the balls to stand up to whoever is in charge next season.

Blowers definetly knows his shit but from being around the guy much like I would see Dan Wilson is they would be suited as minor league coaches because they are great at teaching fundamentals which is something that big league managers seem to not do anymore.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seriously don't have the IQ to realize the difference between wanting someone fired between being happy someone is dead? I don't think Wedge should've kept his job but I don't blame him for either wanting an actual contract or he's gone. 1 year contracts could work for a team with veterans or a team that has a chance at contending, not team with a clueless GM, front office and most importantly younger players who need to buy into a system and have full trust. From reports he hadn't lost the clubhouse but with a bunch of younger guys who had so much hype and agents it's in their ears it is a matter of time before he lost the young players.

So you're telling me he is better off walking away than taking a 1 year contract?

He will not get another management job, another year managing a shit team with a managers salary sure sounds better to me than whatever else he will be doing. At least with a 1 year contract he actually has the chance to earn a longer contract or at least a new job. He was mediocre with a lot more talent in Cleveland and was garbage with mediocre talent in Seattle.

Boy you are sure pretty angry about my slight on your buddy Hiroshima I see? What did he pay for your useless WSU degree? Probably wasted his money considering odds are you didn't even graduate and are likely working some $30k a year job raging at people superior to yourself on the internet.