• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Windows???

Are the Commanders now IN their window of opportunity to win long-term?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • 2. No

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 3. Unsure

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most fans view the "window" as the point in time when they are contenders to win a champiionship. I don't think anyone sees Washington today as being in that position.

I believe a realistic goal for this season is to win a weak division and make the playoffs. Then with one more offseason to fill glaring holes and with another solid draft as this draft class develops into productive starters I believe the window is open next season.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hit the free agency hard while your QB is still on his rookie contract.
I’m sure AP will as well as spot talent in the draft With his team. he’s been incredible adept since he was brought on to handle our talent. So nice to finally have a grown up in charge.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I look for them to go big next offseason and target impact players as the did with Luvu. Unlike last year they don't have nearly as many holes.

As I watched the Bills last night I again wonder what this team would look like with an impact safety. The safties on this team, with the obvious exception being a few years of Sean Taylor, have been below average and it's been that way here for a very long time.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most fans view the "window" as the point in time when they are contenders to win a champiionship. I don't think anyone sees Washington today as being in that position.

I believe a realistic goal for this season is to win a weak division and make the playoffs. Then with one more offseason to fill glaring holes and with another solid draft as this draft class develops into productive starters I believe the window is open next season.
I know that for some this is a strange concept because... well... Washington football over thelast 20 or so years, but "Window" refers to where you are at a given time. Nothing more nothing less.
When you are a consistent loser that has finally decided to do what's necessary to move away from being that, you do so incrementally, going from, (in stages)

1. A consistent winner meaning winning more games than you lose.

After that you become...

2. A consistent playoff participant.

Finally,you are...

3. Consistent SB contender/favorite/ participant.

Why these "stages" well if you can name one team that went from among the worse in the game for long periods of time, to SB winner in one year, we'll, good luck in researching it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that for some this is a strange concept because... well... Washington football over thelast 20 or so years, but "Window" refers to where you are at a given time. Nothing more nothing less.
When you are a consistent loser that has finally decided to do what's necessary to move away from being that, you do so incrementally, going from, (in stages)

After that you become...

Finally,you are...

Why these "stages" well if you can name one team that went from among the worse in the game for long periods of time, to SB winner in one year, we'll, good luck in researching it.
You forgot the assessment year

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After that you become...

Finally,you are...

Well, if we are following your stages, Sty, then the football team isnt even a consistent winner yet.

It might take a few seasons for the commanders to be consistent winners.

I like this six game stretch so far though. In this stretch they found a way to win a game without scoring a bunch (giants), beat a team led by a legit franchise qb in their stadium (bengals), beat a team with a sinilar qb as ours in their stadium (cards), and pummeled an inferior opponent with what was a good defense also in their yard (browns).

These are all “demons” that need to be “excised” in order to progress to consistent winner.

Next up: beat up a team you are clearly better than, that you are supposed to beat (panthers).

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot the assessment year
There's no such thing as an assessment year.You made that up!
I know that it has been a long time since Bobby Beathard worked here or perhaps many have forgotten my insistence upon getting a "dedicated GM" way back when Cerato and Allen were screwing up things, but included in the job of General Manager is film work, player assessment, etc. A certain sign that you have a good one is displayed when they come in, do the work and know,before a snap is taken where upgrades are needed.

AP didn't come here and declare it an "assessment year" he made moves instantly to replace obvious weaknesses and as a really good GM will often do, rely upon his coaching staff to let him know who's cutting it and who isn't. It doesn't take a year to do any of these things as most know during OTAs and training camp what they have and what they don't.

All stated, I'm fair minded, so please tell me what you mean by an "assessment year?" (Btw; please do not include something meaningless like how well they play together because that happens every year on every team)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if we are following your stages, Sty, then the football team isnt even a consistent winner yet.

It might take a few seasons for the commanders to be consistent winners.

I like this six game stretch so far though. In this stretch they found a way to win a game without scoring a bunch (giants), beat a team led by a legit franchise qb in their stadium (bengals), beat a team with a sinilar qb as ours in their stadium (cards), and pummeled an inferior opponent with what was a good defense also in their yard (browns).

These are all “demons” that need to be “excised” in order to progress to consistent winner.

Next up: beat up a team you are clearly better than, that you are supposed to beat (panthers).
You're right and that's why I asked the question. (Are they now in...)

Generally how it usually happens...
Changes are made and the team begins winning, the following year more of the same, perhaps even a playoff berth like wildcard. The following year there a legit playoff push, perhaps winning a game before getting bounced. Another year and now the goal isn't just making the playoffs, it's going deep into them. Finally,we'll you know!

Last edited:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, perhaps it's me but what do you mean by "assessment" in relation to the entire year?
I explained in the other thread. I really don't care about defining this window thing

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, perhaps it's me but what do you mean by "assessment" in relation to the entire year?

With the incredible turnover, the year started off as an assessment year. We needed to find out who could play long term here and where we needed improvements, wins/losses be damned.

Well, the only assessment we really need is JD is that good. He makes this team better in all facets. We can get by with our current WRs, our current OL, and our current defense. That being said, we still need to assess position groups but wins now matter.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the incredible turnover, the year started off as an assessment year. We needed to find out who could play long term here and where we needed improvements, wins/losses be damned.

Well, the only assessment we really need is JD is that good. He makes this team better in all facets. We can get by with our current WRs, our current OL, and our current defense. That being said, we still need to assess position groups but wins now matter.
Ok, then why have all of the turnovers? Weren't those moves made after assessment prior to the season?
If there's a GM who doesn't already have reams of information on every player in the NFL, draftees, potential draftees and scouting reports on current college players, and free agents, why hire him/her? That person is stealing money (Bruce Allen/ Vinny Cerato)

If the ONLY assessment of concern is JD, I told you all long before, and many times after he won the Heisman how good he was and how good he's going to be. Now, if I can do that and it's not my professional calling, I'm damned sure the pros can too!

So, benefit of doubt, let's say that they weren't convinced before or, after the draft, after OTAs, nor after training camp. How many games does it take with this guy do you think they needed to be convinced, 17?

Btw; Barring injury, he's going to be much better next year!

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, then why have all of the turnovers? Weren't those moves made after assessment prior to the season?
If there's a GM who doesn't already have reams of information on every player in the NFL, draftees, potential draftees and scouting reports on current college players, and free agents, why hire him/her? That person is stealing money (Bruce Allen/ Vinny Cerato)

If the ONLY assessment of concern is JD, I told you all long before, and many times after he won the Heisman how good he was and how good he's going to be. Now, if I can do that and it's not my professional calling, I'm damned sure the pros can too!

So, benefit of doubt, let's say that they weren't convinced before or, after the draft, after OTAs, nor after training camp. How many games does it take with this guy do you think they needed to be convinced, 17?

Btw; Barring injury, he's going to be much better next year!

Because they knew what they got rid of was total shit, They needed to find out if Ferrell, Armstrong, and Allegretti were actual starters because they were not on their previous teams. We also had a ton of draft capital to contribute to the turnover.