• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wims in the early lead for the 6th WR spot

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Marshall was one of the best in the game for a while and he was a 4th round pick. There's been UDFAs that tear it up. No reason Wims can't be a good starter simply because he was a 7th round pick.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he were to...it would be a serious downgrade.

Sorry, but what a foolish statement. You've never seen him play outside of one game in Week 17 (where he played well). lol. You have no idea whether he would be a downgrade or not.

I'm sure you would have said Charles Leno (7th round pick) would be a serious downgrade to Jerome Bushrod 5 years ago after Leno was drafted as well.

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears fans always fall in love with these bottom of the depth chart receivers.

Wims is just a bigger version of Tanner Gentry. Or another Andy Fantuz.

I think that fans, in general, are always going to be prone to liking guys who they see light it up in pre-season. Brandon Rideau was another good one.

However, that means approximately nothing. The fact that Gentry didn't pan-out means nothing towards Wims. Plenty of late round draft picks have. You're smart enough to know this.

Our starting TE was undrafted. Our pro bowl left tackle was drafted in the 7th round.

Not to mention, the fact that Wims was drafted after having a very good career at an SEC school. Nothing remotely like Gentry.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but what a foolish statement. You've never seen him play outside of one game in Week 17 (where he played well). lol. You have no idea whether he would be a downgrade or not.

I'm sure you would have said Charles Leno (7th round pick) would be a serious downgrade to Jerome Bushrod 5 years ago after Leno was drafted as well.

The Bears finally have a legit wide receiver group for the first time probably ever. They don’t just have a 1 and 2...they have a 3 and probably a decent 4 and 5.

But in typical Bears fan fashion....fans want to obsess over the guy that is maybe #6.

I don’t get it.

There are always going to be late round picks like Leno that succeed. But there are far more that don’t so pointing to one here or there as a reason why x player should make it is silly.

I’m not saying Wims is garbage. But the calls for him to be a #1 someday are silly. We have legit receivers at the top of the depth chart.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that fans, in general, are always going to be prone to liking guys who they see light it up in pre-season. Brandon Rideau was another good one.

However, that means approximately nothing. The fact that Gentry didn't pan-out means nothing towards Wims. Plenty of late round draft picks have. You're smart enough to know this.

Our starting TE was undrafted. Our pro bowl left tackle was drafted in the 7th round.

Not to mention, the fact that Wims was drafted after having a very good career at an SEC school. Nothing remotely like Gentry.

If Wims starts a game at any point in the next 3 seasons...it will be because all other options got injured...or the Bears are resting starters in a meaningless game at the end of the season.

That’s my opinion.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wims starts a game at any point in the next 3 seasons...it will be because all other options got injured...or the Bears are resting starters in a meaningless game at the end of the season.

That’s my opinion.
Well find out, but I see him starting one day in the next 2 years. And not for negative reasons either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears finally have a legit wide receiver group for the first time probably ever. They don’t just have a 1 and 2...they have a 3 and probably a decent 4 and 5. I’m not saying Wims is garbage. But the calls for him to be a #1 someday are silly. We have legit receivers at the top of the depth chart.
We got Robinson and big hope for Miller, what else?

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well find out, but I see him starting one day in the next 2 years. And not for negative reasons either.

If he supplants Robinson, Gabriel, or Miller it would have to be because of them left the team, got hurt, seriously regressed, or something else. None of that would be a positive.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Gabriel...remember him? Patterson, Hall, and Ridley. This is a legit group.
Gabreil is ok I guess but NFL average at best. Patterson is very talented but not a good WR by any standard. Hall?? who. Ridley??? A rookie who might be ok one day. Wims will outplay them guys and become a starter by next year. IMO.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wims backs up Robinson, and will see some rotational time this year.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabreil is ok I guess but NFL average at best. Patterson is very talented but not a good WR by any standard. Hall?? who. Ridley??? A rookie who might be ok one day. Wims will outplay them guys and become a starter by next year. IMO.

Ridley is a rookie who might be okay one day but Wims is definitely gonna be a starter? Funny logic.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridley is a rookie who might be okay one day but Wims is definitely gonna be a starter? Funny logic.
Ive seen the two play quite a few times and prefer Wims. You have Ridley listed as part of some so called top wr group where is the logic in that. Our WR's as a group have talent but a lot to prove. Our only legit starter at this point is Robinson, Miller looks legit but has to prove it on the field yet. The rest will have to earn playing time. Wimms brings a different skill set that sets him apart from the others, a big bodied possession type. Let the best man win. You seem to have a negative outlook on Wims. I like him a lot. We'll let it play out.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive seen the two play quite a few times and prefer Wims. You have Ridley listed as part of some so called top wr group where is the logic in that. Our WR's as a group have talent but a lot to prove. Our only legit starter at this point is Robinson, Miller looks legit but has to prove it on the field yet. The rest will have to earn playing time. Wimms brings a different skill set that sets him apart from the others, a big bodied possession type. Let the best man win. You seem to have a negative outlook on Wims. I like him a lot. We'll let it play out.

I hope you’re right about Wims. I just don’t see it. I think he is physically limited and not an every down receiver. I think he could be a good red zone target but I don’t think he can get separation consistently enough against NFL corners to do much else.

Ridley’s physical ability is far greater. And Emmanuel Hall is a developmental guy that we could see good things from over the next few seasons if they stick with him.

Miller is legit. He played well last season and did it with one arm most of the time. The guy has the ability and plays with a Hines Ward like aggression.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you’re right about Wims. I just don’t see it. I think he is physically limited and not an every down receiver. I think he could be a good red zone target but I don’t think he can get separation consistently enough against NFL corners to do much else.

Ridley’s physical ability is far greater. And Emmanuel Hall is a developmental guy that we could see good things from over the next few seasons if they stick with him.

Miller is legit. He played well last season and did it with one arm most of the time. The guy has the ability and plays with a Hines Ward like aggression.
I agree on Millers talent and have big hopes but I am concerned on his health. He has a rep for being hurt often. I think Wims skill set is more Fitz like. He won't separate much but will use positioning and big hands. His skill set brings something different to the group and I fully expect a true breakout season this year from him. Ridley may turn out to be very good but his skill set is already in the WR group and does not add any new dimensions to the WR group. Nagy loves having guys that bring different talents as it gives him more options. I know nothing about Hall at this time but will be watching.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting Wims name in a sentence with Fitzgerald is a joke. Don’t do that.

That goes far beyond being a homer.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting Wims name in a sentence with Fitzgerald is a joke. Don’t do that.

That goes far beyond being a homer.
Playing styles are similar. It's who he looks like on the field. Nothing homerish about comparing styles.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Mike Furrey certainly seems excited about Wims.

“The biggest thing for me right now is when our three or four guys go in the huddle, there are three or four guys going in the huddle to play,” Furrey said. “It’s not one or two. When those guys go in there, when Javon goes in there, we don’t want a drop-off. And I don’t think we’ve had that. … I’ve been really pleased with being able to say, ‘A-Rob take a break, Javon go in.’ That’s that trust factor, which Javon has earned and A-Mill is starting to earn and 13 [Marvin Hall] is earning. It’s been pretty neat in that regard.”

Pretty interesting to me that Wims has earned the kind of reliability in spelling Robinson (in Furrey's eyes) that Miller is only beginning to earn.

Bears Drop Not-So-Subtle Hint They Have Big Plans for Javon Wims

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emanuel Hall got waived. Obviously just can't get healthy.

Pretty interesting to me that Wims has earned the kind of reliability in spelling Robinson (in Furrey's eyes) that Miller is only beginning to earn.

Miller plays a different position pretty much though.