• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wimbledon Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
j9ohz8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if nole is at his best, he should win in 3 or 4.

the good news for roger is that nole has not been anywhere near his best for a few months now.

still, i expect nole to be able to play at as high or higher of a level than wawrinka did the first couple of sets against fed.

fed's best bet is to serve well like he has all tournament, and to try to end points as quickly as possible.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if nole is at his best, he should win in 3 or 4.

the good news for roger is that nole has not been anywhere near his best for a few months now.

still, i expect nole to be able to play at as high or higher of a level than wawrinka did the first couple of sets against fed.

fed's best bet is to serve well like he has all tournament, and to try to end points as quickly as possible.

I think Djokovic can play as well as Wawrinka did those first two sets, but I don't believe he can play higher.

I think FED always tries to end points quickly, but some of these guys with great defense, flip shots from the ground, and passing shots, make it harder for him. ;)

I remember in 2007, Djokovic used to use a lot of drop shots (with several misses), but he's stopped that the past few years.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Djokovic can play as well as Wawrinka did those first two sets, but I don't believe he can play higher.

nole has won wimbledon, taking out the defending champion in the process, and has made the final in 3 of the past 4 years.

wawrinka has only made it past the 4th round of wimbledon once in 10 attempts.

and you don't think that nole can play at a higher level than wawrinka did in the one QF match he's made at wimbledon in his life?

alrighty then.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think FED always tries to end points quickly...

no, he doesn't.

when he was younger, to protect others from attacking his backhand, he was much more aggressive with hitting approach shots on grass and moving in to end points early, but after being able to dominate from the back of the court for so long and win majors, he became less aggressive.

it worked great for him until the past couple of years when he got a little slower moving side to side, and other players like murray and nole became the new gold standard for baseline play.

if he tries to hang with nole from the baseline tomorrow for rallies longer the 4-5 shots, his backhand will break down by the 4th set. if edberg is doing his job properly and fed is listening, then you'll see him moving forward more tomorrow than you usually do.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, he doesn't.

when he was younger, to protect others from attacking his backhand, he was much more aggressive with hitting approach shots on grass and moving in to end points early, but after being able to dominate from the back of the court for so long and win majors, he became less aggressive.

it worked great for him until the past couple of years when he got a little slower moving side to side, and other players like murray and nole became the new gold standard for baseline play.

if he tries to hang with nole from the baseline tomorrow for rallies longer the 4-5 shots, his backhand will break down by the 4th set. if edberg is doing his job properly and fed is listening, then you'll see him moving forward more tomorrow than you usually do.

I think if he still still goes for the angles and corners, he still could be playing aggressive, without moving forward.

That's probably not the best plan against Djokovic, but it's still a sign of aggressive play IMO.

But, if he hits some balls back to Djokovic that he should have done more with, than agree, he didn't try to end the play as early as possible.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nole has won wimbledon, taking out the defending champion in the process, and has made the final in 3 of the past 4 years.

wawrinka has only made it past the 4th round of wimbledon once in 10 attempts.

and you don't think that nole can play at a higher level than wawrinka did in the one QF match he's made at wimbledon in his life?

alrighty then.

I meant just for today's match, that I don't think Djokovic will play much better than Wawrinka did in those first two sets against Federer. I thought Wawrinka's level in those first two sets was good. Yes, small sample size, just pointing out that level. Wawrinka also gave Murray a good match in 2009, taking Murray to 5 sets.

I'm not comparing the level of Djokovic on average to Wawrinka in one match, just Wawrinka's level in a portion of the match. Just trying to emphasize that particular quality of play, for those firs two sets. As I thought that was a high level for those first two sets.

Djokovic will be able to sustain that level for higher, sorry if there's confusion on that part. His level won't dip like Wawrinka's did in the last two sets.

As for who's the better player on grass, Djokovic or Wawrinka, agree, Djokovic.

I do like how Wawrinka's raised his game a little the past 1.5 years, and can beat the top players more regularly. I didn't mean to say he was better than Djokovic right now, or on grass. It's Wawrinka who can raise his game and play well at times as well as Djokovic, not the other way around.

Djokovic's ability to play at a high level for hours is still unsurpassed by most.

I meant just comparing the level of play I think Djokovic will play tomorrow, on grass specifically.

Not comparing the level Djokovic will play at for the rest of the year, as when we get to hard courts, Djokovic should play even better, and could be the best player on the tour for the rest of the year (a level Wawrinka cannot sustain).

I was just comparing to how I thought Djokovic will play tomorrow, on grass. And I didn't mean it as an insult, as I thought Wawrinka played well on grass for the first two sets. Just thought it was a high level of play.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, he doesn't.

So far you're right, FED has gotten into a few multi-shot slice rallies, the last 2 games (currently at the start of 5-5 in the 1st).

He might have won those points, but I expected him to be more aggressive. For example, one slice, then one power backhand to win the point. Not to hit slices back and forth to each other a few times.

I think even Wawrinka would have been more likely to do one backhand cross court slice, then one power backhand winner attempt. Wawrinka doesn't really use a slice, but I think you get what I mean. I don't think he would have gotten into those longer multiple slice rallies, he would have used it just to set up a power shot, which is what I thought FED would be doing.

FED should have a rule, no more than 1 slice in a row, unless he's on the run and has to use it as an escape shot. No more than 1 slice while standing from the same spot.

I keep thinking he'll go to 2003 form.

Djokovic looks more aggressive than FED in trying to end things early.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sad to see federer lose, but nole was just too good

such a great match

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah terrific match. Much better than that garbage that was on yesterday.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anybody like that 2 junior americans made the boys final?

kozlov is only 16, and i think he is going to be a great atp pro one day.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anybody like that 2 junior americans made the boys final?

kozlov is only 16, and i think he is going to be a great atp pro one day.

Yes. I was so proud.Now the demise of American tennis is greatly exaggerated. The future holds good prospects

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Kozlov is good. Saw him at Newport last year. Don't know the other kid. Maybe a future rivalry that can propel both of them to the top if they keep pushing each other.