• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Will Lance start all season for the Niners?

Will Lance start all season for the Niners?

• Yes

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • NorCal tater salad

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring injury I predict he'll start all season.

There will be highs and lows but I don't see the lows getting to the point he gets pulled. The bread and butter of the offense is the running game and Lance's presence provides a much bigger benefit so I think he'll get a longer leash than you might expect.

As far as Jimmy goes he basically has one elite throw and that's short to intermediate in the middle of the field. Can't throw deep, can't really throw outside the numbers, and he's not particularly careful with the ball either. It's just that Shanahan has made the most of that one elite throw because he has two guys with Deebo and Kittle that are monsters after the catch and are extremely effective in that area of the field. It's not that Jimmy is bad he's just limited and it shows up in the playoffs where he's not been a good playoff QB.

With Lance Shanahan will be able to add pressure on defenses because now the QB is a viable threat running the ball and Lance has a much bigger range with his arm so he's able to punish defenses that commit too heavily to stopping the run.

It's a team with a potential top 5 defense and top 5 rushing attack so they really aren't going to ask or really need Lance to throw the ball a lot anyways.

I'd envision Lance's year looking something like a Russell Wilson rookie year where the team relies on the rushing attack and defense with the QB making some big plays but mainly just being a game manager his first season.
It's amazing how people still suck the knob of running QBs even though Tom Brady has proven the real way to play QB for 20 years.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's amazing how people still suck the knob of running QBs even though Tom Brady has proven the real way to play QB for 20 years.
You have to pass from the pocket to win championships but most of the newer age QBs are pocket passers that are able to run as well. Even guys that you wouldn't think of as running QBs are surprisingly mobile like Burrow and Mahomes.

It's just the game has evolved where statue QBs are going to be a rare breed and nearly most QBs are at least going to be as athletic as Steve Young was.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49Ers Celebration GIF by San Francisco 49ers
Tired Wake Up GIF by US Open

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Lance struggles, and the 49ers go 0-3 or something like that then of course they'll switch to Jimmy G. However, if they go to Jimmy G, I don't think they can go back to Lance.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance is not a run first QB. Lance has good pocket presence, has a high football IQ, and will go through his progressions. That is why Shanahan drafted him. Shanahan would never draft a run first QB, no one like Lamar Jackson. His issue coming out of college is his accuracy and lack of experience. His age, overall lack of experience and small school status is what made the draft pick questionable. The overall success rate of first round QBs picks is something like 34% which is not very good so we will just have to see how it turns out. I will give him a couple of seasons before making final judgement,

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, john lynch fucked up big time and picked the wrong QB
I honesty dont remember for sure.
but wasnt this pick because the HC really wanted this guy? If true. I am not sure I would hang this one on the GM (if Lance fails miserably)

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might not start the second half of week 1. If (big if) the niners are down at the half to Chicago...

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honesty dont remember for sure.
but wasnt this pick because the HC really wanted this guy? If true. I am not sure I would hang this one on the GM (if Lance fails miserably)
According to Shanahan, the Niner FO knew who they were taking when they moved up to 3.

Their options at 3 were either Lance, Fields, or Jones. I have no idea if they picked the right one. We'll know more in a year or so.

As for the thread, barring injury, Lance starts all year.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Shanahan, the Niner FO knew who they were taking when they moved up to 3.

Their options at 3 were either Lance, Fields, or Jones. I have no idea if they picked the right one. We'll know more in a year or so.

As for the thread, barring injury, Lance starts all year.

Are you sure tho? Your team is built to win now and if they start 0-3 due to poor QB play, those veterans will march up to Lynch's office and give him some choice words. I do think if they are start off slow, they'll go to Jimmy G. How long that is will depend on Lance's play.