• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Justin Fields ever be the starting QB at UGA?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it is official now. Now it's just where he ends up.

Also, this likely takes us out of running for Haselwood, but if Fields goes to Oklahoma, he might bring Haselwood with him. Haselwood wants to play with Fields, and him not starting this year was a reason he decommitted from UGA.
giphy.gif

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, that would just be swell

It's gonna happen. Getting Mathis was a must for us just to have a scholarship backup QB for spring ball. I think Plumlee(the other QB committed to us) will end up being the better QB, but he's not gonna enroll until August.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gonna happen. Getting Mathis was a must for us just to have a scholarship backup QB for spring ball. I think Plumlee(the other QB committed to us) will end up being the better QB, but he's not gonna enroll until August.
Mathis is 6'6", so at least he has that going for him, but he's so raw. I'm not honestly that sure he ever plays any meaningful football. If he was 6'3", I would guess he's a 3* headed to Western Michigan or something.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d love to see what Lincoln Riley’s recruiting pitch to Fields would be. I imagine it’s just him sitting in his mahogany arm chair with a trophy case behind him. On one shoulder is Baker Mayfield’s Heisman Trophy and on the other sits Kyler Murray’s Heisman. Both were transfers, by the way. Riley stares deeply into Fields’ eyes and drops the line of the century.

“Want to make it a hat trick?”

In all seriousness, any quarterback is bonkers if they don’t consider going to a place like Oklahoma. As long as Riley is in Norman, that offense is built for quarterbacks to shine.

Has OSU fans given up on Martell? I thought he was the fan favorite?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d love to see what Lincoln Riley’s recruiting pitch to Fields would be. I imagine it’s just him sitting in his mahogany arm chair with a trophy case behind him. On one shoulder is Baker Mayfield’s Heisman Trophy and on the other sits Kyler Murray’s Heisman. Both were transfers, by the way. Riley stares deeply into Fields’ eyes and drops the line of the century.

In all seriousness, any quarterback is bonkers if they don’t consider going to a place like Oklahoma. As long as Riley is in Norman, that offense is built for quarterbacks to shine.

Sure fan favorite but he is undersized. He is better than people think at throwing and a great athlete but him basically being 5'9" is definitely an issue.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathis is 6'6", so at least he has that going for him, but he's so raw. I'm not honestly that sure he ever plays any meaningful football. If he was 6'3", I would guess he's a 3* headed to Western Michigan or something.

Without getting him, Fromm would be our only scholarship QB on the roster for spring ball, and things can always change, but as of now, it sounds like Fromm intends to play out his eligibility, so maybe learning the system for two years will benefit him. If he ever does become the starter, he's gonna have a massive o-line to protect him at least.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No I think Martell can be good but he doesn't have the tools Fields does.

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm just saying to all the Sooners and Buckeyes, be careful what you wish for. Fields has every bit of the talent that we were told he had and then some. Head and shoulders more physically talented than Fromm. His problems are between his ears. He is simply not good at reading defenses. He may think he's better than he is in the "knowledge of the game" category. That could be part of the problem.

I'm not trying to say he can't learn, I'm sure he can. He pretty damn intelligent. His problem right now is that he hasn't gotten past everybody telling him how good he is. He can't see what he doesn't know and won't until he chooses to. I truly believe he can be an incredible QB, but he needs his ego to be humbled down enough to realize that everything he knows is a drop in the bucket of all the things he needs to learn.

How he gets past his own glass ceiling remains to be seen. History has taught us that not everyone is successful at that.

All that said, I really like the kid and I do hope he has all the success his God given talent can bring him.

On a side note..........I think he should go to Colorado. Seriously. Shenault will be healthy next year and could make him famous.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to forgive his initial mistake if he comes over to the good guys.

Are you reading this Justin? I can forgive you.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying to all the Sooners and Buckeyes, be careful what you wish for. Fields has every bit of the talent that we were told he had and then some. Head and shoulders more physically talented than Fromm. His problems are between his ears. He is simply not good at reading defenses. He may think he's better than he is in the "knowledge of the game" category. That could be part of the problem.

I'm not trying to say he can't learn, I'm sure he can. He pretty damn intelligent. His problem right now is that he hasn't gotten past everybody telling him how good he is. He can't see what he doesn't know and won't until he chooses to. I truly believe he can be an incredible QB, but he needs his ego to be humbled down enough to realize that everything he knows is a drop in the bucket of all the things he needs to learn.

How he gets past his own glass ceiling remains to be seen. History has taught us that not everyone is successful at that.

All that said, I really like the kid and I do hope he has all the success his God given talent can bring him.

On a side note..........I think he should go to Colorado. Seriously. Shenault will be healthy next year and could make him famous.

In the buckeyes case I'm not as thrilled with Martell as others are. He looked suspect in the spring game against the only real elite talent he faced. Granted he's had eight months since to fix a lot of things. I think Fields has the much higher ceiling of the two especially considering height.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We had a similar issue with Martell when he got to OSU. Not surprising, he came from a powerhouse national program and was unbeaten in HS, but Day definitely knows how to tap into guys' talent and get them to buy in and improve. The work he did with Haskins was evident, but Martell actually owns the OSU record for most attempts in a game with a 100% completion percentage (granted it was Rutgers, but nobody else did that).

While I'd be thrilled to grab Fields, because he'd be a perfect fit in our offense (looks to be JT Barrett with an actual arm), I'd hate to see Martell spend two years in the program and put in all the work for it all to be for nothing. That said, he was a top 100 recruit with offers from several elite programs, so he wouldn't be short on interested programs if Fields were to come in and beat him out. Plus I believe he graduates this spring, so he might be able to grad transfer and play right away. That said, Fields would still have to beat him out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a similar issue with Martell when he got to OSU. Not surprising, he came from a powerhouse national program and was unbeaten in HS, but Day definitely knows how to tap into guys' talent and get them to buy in and improve. The work he did with Haskins was evident, but Martell actually owns the OSU record for most attempts in a game with a 100% completion percentage (granted it was Rutgers, but nobody else did that).

While I'd be thrilled to grab Fields, because he'd be a perfect fit in our offense (looks to be JT Barrett with an actual arm), I'd hate to see Martell spend two years in the program and put in all the work for it all to be for nothing. That said, he was a top 100 recruit with offers from several elite programs, so he wouldn't be short on interested programs if Fields were to come in and beat him out. Plus I believe he graduates this spring, so he might be able to grad transfer and play right away. That said, Fields would still have to beat him out.
I 10000% retract this statement.

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, GA would have been better with Fields as their starting qb. I thought so two years ago, but it would have been difficult to bench Fromm with all that he had accomplished.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the buckeyes case I'm not as thrilled with Martell as others are. He looked suspect in the spring game against the only real elite talent he faced. Granted he's had eight months since to fix a lot of things. I think Fields has the much higher ceiling of the two especially considering height.

Boom