• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will any of the 7th rounders make the team?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
did you mean 'season'?

the practice squad is established right after the 53 man roster. so both after pre-season games, just prior to the regular season.

Yes I meant season.

Since Okoye is so raw, I would imagine you would give him a bunch of preseason playing time in the 3rd and 4th quarter. But if he shows good on tape during those games, which I suspect he might, other teams might want him. So there's a small probably IMHO he ends up on our 53 man roster.

I would have no problem putting him on there instead of Dobbs or Tukuafu if he shows more promise.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes I meant season.

Since Okoye is so raw, I would imagine you would give him a bunch of preseason playing time in the 3rd and 4th quarter. But if he shows good on tape during those games, which I suspect he might, other teams might want him. So there's a small probably IMHO he ends up on our 53 man roster.

I would have no problem putting him on there instead of Dobbs or Tukuafu if he shows more promise.

'raw' is an understatement, the way i read it he has ZERO football experience. again, the NFL is not the place to start learning?

your opinion is fine and didn't mean to 'argue', but mine is...............he'll do great just to make it into a Pre-Season game. odds are he'll be part of the first cut down.

nmgsc2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way he ends up on another team is if they put him on their 53 man roster which I don't think other teams would do. I say this because other teams will want someone that can contribute now on their 53 man and will help them win today.

Now after a full season of being on a practice squad and learning the game, I could see next year someone might pluck him off a PS to put on a 53 man roster if he really started showing something. But IMHO I don't think anyone will put him on a 53 man roster unless he just explodes onto the scene this pre-season, at which point I think we won't let him leave our team and will figure out a way to utilize him. I mean he has played Rugby so he understands tackling techniques and angles. So I think he can translate fine in that respect. Obviously play recognition is where it will take a lot of time to learn and film study.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah Okoye has a super steep learning curve that is for sure.

I'm super excited to see a bunch of guys in preseason action:

Reid, McDonald, Lemonier, Dial, Okoye, Patton, Marquart

Can't wait!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Players on the practice squad can't play in the preseason.

Plus teams are allowed more than 53 players on the roster in the preseason.

There is no PS during the preseason. Final cuts aren't until after preseason ends. You can carry 75 guys until then.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes I meant season.

If he shows well enough that another team wants him on the active roster, we may just do so ourselves. IF not, I'd imagine he picked the Niners for a reason. And once Jim Tomsula has his hooks in a guy, I don't thnk he'd be jumping to go to another PS.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only way he ends up on another team is if they put him on their 53 man roster which I don't think other teams would do. I say this because other teams will want someone that can contribute now on their 53 man and will help them win today.

Now after a full season of being on a practice squad and learning the game, I could see next year someone might pluck him off a PS to put on a 53 man roster if he really started showing something. But IMHO I don't think anyone will put him on a 53 man roster unless he just explodes onto the scene this pre-season, at which point I think we won't let him leave our team and will figure out a way to utilize him. I mean he has played Rugby so he understands tackling techniques and angles. So I think he can translate fine in that respect. Obviously play recognition is where it will take a lot of time to learn and film study.

technique - the various ways O-linemen will attack him, how TE's and RB's chip him? shedding blocks/using his hands?

speed of the game - how fast the plays happen around him?

they just can't afford to give him much reps, cause we already have other guys to evalute. first to mind is Tank, granted they'll take it slow on him. then there is Dial, who himself doesn't have a lot of game reps.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone here ever wonder if the Niners can also have Okoye play FB ala Tukuafu? I'm sure he carried the ball in rugby at one point or another

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They should have plenty of time to see where that guy fits. He should be very safe on the practice squad unless he's spectacular in the pre-season and surprises everyone. He'll need a lot of work and repetition no matter where we stick him. But that would be an interesting place to try him. There is nothing to lose with this guy so why not see if he can do both? I could see him developing into a backup and could get some good use as a blocker in goal line situations.