• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why The Bengals should draft a QB

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to watch Michigan a lot back then. I always thought he was very underrated and that Lloyd Carr was an idiot for rotating Henson into the game. Of course I never would imagine he would have the type of career he has had, but he had a lot of moxie and a nice arm back then.Then again, if you look at the old combine footage, you an understand why nobody drafted him higher. When he ran the 40, he looked like a mid-thirties beer league softball player.

That says it all.....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to watch Michigan a lot back then. I always thought he was very underrated and that Lloyd Carr was an idiot for rotating Henson into the game. Of course I never would imagine he would have the type of career he has had, but he had a lot of moxie and a nice arm back then.

Then again, if you look at the old combine footage, you an understand why nobody drafted him higher. When he ran the 40, he looked like a mid-thirties beer league softball player.

I can see that I guess. I agree Carr was an idiot.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching last night's UC game...I'm even more convinced that Teddy Bridgewater will be no more than a back-up/journeyman QB at the NFL level.

I don't see it. I don't think his arm is that good, I don't think his build will allow him to last, and I don't think that his decision making is all that great, either. I've watched a few other games with him, and each time I come away unimpressed.

I know I'm in the minority...but, I don't know what I'm not seeing that others see in him.

Honestly, I'd rather have Murray or Mettenburger (sp?), from what I've seen out of them. Of course, I don't study game film/tape/etc like a lot of others so, I'm sure maybe this is why my opinion of him is limited.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Teddy B. is an absolute best and he'll be the #1 pick in the draft and will have a very productive career. He was absolutely amazing in that 4th quarter last night.

As to why we should draft a QB.....because Dalton isn't good enough. Simple as that.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Teddy B. is an absolute best and he'll be the #1 pick in the draft and will have a very productive career. He was absolutely amazing in that 4th quarter last night.

As to why we should draft a QB.....because Dalton isn't good enough. Simple as that.

Being the best doesn't mean that he'll end up a top tier QB...

His 4th quarter was amassed on some terrible angle tackling, and a ball that he was trying to throw out of bounds (he's looking OB when he slings it) but he got lucky that the DB left his man and the WR happened to be there. That was a terrible decision (outcome does not mean that it was a good decision) though the outcome was good for him.

I just don't see it. He's got escapability at the NCAA level, but I don't see it at the NFL level at all.

Like I said, I know I'm in the minority on him, and that's fine. Just one persons' opinion, and I could end up being very wrong. We'll see in 2-3 years.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His 4th quarter was amassed on some terrible angle tackling, and a ball that he was trying to throw out of bounds (he's looking OB when he slings it) but he got lucky that the DB left his man and the WR happened to be there. That was a terrible decision (outcome does not mean that it was a good decision) though the outcome was good for him.

I just don't see it. He's got escapability at the NCAA level, but I don't see it at the NFL level at all.

Like I said, I know I'm in the minority on him, and that's fine. Just one persons' opinion, and I could end up being very wrong. We'll see in 2-3 years.

Everyone was down on Cam too. Were you one of 'em?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm kind of agreeing with you...I think he's the best QB coming out this year, but as a pro prospect...I don't see anything special.

I like Mettenberg better...(not Murray though, I think he's be a career backup).

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching last night's UC game...I'm even more convinced that Teddy Bridgewater will be no more than a back-up/journeyman QB at the NFL level.

I don't see it. I don't think his arm is that good, I don't think his build will allow him to last, and I don't think that his decision making is all that great, either. I've watched a few other games with him, and each time I come away unimpressed.

I know I'm in the minority...but, I don't know what I'm not seeing that others see in him.

He's completed over 70% of his passes this year, has 28 TDs and 4 ints....

But hey, you saw him play against UC. Solid analysis.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I also said, I've seen him play in other games.

Brandon kay also completes nearly 70% of his passes...He has thrown for just 400 yards less than Teddy, and has 20 TD's to 9 INT's. Not bad considering he had to learn a new offense, and wasn't even the full time starter until the 3rd or 4th game when Munchie went down (a decision to start Munchie that baffles every UC fan. Kay is the better QB). Teddy has 28 and 4 by comparison.

What I'm saying is...Kay is just as comparable, stats-wise, to Teddy. Kay is not going to be drafted in the first 3 rounds. You can also argue that Lou has much better talent than UC to surround Teddy with.

What has to seperate Teddy from Kay is some intangibles...things I've not seen in the last 2 years having watched him play some.

Now, I don't watch every Louisville game, but I've seen him play. I've always been left wanting to see more out of him.

And yes, I had my questions about Cam, but those were different questions than I have about Teddy. I think Teddy has some good qualities. I just don't know if I think he'll be a top tier QB in the NFL, which is what you need to get if you are going to spend a top 5 pick on any player, not just QB.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it you're a UC fan, but don't even start comparing Brendon Kay to Bridgewater.

Their stats are NOT comparable. Kay has 20 TDs and 11 (not 9) ints this year. That is a far cry from 28/4. Bridgewater hasn't thrown below 65% in his career. Every college/NFL analyst isn't crazy.

Also not sure why you guys are even comparing Cam and Teddy. One is a dual threat guy and the other is a pocket passer.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgive me, I just really am struggling on this one.

What I'm saying is...Kay is just as comparable, stats-wise, to Teddy.

68% completion rate, 20 TDs, 11 ints

70% completion rate, 28 TDs, 4 ints

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bridgewater reminds me of McNabb. I havent seen much of Kay but he doesnt look like an NFL prospect from what I saw in the Louisville game.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And in 1998, Akili Smith, while not passing for 70% (just 58%), threw for nearly 3800 yards with 32 TD's and 8 INT's.

In 2011, Kellen Moore of Boise State threw for 74% completion percentage, 3800 yards, 43 TD's and 9 INT's. What's ol Kellen doing now a days? Backing up in Detroit, or 3rd string maybe isn't he?

For God sake, Bridgewater is in Louisville, it isn't like it is the SEC or ACC. I am not impressed with him either Cincy78. I agree with you.

College is one thing, the NFL is totally different.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in 1998, Akili Smith, while not passing for 70% (just 58%), threw for nearly 3800 yards with 32 TD's and 8 INT's.

In 2011, Kellen Moore of Boise State threw for 74% completion percentage, 3800 yards, 43 TD's and 9 INT's. What's ol Kellen doing now a days? Backing up in Detroit, or 3rd string maybe isn't he?

For God sake, Bridgewater is in Louisville, it isn't like it is the SEC or ACC. I am not impressed with him either Cincy78. I agree with you.

College is one thing, the NFL is totally different.

LOL! I remember when a few of you folks suggested he was Drew Brees.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just smh stop reading and move on anytime anyone says that Bridgewater doesn't have the tools to be an elite NFL QB.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! I remember when a few of you folks suggested he was Drew Brees.

I remember thinking Kellen Moore would be a good later round draft pick to groom and potentially start down t he road. I never thought he was a Drew Brees, not even close.

Teddy Bridgewater, yes, he has talent, but again, it all depends on what you do once you get there, and overall, his play in college does not scream franchise QB. It screams good college QB, with a chance to be a good NFL QB...but that guarantees nothing.

As I said, I just stop listening when I hear someone say 3 to 5 college QB's this next year entering the draft have a chance at being a NFL Franchise QB. Yes, everyone has a chance, but if we are lucky, ONE will become a franchise QB, not 3 to 5. If we are just goign to argue chance, then every QB eligible for the draft "has a chance".

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's odd..... I just did a search on Kellen Moore on our forum and nothing really came up. I specifically remember arguing with a few of you about why he wasn't going to be a good pro.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Teddy Bridgewater, yes, he has talent, but again, it all depends on what you do once you get there, and overall, his play in college does not scream franchise QB. It screams good college QB, with a chance to be a good NFL QB...but that guarantees nothing.

I don't completely disagree with your opinion, but those sureshot, blue chip QBs are very rare. Maybe a handful every ten years.

If you wait for an Andrew Luck type prospect you're probably never going to find a franchise QB.

I see a Russell Wilson/Matt Ryan skillset when I watch Bridgewater, and I think he has that type of ceiling as a player with the right coaching.

Another QB who intrigues me is Carr. I figured he was a product of a weak schedule and a gimmick offense until I watched him play. He has a big time arm and is super accurate.

I also add a disclaimer that I defer to the experts who'll be offering their opinion as it gets closer to the draft. Greg Cosell and Jaworksi are the best.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bridgewater reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. Their skill sets are eerily similar.