• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why SF Should Keep Crabtree

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would give Crabtree Top 10 Money. Not Top 5 Money.

I wouldn't. I'd consider giving him top-20 money. But the reality is that his resume is somewhat limited, and while he showed well coming off the injury, he hasn't shown he's at 100%. If we extend him now, I wouldn't make him one of the highest paid at the position.

That said, it's really hard to divorce this conversation from our track record with receivers. We have not shown an ability to find WRs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't. I'd consider giving him top-20 money. But the reality is that his resume is somewhat limited, and while he showed well coming off the injury, he hasn't shown he's at 100%. If we extend him now, I wouldn't make him one of the highest paid at the position.

That said, it's really hard to divorce this conversation from our track record with receivers. We have not shown an ability to find WRs.

true, but are there viable options?

they must head into this draft looking at WR's too. they can't shy away from a WR, or even trade up, if that's what they evaluate. similar to Reid last year, it was a strong Safety class but if there's one you like...............

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Will people stop with the track record of drafting WRs? Baalke has drafted 4 WRs since becoming GM. One was a first rounder, and it was his only 1st-round bust. Two were 6th rounders, and one was Patton in the 4th. It's not like he's invested a ton of assets into the WR position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will people stop with the track record of drafting WRs? Baalke has drafted 4 WRs since becoming GM. One was a first rounder, and it was his only 1st-round bust. Two were 6th rounders, and one was Patton in the 4th. It's not like he's invested a ton of assets into the WR position.

ok true IF you limit it to Baalke, and it should be limited to Baalke. but the complaint is more "the 49ers", which is an easy way to do it.

if we all go back to the 2010 draft, after the 9th pick was made.......there aren't many here who would've passed on Crabtree? a note to ALL..............please don't post that YOU would've passed.

at that time, he was considered a top 5 prospect.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
ok true IF you limit it to Baalke, and it should be limited to Baalke. but the complaint is more "the 49ers", which is an easy way to do it.

if we all go back to the 2010 draft, after the 9th pick was made.......there aren't many here who would've passed on Crabtree? a note to ALL..............please don't post that YOU would've passed.

at that time, he was considered a top 5 prospect.

Sorry I can't accommodate your request; I wanted Brian Orakpo. So yes I would've passed on Crabtree. And it was 2009 not 2010.

But yes it should be limited to Baalke. I don't see how it makes sense that it would be a bad idea to try to develop new WRs because Terry Donahue was a terrible GM.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry I can't accommodate your request; I wanted Brian Orakpo. So yes I would've passed on Crabtree. And it was 2009 not 2010.

But yes it should be limited to Baalke. I don't see how it makes sense that it would be a bad idea to try to develop new WRs because Terry Donahue was a terrible GM.

why say it if no one will believe you?

you're correct, it was 2009.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
why say it if no one will believe you?

you're correct, it was 2009.

I wouldn't make this stuff up. Everyone from the old ESPN forum will believe me. We got into some very heated debates about Crabtree that day. I said his ceiling was a TJ Houshmandzadeh kind of prospect, and imac said the exact same thing without even seeing my post about it (weird coincidence). He wanted Malcom Jenkins at #10.

There were a couple others who supported me back then; I think Clyde did too, but he was fixated on Everette Brown. But I'd say about 8 out of 10 people said Crabtree was the right guy.

I don't know why someone wouldn't believe that. I've never gone back on either supporting a draft pick or hating it. In fact:

Eric Reid: Loved that pick
A.J. Jenkins: Called my impression of him "not positive." That was here on SportsHoopla, so it may be still there.
Aldon Smith: was president of his fan club. Even started a thread about how people felt about the pick.
Iupati: Loved it
Anthony Davis: Hated the pick; thought there was much better value on the board.
Michael Crabtree: Hated it. Wanted Brian Orakpo.
Kentwan Ballmer: Thought it was a good but not great pick (missed on that one).
Staley & Willis: Liked 'em both.
Vernon Davis: Hated the pick; wanted to trade down.
Alex Smith: Stated before the draft Rodgers would be better & that he had to step into his throws to get any velocity. Wanted to trade down.
Woods: Abhorred that pick. Started a W_I_L_F_O_R_K!!! thread. It was called blasphemy.
Kwame Harris: Loved that pick. Big miss.
Mike Rumph: Didn't like the pick, but I thought he might make a good FS.
Andre Carter: Pissed Richard Seymour was taken 1 pick ahead of him; thought the Carter pick was ok.

That's about as far back as I was posting draft opinions. None of this is revisionist history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
true, but are there viable options?

they must head into this draft looking at WR's too. they can't shy away from a WR, or even trade up, if that's what they evaluate. similar to Reid last year, it was a strong Safety class but if there's one you like...............

I think to some extent they need to target WRs. I'd like to come out of this draft with two WRs, preferably taken within the first five rounds or so. We have absolutely got to plan for the future at the position.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

My complaint is more with the coaching staff and QB. Sure, they haven't had a ton to work with, but as I have addressed ad nauseam in other threads, almost every other team was able to find production from lower picks or UDFAs last year. Our production out of one of our starting WR spots for most of the season was simply atrocious. We desperately needed anyone at all to step up, and no one did. Even a semi-competent coaching staff should be able to get more out of the players we had on the roster. Hell, Ricardo Lockette, a guy we cut, put up numbers that were as good as our fourth receiver (and we cut our third receiver halfway through the season...) on a team that passes almost as infrequently as we do. Chris Owusu, another cut, had 114 yards receiving for the worst passing team (by yards) in the league. AJ Jenkins had 130 yards.

The inability of this coaching staff to develop and utilize WRs is arguably the biggest concern we have going forward. How Morton still has a job is an absolute mystery to me. The guy has done literally nothing in three years.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I read Deep's post as extending it to the whole organization, not just the GM. Though maybe I'm wrong. I agree lumping Baalke in with prior GMs isn't entirely fair, though he had a significant hand in McCloughan's drafts.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wouldn't make this stuff up. Everyone from the old ESPN forum will believe me. We got into some very heated debates about Crabtree that day. I said his ceiling was a TJ Houshmandzadeh kind of prospect, and imac said the exact same thing without even seeing my post about it (weird coincidence). He wanted Malcom Jenkins at #10.

There were a couple others who supported me back then; I think Clyde did too, but he was fixated on Everette Brown. But I'd say about 8 out of 10 people said Crabtree was the right guy.

I don't know why someone wouldn't believe that. I've never gone back on either supporting a draft pick or hating it. In fact:

Eric Reid: Loved that pick
A.J. Jenkins: Called my impression of him "not positive." That was here on SportsHoopla, so it may be still there.
Aldon Smith: was president of his fan club. Even started a thread about how people felt about the pick.
Iupati: Loved it
Anthony Davis: Hated the pick; thought there was much better value on the board.
Michael Crabtree: Hated it. Wanted Brian Orakpo.
Kentwan Ballmer: Thought it was a good but not great pick (missed on that one).
Staley & Willis: Liked 'em both.
Vernon Davis: Hated the pick; wanted to trade down.
Alex Smith: Stated before the draft Rodgers would be better & that he had to step into his throws to get any velocity. Wanted to trade down.
Woods: Abhorred that pick. Started a W_I_L_F_O_R_K!!! thread. It was called blasphemy.
Kwame Harris: Loved that pick. Big miss.
Mike Rumph: Didn't like the pick, but I thought he might make a good FS.
Andre Carter: Pissed Richard Seymour was taken 1 pick ahead of him; thought the Carter pick was ok.

That's about as far back as I was posting draft opinions. None of this is revisionist history.

I don't recall that. There were several people, myself included, who were calling for Wilfork before we traded down.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was reviewing Crabtree's numbers from the end of 2012 for a discussion in another thread. I think people are forgetting how effective he was. In his last eight starts of 2012, basically once he and Kap really started to click, he was great. He had six games above 90 yards, and five over 100, averaging 102 YPG over that span. He had seven TDs. He was a huge part of our super bowl run that year.

Again, I'm not saying pay him premium dollar, particularly given his injury history, but the light really went on for him prior to the Achilles tear.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reviewing Crabtree's numbers from the end of 2012 for a discussion in another thread. I think people are forgetting how effective he was. In his last eight starts of 2012, basically once he and Kap really started to click, he was great. He had six games above 90 yards, and five over 100, averaging 102 YPG over that span. He had seven TDs. He was a huge part of our super bowl run that year.

Again, I'm not saying pay him premium dollar, particularly given his injury history, but the light really went on for him prior to the Achilles tear.

I saw it that year as well... Crabby was Kaps first/only read and he was locked on.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quinton Patton - WR - 49ers

The 49ers' organization reportedly views 2013 fourth-round pick Quinton Patton as a future starter at wide receiver.

Patton is unlikely to get that opportunity in 2014, but it could certainly happen in a season or two. Patton finished his rookie year with just three catches for 34 yards in six appearances. He has forward-thinking WR5 value in Dynasty leagues.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Feb 19 - 9:50 PM

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Sure Crabree has decent regular season stats, but our focus has to be on beating the Seahawks. They will basically have the same team intact next year plus Percy Harvin.

Are you confident that Kaep to Crabtree can beat the Seahawk secondary in clutch time? I am not at all. It scares the crap out of me. When everything is on the line, Kaep to Crabtree will not be a charm the 3rd time around.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sure Crabree has decent regular season stats, but our focus has to be on beating the Seahawks. They will basically have the same team intact next year plus Percy Harvin.

Are you confident that Kaep to Crabtree can beat the Seahawk secondary in clutch time? I am not at all. It scares the crap out of me. When everything is on the line, Kaep to Crabtree will not be a charm the 3rd time around.

Of course not, and I haven't seen anyone suggest otherwise. Obviously we need to add at least one WR high in this draft, and try to upgrade the C spot. That's a different discussion than Crabtree's talent/worth, though. I certainly don't think we'd be better without Crabtree.