• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why SF Should Keep Crabtree

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A couple quick thoughts on Crabby-

The dude has owned Patrick Peterson during their careers...

He has also torched GB the last couple seasons in the playoffs, and the Niners probably lose this year without his effort...

He can step it up in bigger games, for example last year on the road in NE, this season against Atl on MNF, last year in the SB (often forgot about because of the last drive)...

The 49ers are 14-4 with Kap and Crabby in the starting lineup, that includes the playoffs. The 49ers were 7-4 without Crabby in the starting lineup this season...

It's hard to guage him on his stats alone, considering the 49ers pass the ball far less than most teams in the NFL. But when they do pass it, Crabtree always seems to show up when he is called upon...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And I'm a kook??? You say he's more than a very good possession receiver, but you don't want to break the bank for him? Apparently you don't want the Niners to put their money where your mouth is because if he were what you say he is he'd be worth all that money.

Get your Niner goggles off people. Crabtree is barely a 1000-yard receiver (which doesn't mean as much in today's NFL as it used to). He's injury prone. And #1 receivers are making double digit millions these days.

I was called worse than a kook for saying the Niners should let Aubrayo Franklin, Kevan Barlow & Ahmed Plummer walk. And for saying letting Julian Peterson walk was the right decision.

Wide receivers are a dime a dozen. It takes an extremely rare one to justify double-digit millions.

Crabtree, when healthy and playing with a QB who makes use of the WR position, was much more than a 1,000-yard receiver. I supported Alex more than most, but he just did not make use of the WR position. Dwayne Bowe had his worst season as a WR this year with Alex at QB (excluding the year he only played 11 games, but was on a faster pace), despite Smith throwing 63 more passes than his highest mark with the Niners (14% more).

And wide receivers may be a dime a dozen, but if that's the case, we've been using pennies.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The 49ers are 14-4 with Kap and Crabby in the starting lineup, that includes the playoffs. The 49ers were 7-4 without Crabby in the starting lineup this season...

This is like the argument people made about Peyton Manning. They pointed to how bad the Colts were without him. This argument is only half valid. It reinforced how good Manning was, but it ignored how absolutely atrocious Curtis Painter is (and how bad the washed-up Kerry Collins was).

Crabtree is a good receiver, but Kyle Williams isn't even good enough to be in the league (right Clyde?). He was Crabtree's main replacement along with some other really, really bad receivers like Manningham was last year.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is like the argument people made about Peyton Manning. They pointed to how bad the Colts were without him. This argument is only half valid. It reinforced how good Manning was, but it ignored how absolutely atrocious Curtis Painter is (and how bad the washed-up Kerry Collins was).

Crabtree is a good receiver, but Kyle Williams isn't even good enough to be in the league (right Clyde?). He was Crabtree's main replacement along with some other really, really bad receivers like Manningham was last year.

Sure, but to use your own Colin Kaepernick argument against that, they still had the fastest and one of the best TE's in the game, a great Anquan Boldin, a superior running game and the best defense to back it all up...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sure, but to use your own Colin Kaepernick argument against that, they still had the fastest and one of the best TE's in the game, a great Anquan Boldin, a superior running game and the best defense to back it all up...

I'm not following how that speaks to the ability of Crabtree.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again you're contradicting yourself. You say he's more than a very good possession WR; you say he's in the conversation for top 10 in the league. But you then say he's worth 6-7 million a year. Those 2 things are mutually exclusive.

Why can't I think that borderline top 10 receivers aren't worth more than 6-7 million a year? It's only a receiver that we're talking about here.

I'm sure Jerry Rice is rolling in his grave now that I said that.

Your point is that GMs value receivers of that caliber at more than 6-7 million a year. That's fine, fuck em. Hopefully Baalke is smarter than that. Imagine if we had signed someone like Mike Wallace to the contract that Miami signed him to. What a nightmare.

Anyway, what I think Crabtree (or any WR) is worth contract-wise has nothing to do with how good Crabtree is. And overall, he's very good.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Why can't I think that borderline top 10 receivers aren't worth more than 6-7 million a year? It's only a receiver that we're talking about here.

Did you consider Santonio Holmes a borderline top 10 receiver when he was a Steeler? 'Cause he got about 10 million a year. Did you consider Vincent Jackson a borderline top 10 receiver? Because he got about 11 million a year. And that was a few years ago.

Name a receiver who's a borderline top 10 guy who signed for 6-7 million a year. And I don't mean rookie contracts.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I'm not following how that speaks to the ability of Crabtree.

I cited Crabtree's injury as to why Kaepernick had some trouble toward the begining of the season, to support an argument. You dismissed the notion because Kap still had Davis, Boldin, the running game, and a great defense.

Now you are citing the same reason as to why the record reflected a severe drop-off with Crabtree out, to support your argument. I am simply pointing out that you dismissed the idea when it did not support your argument, but are now using the same circumstance to support your argument about the record drop-off...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I cited Crabtree's injury as to why Kaepernick had some trouble toward the begining of the season, to support an argument. You dismissed the notion because Kap still had Davis, Boldin, the running game, and a great defense.

Now you are citing the same reason as to why the record reflected a severe drop-off with Crabtree out, to support your argument. I am simply pointing out that you dismissed the idea when it did not support your argument, but are now using the same circumstance to support your argument about the record drop-off...

Let's not talk about Crabtree like I think he's a scrub; that's an extreme & wrong position. I totally agree that Crabtree is a good receiver, and I think we would both agree that Kyle Williams sucks like a black hole.

I don't even think Kaepernick is a scrub. I think he's dumb as shit, but he's still an ok QB. But there's a difference between giving a guy credit for not completely sucking and wanting to spend a dump truck full of hundreds on him.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if a moron is making the argument.

There is absolutely no argument that Hopkins, Hunter, Patterson, and Rodgers are better than Crabtree right now. Allen is the closest, but he isn't there yet. Greg Jennings? Seriously? Is is 2010? If you're knocking Crabtree for injuries, Nicks doesn't belong anywhere near this list. Hilton is miscast as a #1 receiver; he's far too streaky to be reliable week in and week out. The same could be said for Wallace. Both those guys failed to reach 50 yards in over half their games this season.

The remainder of the list are in the discussion, at least, including Cobb and Nelson, but this list overall is ridiculous.

Sorry to burst your Crabtree bubble with such a large list. The statement was Crabby was a top 10 WR, a blanket statement, but when players from around the league are listed its clear. I listed 36 players that were better, of them you liked 25+ of them better then Crabby. The others were young and haven't had enough time or on the back end of their career though still playing better than Crabby.

So only a moron would think Crabby is a top 10 WR.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry to burst your Crabtree bubble with such a large list. The statement was Crabby was a top 10 WR, a blanket statement, but when players from around the league are listed its clear. I listed 36 players that were better, of them you liked 25+ of them better then Crabby. The others were young and haven't had enough time or on the back end of their career though still playing better than Crabby.

So only a moron would think Crabby is a top 10 WR.

It was, and I disagreed with the statement. Your statement was just as hyperbolic.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm sure Crabby would fit in really nice with a more pass friendly team like NO or GB... I'm sure he would shoot up everyone's WR list, working out of one of those offenses...

Thats probably something Crabby will have to strongly consider when he begins discussions with the front office, in regard to a new contract. He's still young enough to audition on a one year contract with another team, and then earn himself a fat contract after that...

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I am worried about is the history of the Niners to draft and then develop wide receivers. They have failed miserably in this position. As Crimson noted, ever since TO, Crabtree has been the only receiver they have had success with. I would like for the Niners to be able to keep him, but will they be able to afford him? If the Niners are able to resign Boldin, let's see what a healthy Crabtree and Boldin can do along with Patton, who did show some promise in his rookie season.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a very good receiver and has great hands. Is he worth $10 mil per year? Marshall was the highest paid WR last year at $9.1 mill (base pay). I don't think he should get $10 mill per year, but he plays an integral part offensively. When healthy, he's productive like in 2012.

I dont think he is worth $10 mil a year either but Eric Dek is supposed to get $10 mil and I would take #15 over him all day and twice on Sunday. Crabtree is damn good and has some of the best hands

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a dilemma because of the Niners' lack of success in wideouts. Even if Boldin gets resign, Niners need someone on the other side. Let's hope that Patton gets more opportunities in 2014.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does referencing players who are clearly not on Crabtree's level at this point prove any point?

Crabtrees level? Are you high? What level is Crabtree on because at this point he isn't on any elite level. Those 6 players you are referring too while skipping the other 25+ is your problem which is the point. He isn't as good as you think he is compared to others in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give Crabtree Top 10 Money. Not Top 5 Money.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crabtrees level? Are you high? What level is Crabtree on because at this point he isn't on any elite level. Those 6 players you are referring too while skipping the other 25+ is your problem which is the point. He isn't as good as you think he is compared to others in the league.

You listed 36 guys if we break up Nelson and Cobb (I don't see any argument for Jones on the Packers). Of your list from 21-36, Nicks, Hopkins, Hunter, Patterson, Jennings, and Rodgers are clearly not in Crabtree's class yet. Allen is the closest, but he's not there yet, either. This is a subjective conversation, but Crabtree is objectively better than those guys. Mentioning these guys weakens your argument IMO, because it says to me that you're just throwing out names without giving it much serious thought, or are crediting potential far too highly. I don't think Floyd is in that class, either, but I suppose there's some argument. Similarly, Hilton and Wallace are boom or bust guys within a given game, and are not close to being reliable #1 receivers. I would take Crabtree over any of them, and I don't think it's particularly close if we're talking about an all-around receiver.

Of the others, they are more debatable. You could realistically slot Crabtree anywhere between 10 and 25 and it would be hard to win an argument convincingly as to any given player being clearly better or worse. I think he's more versatile than Welker and Colston, more dangerous than Boldin, far more consistent than Torrey Smith, clearly doesn't have the baggage of Blackmon. But there is room for argument in all of these. Simply saying the initial 20 guys you mentioned are better than Crabtree is too much of a blanket statement IMO.