• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Russell Wilson's megadeal may not be coming as quickly as we think

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One never knows. Still, I think for all parties involved, sooner is better, then later. For Wilson, security is getting his second contract, because a career ending injury can always happen, doesn't have to career ending, just a series of injuries, that derail his next season could happen.
For the Seahawks signing Wilson now, will be less $ then signing him when he's a free agent( barring a injury plagued season or just a awful season). Also good to have that position settled, so they can go to the next priority
It may not happen quickly, but I think before next season starts, Wilson will have his new contract.
Signing him now could get him at least close to what he could get if he waited for free agency. Fresh off his 2nd SB and a great shot at #3 is a great time for him to negotiate. Figure that IF the Seahawks have an off year or an injury, that could hurt Wilsons value a bit. Not knowing what the future holds, I would want a contract now if I were Wilson while its a sure thing. Then again, there is always the chance he wins another SB and becomes a FA after that. He would hold all the cards then.

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell isnt stupid, it would be meaningless to goto another team for a huge contract and have that team suck.... then he doesnt get the attention nor the huge endorsements. So it would be logical to take a 5-10 million cut and win when you can make 30+ million from other revenues.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like speculation for the most part. I do hope the deal gets done soon.( talking about the Blount interview).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing him now could get him at least close to what he could get if he waited for free agency. Fresh off his 2nd SB and a great shot at #3 is a great time for him to negotiate. Figure that IF the Seahawks have an off year or an injury, that could hurt Wilsons value a bit. Not knowing what the future holds, I would want a contract now if I were Wilson while its a sure thing. Then again, there is always the chance he wins another SB and becomes a FA after that. He would hold all the cards then.

I think Wilson will receive a huge contract and what ever it turns out to be, next year Luck will get even a larger contract. I'm sure Lucks agent is waiting to hear how much Wilson is going to get and hoping it's huge, so he can use it for a starting point when talking to the Colts. Other young QBs are going to use Wilson contract for a measuring stick also. I'm sure Cam Newton and his agent are very interested in how this contract turns out.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell isnt stupid, it would be meaningless to goto another team for a huge contract and have that team suck.... then he doesnt get the attention nor the huge endorsements. So it would be logical to take a 5-10 million cut and win when you can make 30+ million from other revenues.
Peyton has the highest endorsements in the league right now at 12m/yr. Wilson is somewhere between 5 and 12m/yr. Nowhere near 30m/yr.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling this contract is going to WOW everybody once it's announced. Let's hope this contract is done before draft day cause I really want to know what an "outside the box" type contract is.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling this contract is going to WOW everybody once it's announced. Let's hope this contract is done before draft day cause I really want to know what an "outside the box" type contract is.
Hell I just wish they would get it done already. You know it's going have some wow feature to it. Those of us that post on the general board best brace for the ...oh now the Seahawks are screwed posts that will surely follow his signing.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do not think this contract gets done before the draft. I think they go through the draft get those guys signed then Wilson his agent and the Hawks FO sit down and smash out this deal.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do not think this contract gets done before the draft. I think they go through the draft get those guys signed then Wilson his agent and the Hawks FO sit down and smash out this deal.
You might be right, but what makes you think that?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 years, $90M, all guaranteed.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero doubt this deal gets done, so I'm rooting more to see something happen with Wagner. The run D just fell on its arse when he was out and then immediately snapped back into form when he returned.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right, but what makes you think that?

The reason i think this is because of flexibility for the draft. There is no doubt they will give Wilson a new contract and he will become one of the highest paid QB's in the NFL. The thing is if they hold off till after the draft this allows them a little more flexibility IN the draft. Move up for say a big first round pick or trade down then work Wilson's contract around to make it fit. They might tie their hands if they go about it to fast and limit what they can do in the draft as far as trades. One thing we have learned is PC and JS like to keep full options open. DO what they have to do then after the draft work his contract to fit and still make him one of the highest paid QB's.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm.....I definitely agree flexibility in the draft is a good thing, but why does the timing of RW's extension influence that?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason i think this is because of flexibility for the draft. There is no doubt they will give Wilson a new contract and he will become one of the highest paid QB's in the NFL. The thing is if they hold off till after the draft this allows them a little more flexibility IN the draft. Move up for say a big first round pick or trade down then work Wilson's contract around to make it fit. They might tie their hands if they go about it to fast and limit what they can do in the draft as far as trades. One thing we have learned is PC and JS like to keep full options open. DO what they have to do then after the draft work his contract to fit and still make him one of the highest paid QB's.

I can't imagine that the structure of his contract is not already in place. JS seems to approach things with too much foresight to allow last minute decisions to dictate such a big contract.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 years, $90M, all guaranteed.

That does sound like it is about right. A significantly lower AAV than some other QBs but guaranteeing the entire contract is a pretty nice option. That would be pretty hard for Wilson to turn down.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton has the highest endorsements in the league right now at 12m/yr. Wilson is somewhere between 5 and 12m/yr. Nowhere near 30m/yr.
Exactly the majority of Pay-A-Ton commercials are national. Wilson not so much. If Wilson went to a bigger market than the possibility of larger and national endorsements is also something he needs to figure into potential earnings.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly the majority of Pay-A-Ton commercials are national. Wilson not so much. If Wilson went to a bigger market than the possibility of larger and national endorsements is also something he needs to figure into potential earnings.

Oh is the nations 14th largest market not big enough? In 2013 they were ranked 5th largest Market for NFL teams. People just think Seattle is some small ass town with a tiny market LMAO! The ignorance about Seattle is just crazy, do these people really not know this or are they just teasing? lol

Also Wilson is better known around the nation than 20 to 25 other starting QB's in the NFL, he is the NFL's new darling :)

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of his commercials are national. He earned more than 5m last year in endorsements and from what I can tell only a handful of others made more. He is listed as the highest rising star in marketability. He has the potential to become the largest as peyton, breez, and brady keep getting older. He is expected to surpass several of them in the next year or so which is pretty incredible for a guy still just 3 years into his career.

My point was this notion of being willing to take a much lower pay rate in exchange for staying on a winning team and turning that into 30m+/yr in endorsements isn't feasible. He will still earn more money as a high profile starting QB in salary than he will in endorsements.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine that the structure of his contract is not already in place. JS seems to approach things with too much foresight to allow last minute decisions to dictate such a big contract.

What i was saying is they do not know if the option will even be there or if someone makes a can't refuse deal to them to move up. Holding off a little gives them more wiggle room for the "just in case" and then they can tweak things around in Wilson's contract to make everything "fit" better if it "did" happen. Right now it would just be a shot in the dark.

tnerb57

Rams 50+ Club Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello, Seahawks fans. WE'RE COMIN' TO GET YOU!