• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is the Superbowl played on Sunday?

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think it should be played on Saturday so we can recoup on Sunday, lol...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good question. I'm always in bad shape the following Monday. There would be those who complain because they are used to playing on Saturday, but i hear ya man. I'd prefer a Saturday Super Bowl.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like it too. But I think cuz most games are played on Sunday and the fact most people more than likely have Sundays off more than Saturdays.

I took Monday off : )

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it should be played on Saturday so we can recoup on Sunday, lol...

NFL plays on Sunday's in order to maximize viewership - More people are 'not working' on Sunday than any other day of the week.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like it too. But I think cuz most games are played on Sunday and the fact most people more than likely have Sundays off more than Saturdays.

I took Monday off : )

Haha - You beat me to it - Good Job!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
since everyone else was watching too, use it as an excuse to slack on Monday.

Cali Steel

Poster Extraordinaire !!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.18
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, i guess the more people not working on Sunday thing....
I too shall be a bum on Monday...

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Saturday just wouldn't sound right, don't you agree? Super Sunday is much more poetic. Maybe we'd have to call it Sabado Gigante if it were played on Saturday.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it started this way, but now Saturday and Saturday night are huge for parties.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL plays on Sunday's in order to maximize viewership - More people are 'not working' on Sunday than any other day of the week.

Ehhh, I think more than anything the NFL runs on Sundays to avoid a conflict with College on Saturdays and high school on Fridays. The NFL has a strong showing whenever they broadcast whether it be on Monday, Thursday, Sunday or Saturdays late in the season. And when I say avoiding conflict, the NFL is doing the lower levels a favor. I came across an article of this very nature a few years back probing the league office as to why they didn't have more Saturday games. And the league said it was out of respect for the tradition already in place by the lower levels

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehhh, I think more than anything the NFL runs on Sundays to avoid a conflict with College on Saturdays and high school on Fridays. The NFL has a strong showing whenever they broadcast whether it be on Monday, Thursday, Sunday or Saturdays late in the season. And when I say avoiding conflict, the NFL is doing the lower levels a favor. I came across an article of this very nature a few years back probing the league office as to why they didn't have more Saturday games. And the league said it was out of respect for the tradition already in place by the lower levels

Dre, the question was for the Super Bowl - The rest of what you wrote is spot on.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"NFL plays on Sunday's in order to maximize viewership - More people are 'not working' on Sunday than any other day of the week."

That was your original quotation tag, so I gathered that was a generalization of the NFL as a whole. In reality, the NFL could play the Super bowl any day of the week and I doubt the numbers would decrease by any magnitude of significance, example being with college hosting its title game on a Monday. If the national championship can draw ratings on a Monday, the Superbowl would have no problem on any day of the week. If memory serves me right, ESPN is paying the NFL 1.8 billion for the rights to Monday night football alone, something like 108 million a game for the duration of the contract

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't this just an idea serving as a back-up plan for inclimate weather for next year's Super Bowl?

Yes, I posted this before reading it, my fault. I saw the title on ESPN's NFL page that said the NFL was open to Superbowl Saturday.

But after reading it, I do find it interesting that they would do it earlier, as opposed to later, so I left it. I would think later would be better because then those who purchased the tickets can figure out whether to sell, go, or something else. If it's earlier, that screws with a lot of plans even more, IMO.