• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why go to 2nd for third out???

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...

He was out?

And this may be legit if there were never any errors while throwing to first...
Ask the Yankees TWICE TONIGHT IN THE NINTH ALONE if throwing to second doesn’t have any negative potentialities either.

Y’all will argue status quo irrationally no matter what. It’s sad.

A routine throw to first or all the variables I’ve laid out specifically.

And you just stick to the status quo as if that’s an argument. Sad.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I FUCKING KEEP TELLING YOU FUCKS

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant went to 2nd. Almost cost game.

NLWC18

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I FUCKING KEEP TELLING YOU FUCKS
Please. Keep arguing from status quo.

Parra beats throw to second | 10/03/2018

doesnt-get-a-reply-within-1-minute-me-google-can-you-die-from-lack-of-attention-x-Ab0x2.jpg

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is hard for you to understand, but the right way to do something doesn’t work in all situations. That doesn’t mean it isn’t the right way to do it.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is hard for you to understand, but the right way to do something doesn’t work in all situations. That doesn’t mean it isn’t the right way to do it.
It's ok, he was doing a great job of convincing the only person on here that cares that he is correct.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven’t made an argument why routinely throwing to first isn’t the *right thing to do* rather than trying to lead a running fielder who is trying to move, catch, find the bag, and beat out a sliding runner all at the same time. But I guess you’ll just stand on status quo

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven’t made an argument why routinely throwing to first isn’t the *right thing to do* rather than trying to lead a running fielder who is trying to move, catch, find the bag, and beat out a sliding runner all at the same time. But I guess you’ll just stand on status quo

Do you understand the concept of distance?

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you understand the concept of distance?
Yes. An 18 inch step is THREE TIMES as long as a 6 inch step.

Both are easy for a human to achieve.

Throwing calmly and routinely to first is longer, but easy for an mlb player... much easier than leading a rushing infielder who is trying to hurry, catch, find the bag... all ahead of a runner sliding in

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you understand that one takes longer than the other to accomplish?
Negligible. Add to that the runner on base has an 15 foot secondary lead, runs at the crack of the bat from a ready position, the batter has to unwind from his swing to start running.... it’s not even a contest of timing. If time is the issue, my argument is even more bolstered.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought of this stupid thread while listening to the game the other night.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Negligible. Add to that the runner on base has an 15 foot secondary lead, runs at the crack of the bat from a ready position, the batter has to unwind from his swing to start running.... it’s not even a contest of timing. If time is the issue, my argument is even more bolstered.

You make what seems like a logical argument, but there needs to be more stats to back it up. How many throwing errors are there throwing to second as opposed to throwing to first? Speed of the runners? What % of runners are safe at 2nd vs % of runners safe at first?

I'm not saying your logic is wrong, however these guys have played thousands of games since they were 8-9 years old. The reaction throw to second is what they have been trained to do and it becomes automatic. To train them to throw to first would create thinking instead of reacting.

Train the kids from peewee league on up.

I played the infield through high school, probably 10 years of ball. Even by 10th grade or so, you did your thinking before the pitch and then just reacted.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make what seems like a logical argument, but there needs to be more stats to back it up. How many throwing errors are there throwing to second as opposed to throwing to first? Speed of the runners? What % of runners are safe at 2nd vs % of runners safe at first?

I'm not saying your logic is wrong, however these guys have played thousands of games since they were 8-9 years old. The reaction throw to second is what they have been trained to do and it becomes automatic. To train them to throw to first would create thinking instead of reacting.

Train the kids from peewee league on up.

I played the infield through high school, probably 10 years of ball. Even by 10th grade or so, you did your thinking before the pitch and then just reacted.
It is definitely carried over from when seven year olds have adventures throwing to first. MLBers are not little leaguers. Throwing to first is routine.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is definitely carried over from when seven year olds have adventures throwing to first. MLBers are not little leaguers. Throwing to first is routine.

My point is that throwing to second is just as routine.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing to first isn’t THINKING more than reacting. The throw to second is the one with all the variables.

You just tell yourself, IM GOING TO FIRST before the pitch. It’s all before the play starts.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing to first isn’t THINKING more than reacting. The throw to second is the one with all the variables.

You just tell yourself, IM GOING TO FIRST before the pitch. It’s all before the play starts.

If you are trained well, you never think during play. It is all reaction(in the infield). Or, at least, that is what I was taught.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Prince Fielder is on first and Usain Bolt is at the plate, the throw to first on a routine grounder is ~ALWAYS going to beat the runner MORE than the throw to second.

Add to that all the other factors like having to lead the infielder while he tries to get to the bag, catch, find the bag, etc, it seems to be a no brainer going to first