• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why are the 49ers so eager to add a WR?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers have been connected to DeSean Jackson, Julian Edelman, Hakeem Nicks and Emmanuel Sanders, so why the desperation for another WR?

They locked up Anquan Boldin for a few years who had a good year with 1,179 yards and they will have Michael Crabtree returning who had 1,105 yards in 2012. Not to mention they have another receiving in TE Vernon Davis who is one of the most gifted TEs in the NFL. They already have two top tier WRs, something a lot of teams cannot say, so I don't understand why they are so eager to add another when they have bigger concerns at CB.

No NFL team threw the ball less than the 49ers and they already have two good WRs and one of the better TEs in the NFL, so why are they so eager to add another WR?

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR and CB are both positions of need. Boldin at this point in his career is no longer a true #1. Crabtree is borderline depending who you talk to, but not locked up long term. IMO he will ask too much to resign. CB is easier to hide with a good front seven, which the niners have, than WR. That is apparent by looking at the difference in the teams offense last year once Crabtree came back. I think niners goes CB in the draft with two of their picks in the 1st three rounds. Niners basically need depth at WR to give Kaep more weapons when facing defenses like the Seahawks secondary. That my opinion at least. Plus contacting those guys doesn't hurt to see the price tag. Draft is deep at WR so the FA WR aren't getting the payday they had hoped for. Just glad we didn't sign that cancer Jackson.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As NF52 said, Boldin is still playing great but his age will soon effect his production and Crabs is a UFA after this year IIRC. I also think he will want lots of $ and may have to walk because of that.
With that in mind, SF's #1 and #2 WR may be near the end.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR and CB are both positions of need. Boldin at this point in his career is no longer a true #1. Crabtree is borderline depending who you talk to, but not locked up long term. IMO he will ask too much to resign. CB is easier to hide with a good front seven, which the niners have, than WR. That is apparent by looking at the difference in the teams offense last year once Crabtree came back. I think niners goes CB in the draft with two of their picks in the 1st three rounds. Niners basically need depth at WR to give Kaep more weapons when facing defenses like the Seahawks secondary. That my opinion at least. Plus contacting those guys doesn't hurt to see the price tag. Draft is deep at WR so the FA WR aren't getting the payday they had hoped for. Just glad we didn't sign that cancer Jackson.

I understand the need for depth but it looks like the 49ers were looking to add a 3rd top tier WR. I just believe that Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin are a good starting duo and I don't understand the need to add another guy like DeSean Jackson.

Also from what I have seen of the 49ers offense, they like to keep 2 WRs on the field along with either 2 TEs or 2 FBs, as they are a run first offense, so I don't understand the need for a guy like DeSean Jackson or Julian Edelman as the #3 WR likely wouldn't play many snaps in the 49ers offense.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess u cant have too many weapons. We need size at the WR position.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the need for depth but it looks like the 49ers were looking to add a 3rd top tier WR. I just believe that Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin are a good starting duo and I don't understand the need to add another guy like DeSean Jackson.

Also from what I have seen of the 49ers offense, they like to keep 2 WRs on the field along with either 2 TEs or 2 FBs, as they are a run first offense, so I don't understand the need for a guy like DeSean Jackson or Julian Edelman as the #3 WR likely wouldn't play many snaps in the 49ers offense.

We absolutely are a run first offense. But maybe Harbaugh uses those sets to disguise the weakness after the first two WR's. I'm sure an offensive minded coach like him could find a way to in corporate 3 good WR in an offense. Not to mention Uhsplits point that we will need a WR after this year. You don't always want to wait to grab a #1 WR until that offseason. It will drive up the price of that FA and trying to resign Crabtree if they want to.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Q has never been a #1, and as much as all Ravens fans love the guy, the truth is, he can be great at crucial moments but sometimes disappears in games when you really need him.....#1's seldom ever do that....He is tough as nails and fights to get the ball and has been successful at doing that in many games but because he can't get separation very well, he can be shut down with good coverage....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers dont have a speedy WR that can stretch a defense or that scares anyone. Crabtree is not fast and neither is Boldin

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For once, I actually agree with a Seahawk fan.

I think Crabtree is a legitimate option and Boldin is still going strong. Nobody has mentioned Patton, who I think will be excellent for us sooner rather than later. We certainly could use depth at this position, especially when thinking about the future. But we have bigger concerns at CB right NOW. CB is our biggest need by a mile.

Thankfully, the 49ers haven't made a move on an overpriced WR in free agency. I expect them to trade up in the draft to land a corner who will start for us day 1.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFC West is loaded with top cornerbacks, and it is easily the least deep (shallowest?) offensive position for the team- so why not?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both Crabtree and Boldin start for almost any team in the NFL, and are the number ones for a respectable chunk of them.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both Crabtree and Boldin start for almost any team in the NFL, and are the number ones for a respectable chunk of them.

But Crabtree is a mediocre WR according to Sherman so no way is he a #1

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you want him as your #1 against Sherman?

Not really. There are at least 15 receivers if not more that I would have over him as a #1 at this point. Now I don't think he is as mediocre as Sherman tried to talk about him but there are plenty of other receivers I would have trusted in that NFC Championship game to have put up a better fight for that ball than Crabtree did. I would think actually in the San Fran offense Crabtree would be the 3rd option in such a crucial point as Bolden has shined in those moments and Davis is a red zone nightmare. Especially then throw in having Sherman on him.

Anyway to the actual topic I don't blame San Fran for looking for receivers. The more options you have on offense the harder it is for a defense to game plan and stop you. Plus if you can spread a defense out it can make it easier on the running game having maybe 6 guys in the box instead of 8 most plays. Also makes it easier for the quarterback to read what the defense is trying to do against them. Throw in as some have already mentioned teams shouldn't always wait until they have an obvious hole to try and fix that hole on the team. Getting players earlier gives them a chance to develop so they can step right in with the team barely missing a beat. I would bet money the Broncos draft a WR in this upcoming draft even though most likely they are going to sit on the bench behind D. Thomas, Wes Welker, and Sanders. Thomas and Welker are both FA's next year so it makes sense to give a rookie a year in the offense to get used to what is ahead.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard not pay attention to your rivals roster, but my guess is they address receiver within their 1st two picks. Also with Crabs being a UFA, I am curious what their plans are for him after this year. Obviously he wasnt healthy last year so this year will dictate if he is worth #1 money or not and if the Niner would pay him that. Also curious if they think Patton is a long term option there as he showed a little promise late in the year. I wish the Hawks would have taken him instead of Chris Harper last year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard not pay attention to your rivals roster, but my guess is they address receiver within their 1st two picks. Also with Crabs being a UFA, I am curious what their plans are for him after this year. Obviously he wasnt healthy last year so this year will dictate if he is worth #1 money or not and if the Niner would pay him that. Also curious if they think Patton is a long term option there as he showed a little promise late in the year. I wish the Hawks would have taken him instead of Chris Harper last year.

From what I have read recently, the 49ers are a little disappointed with Patton up to this point. They thought he should be farther along. There is not alot of about this as the 49ers are very tight lipped about these things. Old School's comments about Boldin are pretty much spot on. And in regards to the OPs comments, the 49ers are looking for speed at WR as the team doesn't have any speed at WR. Crabtree is a good WR but does not have the speed to stretch defensss and is not a great deep threat. And Patton is not a speed guy either. They were hoping to get that with Jenkins but Jenkins turned out to be a bust, especially the way he was used.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is more about testing the market I think. In no way were the 9ers going to give up what another team is willing to pay. The 9ers need to know how much Crabs will be worth if he can stay healthy and has a good season comparable to the recent FA market. The 9ers currently don't have a solid #3. I'm hoping Patton is healthy and can perform like I think he can, but there is still a ? mark on him and that might be a reason for a FA WR search. The last reason would be the simple fact that the 9ers always seem to be injured at that position.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is more about testing the market I think. In no way were the 9ers going to give up what another team is willing to pay. The 9ers need to know how much Crabs will be worth if he can stay healthy and has a good season comparable to the recent FA market. The 9ers currently don't have a solid #3. I'm hoping Patton is healthy and can perform like I think he can, but there is still a ? mark on him and that might be a reason for a FA WR search. The last reason would be the simple fact that the 9ers always seem to be injured at that position.

Agreed.

They're only exploring their options, but making sure they fit their budget. The Seahawks are similar, they explore every single option but it has to be at the right price. I'm sure they were also interested in the free agent DBs this year but their financial situation kept the interests more tempered than their interests in WRs because of the difference in premiums of the positions.