• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will texas maybe Get in a Trade?

: Your picks?

• Josh Johnson

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Cliff Lee

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Zack Greinke

• Cole Hamels

• Matt Garza

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non of the above

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said lets not do anything. I've pushed hard for cliff lee. There's no sense in making a lateral move though and you seem to think a lateral move is better than no move at all.

again, i don't want to make a move just to make a move. is James Shields or Josh Johnson better than Holland, Darvish or Harrison? not in my view. are they on the same level as our 3? i think they are or maybe slightly better. so they would be a lateral move in respect to them but they are way better than what we can put out there as our 4th and 5th starters right now. would either of them make us better than we are now? i think they would and then Oswalt or Feldman could handle the 5th spot.

i would rather see us get Lee too but at what cost? how many prospects do we give up to get him?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought hard about Cliff Lee, and that contract length and amount are just a deal-breaker for me,

I don't even care that we almost signed him a couple years ago, we've moved on

he's 34 years old and owed nearly 75M for the 2013-2015 seasons with a team option 2016 season at 27.5M or a 12.5M buyout. and he's 1-6 this year.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's 34 years old and owed nearly 75M for the 2013-2015 seasons with a team option 2016 season at 27.5M or a 12.5M buyout. and he's 1-6 this year.

Actually he's 33 as of right now, about to turn 34

But I agree with what you say, thats why I said his contract was a deal breaker

but even you should know better than to only look at a pitcher's record

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually he's 33 as of right now, about to turn 34

But I agree with what you say, thats why I said his contract was a deal breaker

but even you should know better than to only look at a pitcher's record

only pointing out that there's that to look at 2.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, i don't want to make a move just to make a move. is James Shields or Josh Johnson better than Holland, Darvish or Harrison? not in my view. are they on the same level as our 3? i think they are or maybe slightly better. so they would be a lateral move in respect to them but they are way better than what we can put out there as our 4th and 5th starters right now. would either of them make us better than we are now? i think they would and then Oswalt or Feldman could handle the 5th spot.

i would rather see us get Lee too but at what cost? how many prospects do we give up to get him?

I think Josh Johnson is hands down better than James Shields

Only question with Johnson is health, but he's been healthy this year and working his way back from the last injury, hence the "weak" looking numbers

But b/c of those concerns he's going to be cheaper than just about anyone else AND he's not just a rental, he's signed for an additional season after next

B/c of the cheaper prospect cost and reasonable contract and length, he seems to me to be the best bet

Olt + Borbon and maybe another piece might just get that done

Sucks to lose Olt, but he's blocked at the ML level (his value lies in playing a good 3B, not 1B), we have quality prospects at 3B, the Marlins have a HUGE need for a quality 3B prospect, and personally I think he's just Chris Davis 2.0 with that hole in his swing

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trading to acquire anyone but a solid experienced TORP is a lateral move and is a waste of time.

Much lower risk and reward might result from putting Ogando back in the rotation ... and Feliz backfilling him in the bullpen.

That doesn't cost a single prospect.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Josh Johnson is hands down better than James Shields

Only question with Johnson is health, but he's been healthy and working his way back from the last injury, hence the "weak" looking numbers

But b/c of those concerns he's going to be cheaper than just about anyone else AND he's not just a rental, he's signed for an additional season after next

B/c of the cheaper prospect cost and reasonable contract and length, he seems to me to be the best bet

Olt + Borbon and maybe another piece might just get that done

Sucks to lose Olt, but he's blocked at the ML level (his value lies in playing a good 3B, not 1B), we have quality prospects at 3B, the Marlins have a HUGE need for a quality 3B prospect, and personally I think he's just Chris Davis 2.0 with that hole in his swing

you are probably right but the health issues are a major concern

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading to acquire anyone but a solid experienced TORP is a lateral move and is a waste of time.

Much lower risk and reward might result from putting Ogando back in the rotation ... and Feliz backfilling him in the bullpen.

That doesn't cost a single prospect.

I've suggested this as an option if a reasonable deal can't be made for what we need

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are probably right but the health issues are a major concern

3 factors

1) He's healthy now

2) His history drives the cost down

3) Only obligated to him through next year, so the danger of an injury is minimized

If this is truly about this year, then thats all you care about when it comes to Josh Johnson, after next year you're done with him, the cost for a real rental like Greinke (see Cliff Lee 2010) would be just as high, with Johnson you at least get added bonus of an extra season

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 factors

1) He's healthy now

2) His history drives the cost down

3) Only obligated to him through next year, so the danger of an injury is minimized

If this is truly about this year, then thats all you care about when it comes to Josh Johnson, after next year you're done with him, the cost for a real rental like Greinke (see Cliff Lee 2010) would be just as high, with Johnson you at least get added bonus of an extra season

The Marlins are seeking a Mark Teixeira-like package for Johnson, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. Miami seeks at least three good young pieces for Johnson, Heyman writes. The Rangers, of course, obtained Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia when they traded Teixeira five years ago.

are you willing to give up that many top prospects for him?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Marlins are seeking a Mark Teixeira-like package for Johnson, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. Miami seeks at least three good young pieces for Johnson, Heyman writes. The Rangers, of course, obtained Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia when they traded Teixeira five years ago.

:pound:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's no way they get that for him, especially after they've made themselves appear deperate and dumped Hanley Ramirez for peanuts plus Johnson's history

I contend that they could acquire Olt + Borbon/Engel Beltre + Justin Grimm

but thats about as high as I go

You read these blogs too much Scotty, Jon Heyman is an idiot, much on the level of Jim Bowden, only Bowden has a much bigger stage to spew his nonsense

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Article... Marlins seeking substantial return for Johnson, won't trade Reyes or Buehrle - CBSSports.com

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to Acquire Josh Johnson but for a Limited Package. My Thinking is along the the Lines with jta4437.

i agree with jta too on what i would offer i was just pointing out what some reports are saying they want.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way they get that for him, especially after they've made themselves appear deperate and dumped Hanley Ramirez for peanuts plus Johnson's history

I contend that they could acquire Olt + Borbon/Engel Beltre + Justin Grimm

but thats about as high as I go

You read these blogs too much Scotty, Jon Heyman is an idiot, much on the level of Jim Bowden, only Bowden has a much bigger stage to spew his nonsense

if you don't read the "blogs" or sites like mlbtraderumors, then how do you find out what's going on?