• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the best team in 1997/Nebraska or Michigan/Discuss

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most important for Nebraska that year: They didn't have to play Daddy

:comeatmebro:

This is a Nebraska Michigan thread. Comparisons against a 4-7 team would be unfair.

:exes:

If there is a Texas Nebraska GAME thread, I would never post in it. Bragging about one win ain't impressive.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a Nebraska Michigan thread. Comparisons against a 4-7 team would be unfair.

:exes:

If there is a Texas Nebraska GAME thread, I would never post in it. Bragging about one win ain't impressive.

Ahh, but that 4-7 team would have prevented the Huskers to play for a NC......

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan should have been the only #1 team in ''97''

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Michigan should have been the sole #1 team, because I see things in a slanted way. I will not debate it, that question is best left on the playing field ... Thank God for playoffs. It is nice to see so many consumed with Michigan these days. Does this mean we are back????

Reactions: BUD

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here you go for giggles

A michigan board trying to win an internet poll against Nebraska fans on ESPN vote in 2012.

1997 Michigan vs. 1997 Nebraska Poll | mgoblog

My favorite is post #34

writer: MaizeNBlueAboveALL

proposterous
This is a ridiculous poll and just reflects other programs fans are bias against us. Everyone loves to hate Michigan. Look at ESPN, they seem to hate UofM and love when they dont succeed. It does not matter what the rest of the fan bases believe. We won the National Championship and had to split it because a bunch of loser coaches didnt know their A++holes from a hole in the ground. The common opponent and schedule says enough to me. It should be overturned and their share of our EARNED NC should be restored to it's rightful owners, US! GO BLUE!

end of post
---------------------------

PS. Nebraska also beat Michigan in Lincoln in 2012, 23-9.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was pretty funny. GO BLUE!

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On paper, the Huskers were better. But if they played straight up? Anything can happen on any given day. Sadly, we'll never get to see.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On paper, the Huskers were better. But if they played straight up? Anything can happen on any given day. Sadly, we'll never get to see.
By what measure? Statistically the teams were very similar, if I remember correctly the last time I looked this up -- the only thing Nebraska was significantly better at was rushing the ball. Michigan was pretty much even passing/rushing and Nebraska was heavy on the rush. Both defenses were ridiculous. The only reason Nebraska won the title was 1. a fluke play and 2. a pre-season ranking higher than Michigan's. The fact that Michigan was able to jump Nebraska in the AP poll should be telling.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By what measure? Statistically the teams were very similar, if I remember correctly the last time I looked this up -- the only thing Nebraska was significantly better at was rushing the ball. Michigan was pretty much even passing/rushing and Nebraska was heavy on the rush. Both defenses were ridiculous. The only reason Nebraska won the title was 1. a fluke play and 2. a pre-season ranking higher than Michigan's. The fact that Michigan was able to jump Nebraska in the AP poll should be telling.

Where does strength of schedule factor in?

OK, please explain this

In the FINAL AP poll only three Michigan opponents finished ranked in the Top 25. All three of those opponents lost decisively in their bowl games.

In the final AP poll, five of Nebraska's opponents were in the AP poll and two of them won their bowl games. One of the opponents pounded Michigan State.

I will just assume my previous posts were too long for you to read since they were ALL ABOUT STATISTICS.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here are some more stats since the claim that the #1 defense is uber, using the bowl appearing teams

Michigan gave up 24 points to Iowa, Iowa scored 7 against AZ STATE #34 defense. IOWA LOST

Michigan gave up 14 points to Ohio State, Ohio State scored 14 against FL STATE #3 defense. OHIO STATE LOST

Michigan gave up 7 points to Michigan State, Michigan State scored 23 against WASHINGTON #36 defense. Michigan State LOST.

Michigan gave up 14 points to Notre Dame, Notre Dame scored 9 against LSU #42 defense. Notre Dame lost.

Michigan gave up 16 points to Wisconsin, Wisconsin scored 6 against Georgia #40 defense. Wisconsin lost.

Michigan gave up 8 points to Penn State, Penn State scored 6 against Florida #12 defense. Penn State lost.

In four games a lower rated defense, #12, #34, #40, #42 ranked defenses held the same Michigan opponent to fewer points.

In one game, a lower rated defense #3, held a Michigan opponent to the same points.

In one game, a lower rated defense #36, gave up more points. But that game ended up being 51-23 and Michigan State had the #13 rated defense.

The #1 rated Michigan defense gave up 83 points to bowl opponents. These same bowl opponents scored 65 points against lower rated defenses. Four of those defenses rated #34 or lower.

Nebraska played #4 total defense K State, scored 56. K State won their bowl game.
Nebraska played #19 total defense Texas A&M, scored 54.
Nebraska played #22 total defense Texas Tech, scored 29, final score 29-0.
Nebraska played the #32 total defense Tennessee, scored 42.
Nebraska played #36 total defense Washington, scored 27. Washington won their bowl over Michigan State.

Nebraska opponent Kansas State played #11 total defense Syracuse, won 35-18 in the bowl game.
Nebraska opponent Washington played #13 total defense Michigan State, won 51-23 in the bowl game.

Nebraska's bowl opponents scored 133 total points and won 2 bowl games.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some more stats since the claim that the #1 defense is uber, using the bowl appearing teams

Michigan gave up 24 points to Iowa, Iowa scored 7 against AZ STATE #34 defense. IOWA LOST

Michigan gave up 14 points to Ohio State, Ohio State scored 14 against FL STATE #3 defense. OHIO STATE LOST

Michigan gave up 7 points to Michigan State, Michigan State scored 23 against WASHINGTON #36 defense. Michigan State LOST.

Michigan gave up 14 points to Notre Dame, Notre Dame scored 9 against LSU #42 defense. Notre Dame lost.

Michigan gave up 16 points to Wisconsin, Wisconsin scored 6 against Georgia #40 defense. Wisconsin lost.

Michigan gave up 8 points to Penn State, Penn State scored 6 against Florida #12 defense. Penn State lost.

In four games a lower rated defense, #12, #34, #40, #42 ranked defenses held the same Michigan opponent to fewer points.

In one game, a lower rated defense #3, held a Michigan opponent to the same points.

In one game, a lower rated defense #36, gave up more points. But that game ended up being 51-23 and Michigan State had the #13 rated defense.

The #1 rated Michigan defense gave up 83 points to bowl opponents. These same bowl opponents scored 65 points against lower rated defenses. Four of those defenses rated #34 or lower.

Nebraska played #4 total defense K State, scored 56. K State won their bowl game.
Nebraska played #19 total defense Texas A&M, scored 54.
Nebraska played #22 total defense Texas Tech, scored 29, final score 29-0.
Nebraska played the #32 total defense Tennessee, scored 42.
Nebraska played #36 total defense Washington, scored 27. Washington won their bowl over Michigan State.

Nebraska opponent Kansas State played #11 total defense Syracuse, won 35-18 in the bowl game.
Nebraska opponent Washington played #13 total defense Michigan State, won 51-23 in the bowl game.

Nebraska's bowl opponents scored 133 total points and won 2 bowl games.

truth-bomb.gif

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does strength of schedule factor in?

OK, please explain this

In the FINAL AP poll only three Michigan opponents finished ranked in the Top 25. All three of those opponents lost decisively in their bowl games.

In the final AP poll, five of Nebraska's opponents were in the AP poll and two of them won their bowl games. One of the opponents pounded Michigan State.

I will just assume my previous posts were too long for you to read since they were ALL ABOUT STATISTICS.
I didn't see your additional posts, so I didn't even know it was brought up. But I looked it up:

Tennessee #7
Kansas State #8
Washington #18
Texas A&M #20
Missouri #23

Washington St. #9
OSU #12
Penn State #16

I'm not sure beating teams at the bottom of the rankings is really any more significant than beating 8-5 Wisconsin, or 7-5 MSU which had just dropped out in the final rankings. The difference between a 7-5 MSU and a 7-5 Missouri is minimal. If Michigan had faced 7-5 Missouri, do you think we were losing that game?

And despite you trying to qualify the statistics, Michigan was the much better defense and Nebraska was the much better offense -- despite what may have happened in any one game. So it would have been an interesting match up, but certainly not as clear cut as you, and others, are trying to suggest.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The #2 offense had nearly 400 yards on that#1 defense and had the lead twice in the game. If Washington State had a defense Washington State would have won the game

Nebraska's #5 defense shutdown the #4 offense. The #5 defense would have had little problem against the #44 offense. It can be argued, that if Nebraska played their starters in the 4th quarter during the entire season, there might have been a different #1 defense.

Nebraska put 56 points on the K State defense. K state won their bowl game 35-17.
Nebraska beat Washington in Seattle, the same Washington team that beat Michigan State 51-23

Michigan beat Ohio State, Ohio State lost their bowl game 31-14
Michigan beat Iowa, Iowa lost their bowl game 17-7
Michigan beat Michigan State, Michigan State lost their bowl game in a close one 51-23
Michigan beat Notre Dame, Notre Dame lost their bowl game 27-9
Michigan beat Penn State, Penn State lost their bowl game 21-6
Michigan beat Wisconsin, Wisconsin lost their bowl game 33-6

Looks like the Michigan opponents were getting soundly beaten by other defenses. makes you go hmmmmm.....

Matter of fact, all of Michigan's opponents that went to a bowl game, LOST. Average score was 30 - 10.8.
Sounds good. But what Michigan didn't need......a fluke play to force OT against a 7-5 team.

Defense wins championships.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're really trying to use the transient property to your advantage. I'm sure one could come up with a bunch of situations where Nebraska failed to perform well in one statistic or another to a lower ranked team. For example, needing a fluke once in a lifetime play to force an OT win against a 7-5 team. What we've seen time and time again in CFB is that just because Michigan dominated Florida and Alabama struggled with Florida, that doesn't mean Michigan was better than the national title winning Alabama.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Nebraska played 1 additional game that Michigan didn't have to.

Let's all be honest with ourselves. Nebraska was named co-champs because Osborne was retiring and the coaches gave him a going away present.
:)