• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who should the Texans pick #1 overall?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget about who they will pick, but about who you think the Texans should draft #1 overall.

The popular choices for this pick, seem to be:

Jadeveon Clowney - #1 consensus player according to all the media big boards. Gets praised for his on-the-field production and physical skill-sets.

Blake Bortles - Big Ben-like quarterback with a knack for being clutch in big games.

Khalil Mack - The highest rated LB in this year's draft. Small school kid, but with big time production and physical skill-sets.

Greg Robinson and Jake Matthews - The top 2 highest rated tackles.

Johnny Manziel - An exciting and unconventional QB. He's the #1 player mentioned in this year's draft.

Sammy Watkins - Highest rated WR in this year's draft.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Clowney. Rounding out that DL will be pay dividends immediately.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney.

But I think drafting a guy like Watkins would be a good choice as well. Johnson cant last forever.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, they need a QB in a very bad way, more so than a DE.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True. Clowney's production dipped last season, and there's question marks about his work ethic. Bortles fulfills their biggest hole (Now that Schaub is gone) and has the biggest upside out of the big 3 QBs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the GM of the Texans looking at the DIV picture. Facing Luck twice a yr for probably 8 or more yrs, I would take Bortles. Then set my sites on Allen Robinson, Donte Moncrief, Jordan Matthews, etc. at the top of the 2nd.

I can't say I know how much difference there is, or how much scar tissue remains, but if I thought I could get Carr at the top of the 2nd, I would go Watkins #1. 2014 won't be the year to contend, but 2015, '16 and beyond if the QB develops they would be playoff contenders every year.

Clowney...obviously he's saying all the right things pre-draft. I for one really don't blame the guy for protecting his future, but those are legit knocks on his work ethic and I'm not sure you can flip the switch and be a high motor guy in the NFL. He's such a talent, he will be an impact player, but may not be that beast.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney would be a great luxury pick for the Texans but they need a QB unless they want to field Fitzpatrick who is 31-32 anyway and didn't really do too much at Buffalo outside of the one year before his contract.

I don't like any of the QBs #1 overall but it just makes the most sense for the Texans. They already have arguably the best DE in the league so dunno why you're working on getting another one when you have a HUGE gaping hole at QB.

I guess they could draft Clowney and hope Carr slides to them or slightly trade up back into the 1st and go for him. That's an option too.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney.

All the QBs at one blow. Need is important but when you can easily fill the position as well with your second rounder, it's foolish to reach for a bad option.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah clowney would be my choice. The difference between a guy like bortles compared to carr isn't a whole lot. Clowney can be that huge game changer in this league especially next to watt. Use that 2nd on a quarterback and hope he develops

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney but I dont think picking a Rd2 QB is the answer for Houston. They are just going to suck for another year

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Having Clowney would ease the pressure on whatever QB the Texans draft later on. None of the QBs are worth the #1 pick IMO. I would even go Watkins in the 1st and QB in the 2nd.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah clowney would be my choice. The difference between a guy like bortles compared to carr isn't a whole lot. Clowney can be that huge game changer in this league especially next to watt. Use that 2nd on a quarterback and hope he develops

I beg to differ. Bortles is a much better prospect. He ran a pro-style offense in college, has a better skill set, and showed up big time in big games.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney but I dont think picking a Rd2 QB is the answer for Houston. They are just going to suck for another year

Clowney coming in being 2nd fiddle to Watt...idk...could be wrong, but I don't see Clowney being dominant playing in his shadow. I agree this crop of QBs are not in the Luck, RG3 category but I think the way the rookie money is now, where you take a player doesn't matter quite as much as it used to...if the player is top 10 talent wise, you need that position and you're picking 1st, 2nd or 9th...I think you take him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney coming in being 2nd fiddle to Watt...idk...could be wrong, but I don't see Clowney being dominant playing in his shadow. I agree this crop of QBs are not in the Luck, RG3 category but I think the way the rookie money is now, where you take a player doesn't matter quite as much as it used to...if the player is top 10 talent wise, you need that position and you're picking 1st, 2nd or 9th...I think you take him.
This is Bradford vs Suh all over again. I dont think there is a right answer

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Matt Milan is that you? Project WRs shouldn't go #1

I didn't make such a blanket statement as you are insinuating. Just saying I'd rather have Watkins over a QB for the 1st pick. I said Clowney > Watkins > QB in case you couldn't figure it out.

And it's Millen by the way.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's true but Clowney could be a once in a generation type player and there are no real stand out QB's in this draft.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney.

First, he's going to pay off straight away.

Second, with the QB depth in this draft one is likely to fall to them with their second pick.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There isn't any QB worth being drafted top half do the first round, let alone top ten, let alone number one.

You don't pass up superstar talent with astronomical potential for mediocre talent with mediocre potential.