• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who should the Texans pick #1 overall?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't remember a DT since Suh ever being hyped as much. DE Peppers is the only thing that comes to mind... but DT? Hyped/projected? Just don't remember one.

You think Suh is overhyped? I don't. I actually think Peppers was UNDERhyped.

And I think Bradford is captain check down & Alex Smith 2.0 & isn't even that valuable. He just happened to have been in possibly the worst QB draft class of this generation (although 2007 may have been worse).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Suh is overhyped? I don't. I actually think Peppers was UNDERhyped.

And I think Bradford is captain check down & Alex Smith 2.0 & isn't even that valuable. He just happened to have been in possibly the worst QB draft class of this generation (although 2007 may have been worse).

Where in the heck did I say Suh is over hyped? I don't remember a DT being AS hyped, Suh has certainly lived up to it, any team would love to have him.

I seem to recall various DEs over the year being hyped quite a bit, but Suh was in a different category as a DT... Clowney doesn't play DT, he plays DE and he's been widely compared to Peppers in terms of work ethic.

To me Suh was a more sure fire "WTF ABOUT TO OWN!" pick than Clowney is positions considered. That's the only point I'm trying to make. Clowney has all the rare/elite physical tools with a question around work ethic (same as Peppers). Suh had all the rare/elite physical tools without the question around work ethic. Point being, if Suh had busted OMFG. It would've been huge. If Clowney busts, yah it'll be big but people will attribute it to work ethic and it'll get more readily dismissed than Suh.

As to Bradford, 1) Rams took a risk on him hoping he could live up to his early season QB hype, 2) Bradford has not had any reliable sense of an offense at the O-Line, WR, and I bet to say running game (Jackson was wearing down) since he got there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And can you imagine Suh, Quinn, Long on the same line? OMFG. And with a chance to draft Clowney? LMAO, that would've been the most op'd front 4 to grace the field all time (whether or not Clowney worked out).

Safe to say Wilson/Kaep wouldn't have stood a chance.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
And can you imagine Suh, Quinn, Long on the same line? OMFG. And with a chance to draft Clowney? LMAO, that would've been the most op'd front 4 to grace the field all time (whether or not Clowney worked out).

Safe to say Wilson/Kaep wouldn't have stood a chance.

Glad they made that mistake.

I'm a little scared of the thought of Watt & Clowney on the same defense though. Add a great CB to that mix and that could be the makings of an offense-killing machine.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney, and it's not even close. Clowney has the potential to be the greatest DE of all time. Sure he could be a bust. Any of these guys could be. But a guy THAT BIG that can run THAT FAST, heck if he don't work out at DE put him at wide receiver, lol.

But seriously, all three QBs are not true number 1s so even though the Texans desperately need a QB the lack of separation from the first round QBs to the second QBs is not enough to pass on what could be a once-every-20-years pick.

Just on position alone Bortles is close.

Does Mario ring a bell? The last can't miss edge rusher. He's been a very good player, but how much impact did he really have in HOU or now in BUF?

I agree with you on the QBs, don't know how much separation there is from the #1 guy to the #4 guy.
I might be inclined to take Clowney if I thought the 3rd or 4th QB would be on the board at the top of the 2nd rd. But, I don't know that to be the case, and because DE is not a big need and QB is, I would take the #1 rated player at the need position.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, cause the Lions have gotten really far and their offensive weapons have been better than the Rams. The Texans are in a position between a defensive player that wont win them playoff games and QB prospects that probably wont win them playoff games. There is no definitive right answer.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, cause the Lions have gotten really far and their offensive weapons have been better than the Rams. The Texans are in a position between a defensive player that wont win them playoff games and QB prospects that probably wont win them playoff games. There is no definitive right answer.

Good point...I guess I look at it like this, the perennial non-playoff teams for the last decade for the most part all share the same problem...OAK, CLE, JAX, BUF, TN...lack of performance or no stability at the QB position. You can build up a championship caliber DEF (BAL, SF, SEA) and still win in the playoffs, but you have to find a trigger man somehow.

fearthepelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should take Clowney just so the Falcons won't get him.

melmaan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't pass on Clowney
Clowney #1 ... a QB w/ #33 or trade #33 for Ryan Mallett
They would contend Year #1

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already had the top 2 defensive player last year and a legit #1 WR in Andre Johnson. The only way they are contending is with a QB who doesn't throw pick 6s every 5 minutes.

Best case scenario if you're taking Clowney would be taking Winston or Mariotta next year much like the best case scenario for the Rams if they took Suh was taking Newton or RG3 instead of trying to make Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow work.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mallet's going nowhere. We turn that down...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallet's going nowhere. We turn that down...
Thats nuts, imo. Mallett hasn't proven a thing. If you get #33 for a backup QB, laugh your way to the podium

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A backup QB is more valuable than many starters. Mallet stays.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on now. BB & the pats have always been able to find a back up that works in their system.
If someone was foolish enough to send the #33 pick in the draft for Mallet, the pats would jump on that, & the GM from the other team would probably be fired the next year.

You act as if Mallet would be irreplaceable by the pats. maybe if you were grooming him to be a starter but that isnt happening.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is not an option that we could make acquire that this coming year would put us in better shape to keep a playoff berth if Brady was out short term than Mallett.

That alone is worth turning down the trade.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe he's a proven commodity, those other "many starters" just suck, and you have an injury prone starting QB, but outside of that perfect storm...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The position itself is more important than many starting ones. I'm not talking particular guys. Backup QB is more important than many the position of many starters.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The position itself is more important than many starting ones. I'm not talking particular guys. Backup QB is more important than many the position of many starters.

Sure a good backup is a nice insurance policy, but :lol: at you thinking Mallet is all that good. Funny how you poo poo 90% of starting Qbs but the Pats backup who has barely seen any playing time is worth more then a starter. I hope you get see him start for the Pats so I can point out that he isn't all that.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking the position itself. A poor backup QB can derail a season more easily than any other poor depth.

There is no option available to New England that would not provide a significant dropoff from Mallett. He has the skill set and knows the offense. A rookie even second rounder would have little to no chance of being ready to play in an emergency, and there are not any veterans available worth grabbing either.

I'm not saying that anyone should offer what it would take for me to give him up. They probably shouldn't. I am saying entering the season with an unknown quantity at one of the most important positions on your roster is not acceptable. Every year with Brady needs to be focused on putting the team in position to contend as completely as possible. We're already in good shape for the future, and mortgaging the now by putting a question mark at such a crucial position is not an option.