• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who should the Texans pick #1 overall?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking the position itself. A poor backup QB can derail a season more easily than any other poor depth.

There is no option available to New England that would not provide a significant dropoff from Mallett. He has the skill set and knows the offense. A rookie even second rounder would have little to no chance of being ready to play in an emergency, and there are not any veterans available worth grabbing either.

I'm not saying that anyone should offer what it would take for me to give him up. They probably shouldn't. I am saying entering the season with an unknown quantity at one of the most important positions on your roster is not acceptable. Every year with Brady needs to be focused on putting the team in position to contend as completely as possible. We're already in good shape for the future, and mortgaging the now by putting a question mark at such a crucial position is not an option.

You must really be worried about Brady holding up health wise. Frankly most teams bank on the starter holding up, and it is usually not pretty when you have to go to a backup QB.only the strongest teams can survive that, if any.
Your putting to much value in the backup QB. If the starter goes down your not winning the Super Bowl anyways. Better to take your lumps and have better draft position IMO.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not "worried" about Brady, but shit happens. Anyone can go down.

No other position will derail your season near as quickly. You likely won't win a Super Bowl if you lose the starter for the season, but what if they'll be healthy again by the playoffs? What if it's just a few weeks? Continuity at the position is important to keep your team in the running.

Deciding that if you lose your QB you're tanking isn't acceptable. You put yourself in a position to stay in contention. Every extra playoff game of experience to a team as young as New England is as valuable as a couple spots worth of draft position. Simply making the playoffs makes your team better.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not "worried" about Brady, but shit happens. Anyone can go down.

No other position will derail your season near as quickly. You likely won't win a Super Bowl if you lose the starter for the season, but what if they'll be healthy again by the playoffs? What if it's just a few weeks? Continuity at the position is important to keep your team in the running.

Deciding that if you lose your QB you're tanking isn't acceptable. You put yourself in a position to stay in contention. Every extra playoff game of experience to a team as young as New England is as valuable as a couple spots worth of draft position. Simply making the playoffs makes your team better.

I think if it comes about that Mallet has to start 4 or 5 games, you'll change your option of him in a hurry.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is undeniably better than any other option we have. It's not close.

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Mallet is worth a 2nd round pick studying under Brady is a unique experience and if i were the Patriots I would not be eager to take that trade.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is undeniably better than any other option we have. It's not close.

I agree he is the best option, I just don't think he's a good option. You know how you feel about Johnny football? That is how I feel about Mallet.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallett has the physical tools though. He has a strong arm. He's not the most accurate ever but he's still more accurate than Manziel. I don't know where his mental game is, but he has been in the system for a good period now, has had time to learn from the best in the game, and has caused no issues. That is enough to be by far the best option we have unless he's completely football retarded and doesn't know the play book. Since we turned down a second last year, I don't think it is likely that that is the case.

My sole issue with Johnny Manziel is that nothing about his skill set is NFL good. You can't be even a mediocre option without the tools. Mallett has them; the biggest question is whether he can use them. He could be the next cutler and be baffled by the other team's base defense, but physically he's there.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallett has the physical tools though. He has a strong arm. He's not the most accurate ever but he's still more accurate than Manziel. I don't know where his mental game is, but he has been in the system for a good period now, has had time to learn from the best in the game, and has caused no issues. That is enough to be by far the best option we have unless he's completely football retarded and doesn't know the play book. Since we turned down a second last year, I don't think it is likely that that is the case.

My sole issue with Johnny Manziel is that nothing about his skill set is NFL good. You can't be even a mediocre option without the tools. Mallett has them; the biggest question is whether he can use them. He could be the next cutler and be baffled by the other team's base defense, but physically he's there.

He has a strong arm...that is it. You really over rate that asset and over look other assets, like football smarts, leadership, poise, player maker, mobilitity. Mallet has none of these assets.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft the best player available, which in this case everything points to Clowney.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft the best player available, which in this case everything points to Clowney.

I agree although I don't feel Clowney is a slam dunk to

equal what he did in college.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't overrate arm strength, else I wouldn't have put cutler as an example of a joke of a QB.

He has decent accuracy and a strong arm. Mobility is overrated. If you can make all the throws, you have the physical tools to be the best ever. Mallett can make a high percentage of them.

All the mental things are important; extremely so. But we can't know until he sees the field. He is in a hell of a system to develop them, though. He sits in hours of film and QB meetings with Brady a week, and you have to believe that simply by still being on the roster, he is working hard at improving them. Bill doesn't accept anything less. If Mallett has even picked up even 10% of what Brady knows, he is easily a starting caliber QB.

I don't know where he is mentally, but the fact that he's still around is a sign that he has a reasonable understanding of the game and is working to improve. Uncoachable guys simply don't make it in this locker room.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't overrate arm strength, else I wouldn't have put cutler as an example of a joke of a QB.

He has decent accuracy and a strong arm. Mobility is overrated. If you can make all the throws, you have the physical tools to be the best ever. Mallett can make a high percentage of them.

All the mental things are important; extremely so. But we can't know until he sees the field. He is in a hell of a system to develop them, though. He sits in hours of film and QB meetings with Brady a week, and you have to believe that simply by still being on the roster, he is working hard at improving them. Bill doesn't accept anything less. If Mallett has even picked up even 10% of what Brady knows, he is easily a starting caliber QB.

Take the draft choice, the Pats will regret it if they don't. Keep looking for the next good thing. As long as Brady has good health, we'll never know, but I"m looking forward to seeing Mallet start for the Pats and not because I root for them.

I don't know where he is mentally, but the fact that he's still around is a sign that he has a reasonable understanding of the game and is working to improve. Uncoachable guys simply don't make it in this locker room.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mallet start and not because I'm a fan of the Patriots. Time will tell I guess.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will, absolutely.

But simply on his physical tools and the value of the position I turn down 33. If Brady missed 8 games and he could go 4-4, that might be the difference between a 4 seed and missing the playoffs. I don't need eliteness. I just need the best we have available there for if we need him.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think me and JDM agree that Pats should trade Brady and Mallet to the Texans for the first pick so we could draft Manziel

melmaan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Belicheck has used 6 or 7 of 40 player visits on QB's this month
2. Ryan Mallett is a free agent after this season ... if he wants to ever see the field he signs elsewhere.
3. Do the Pats just let him walk - or trade him on Draft Day and draft another understudy?

Mallett for an early 2nd rd pick? The 1st 7 2nd rd teams all need QB's

I'd draft an A.J. McCarron w/ a 3rd and perhaps sign a 3rd (veteran) for Camp

AND Mallett's current contract is likely less than a 2nd rd choice would get.
AND it's just 1 year, If he tanks = no franchise killing loss.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Ryan Mallett is a free agent after this season ... if he wants to ever see the field he signs elsewhere.
3. Do the Pats just let him walk - or trade him on Draft Day and draft another understudy?

A.J works if he fiancee comes to Gillette. Im sick of seeing Wilforks wife

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree although I don't feel Clowney is a slam dunk to

equal what he did in college.

Clowney...imo, the hype has really set him up to fail because he can't just a good football player. If he's not the second coming of Reggie White he's going to be considered a bust by some people. Totally unfair to him, but that's the reality of it.

Manziel...I'm more in line with JDM. What I saw as a very good college player, running around making plays running and passing, up tempo OFC...I just don't see that game working in the NFL...not beyond one season. Can he become a good NFL starter? Maybe, but a team taking him in the top 10 and throwing him out to the wolves imo will have a one contract QB.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Mallet is any better than these rookies just because he's been watching Brady, but he does have an NFL arm, and size. I think Mallet makes sense for a few teams...if the QBs come off the board early you have basically 4 QBs in this draft that will get a chance to start next year...but you have 6 or 7 teams that really need to upgrade the position.

melmaan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Pats fan i'm hoping Mallett is "Cashed-In" for a a player such as Ryan Shazier or Hageman or even a WR that slips into the early/mid 2nd rd. Trade im (Mallett) before he walks as a free-agent and start over w/ another D-Pick