• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who should the Texans pick #1 overall?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Texans trade back the #1. If they had to pick I would say QB is the top need and I would pick Bortles.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't pass up superstar talent with astronomical potential for mediocre talent with mediocre potential.
Darren McFadden and Aaron Curry are happy when people draft purely based on potential and talent.

Clowney can bust and I can count the ways. He is more likely to be a star than Bortles, though. I just know that you can't win in the NFL without a top 15 QB.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well according to Johnny Manziel... “It would be the worst decision they’ve ever made,” if the Texans didn't draft him at #1 overall.

“I want everybody from the janitor at Reliant Stadium to the front office executive assistant all the way up to (owner) Bob McNair to say, ‘This kid is 100 percent, can’t miss. This is who we want being the face of our program. We want the Texas kid staying in Texas and leading the Texans.‘”

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well according to Johnny Manziel... “It would be the worst decision they’ve ever made,” if the Texans didn't draft him at #1 overall.

“I want everybody from the janitor at Reliant Stadium to the front office executive assistant all the way up to (owner) Bob McNair to say, ‘This kid is 100 percent, can’t miss. This is who we want being the face of our program. We want the Texas kid staying in Texas and leading the Texans.‘”
IMO he reminds of Ryan Leaf as I have stated in other threads. I believe he will fold and freak in the NFL if he is a rookie starter. He needs to hold the clipboard for a while....2nd at best in this draft I hope.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO he reminds of Ryan Leaf as I have stated in other threads. I believe he will fold and freak in the NFL if he is a rookie starter. He needs to hold the clipboard for a while....2nd at best in this draft I hope.

Ryan leaf had talent, though.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan leaf had talent, though.
Talent ,but his mind couldn't handle what was to come in the NFL. I don't equate the two for talent....just the mental state. Leaf was by far better out of college IMO.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're wearing the Vikings logo out of some kind of sarcasm then?

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney, and it's not even close. Clowney has the potential to be the greatest DE of all time. Sure he could be a bust. Any of these guys could be. But a guy THAT BIG that can run THAT FAST, heck if he don't work out at DE put him at wide receiver, lol.

But seriously, all three QBs are not true number 1s so even though the Texans desperately need a QB the lack of separation from the first round QBs to the second QBs is not enough to pass on what could be a once-every-20-years pick.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bortles makes the most sense for Houston, but I see them grabbing Clowney and starting Fitzpatrick. Should Fitzpatrick be starting? Probably not, but he's serviceable and Houston gets a 'potential' force on D.

They might try and grab someone like Mettenberger round 3 and hopefully pull off a Wilson kind of thing.

Clowney, (one of the many WRs), and Mettenberger would actually be a solid 1-2-3 draft pickup for the Texans.

Houston was tied second worst for sacks in the league, so while there are glaring QB issues there's a glaring pass rush one as well. They picked up 5 sacks against Seattle (just because I watched that game) meaning 27 sacks for 15 other games.... less than 2 per game. That's not good especially with Watt on the team. Means basically 1 sack per game (Watt with 10.5) was generated from other players. Pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Bradford could've actually stayed healthy and didn't have the big injury question marks coming out of college it might be closer.

If we're talking a HEALTHY Bradford with no past injury concerns (assuming we're really putting Bortles in that same category) it's a VERY close pick. Bradford was easily consensus #1 overall that year until his injury and Suh was a MUCH better prospect AT THE POSITION than Clowney considering his work ethics.

That all said, this is not Bradford over Suh. It's more like David Carr/Joey Harrington vs. Julius Peppers.
I don't remember a DT since Suh ever being hyped as much. DE Peppers is the only thing that comes to mind... but DT? Hyped/projected? Just don't remember one.

Last edited by a moderator: