• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who should be the 5 finalists for COY?

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The better question is why did have to win without a defense? He is the head coach, not the OC, so his job is to get the most out of the team

He calls the offensive plays. Point is valid but again, this is the worst OU d since the 90's, no question.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He calls the offensive plays. Point is valid but again, this is the worst OU d since the 90's, no question.

2 stories from a Texas fan. Strong came to Texas and the defense was solid, offense putrid. Year 3, people expected the defense to return to near elite levels seen in year 1, as the experience caught up. He hired a new OC and installed the Baylor offense and offensive practice habits. DC complained about lack of time between plays to coach. Defense was one of the worst in Texas history, but offense improved. That was Strong’s last year

This year Texas has injuries on defense and gave up 500 yards in 3 straight games. Orlando talked to Herman. Apparently the team eased up on practice in year 2. Texas scrimmaged on Monday and went full contact all week. The defense held ISu out of the red zone until a punt return inside the 20 with about 2 minutes left. Maybe that fixed the defense, only time will tell, but either way they played a lot better.

Both stories show how practice habits can affect a unit and how a HC changing them can alter results. Reilly is young and this is his first time running a team. He went into the year with 2 LB coaches, 2 DL coaches, and 1 secondary coach on a team that is nickel and dime heavy. That is an odd use of coaching resources. He may need to think about how to balance his love of offense with his need to field a competent defense. I have always said if I was going to higher a top Coordinator for HC, I would spend 80% of the interview asking him about the other side of the ball

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 undefeated P5 coaches

Nick Saban, Bama
Brian Kelly, ND
Dabo Swinney, Clem

Undefeated Mid-Major and 1st year

Josh Heupel, UCF

Other CFP contending coach

Mike Leach, Wazzu
Jim Harbaugh, Mich
Lincoln Riley, Okla
Kirby Smart, UGA
Urban Meyer, OSU - I know, off-season issues will keep him from winning. But I will put him in anyway.

Less than 3-loss Coaches

Dana Holgorson, WVU
Matt Wells, Utah St
Luke Fickell, Cincy
Ed Orgeron, LSU
Jeff Monken, Army
Bill Clark, UAB
Lance Leipold, Buff
Bryan Harsin, Boise
Jeff Tedford, Fresno
Scott Satterfield, App St
Should be
Josh Heupel, UCF
Mike Leach, WSU
Jim Harbaugh, MICH
Brian Kelly, ND
Nick Saban, BAMA

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except none of that has happened yet.

Yeah, winter hasn't happened either...but it is coming! Just ask Game of Thrones. It just takes a while for it to occur. :D

On a side note, isn't it crazy that Nick Saban never wins coach of the year??? I mean, what does the guy got to do to win the award?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, winter hasn't happened either...but it is coming! Just ask Game of Thrones. It just takes a while for it to occur. :D

On a side note, isn't it crazy that Nick Saban never wins coach of the year??? I mean, what does the guy got to do to win the award?

Since he's the guy everybody else is chasing, the expectations for his teams are much higher. I think it would take Alabama averaging 68 points per game & not giving up a touchdown all year long.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he's the guy everybody else is chasing, the expectations for his teams are much higher. I think it would take Alabama averaging 68 points per game & not giving up a touchdown all year long.

It's crazy to me that he hasn't won the award in 10 years. I know he doesn't care about it, but you'd think they would just give it to him every few years if he is winning national titles on a fairly consistent basis.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stop playing cupcake FCS teams every year?:heh:

:peep:

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop playing cupcake FCS teams every year?:heh:

:peep:

We'd catch just as much flak if we scheduled a Big 10 team in that slot every year. They are the only Power-5 conference that equates playing an FCS team at home to playing a conference game on the road. :-)

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lincoln Riley's team is 10-1 when fielding the worst defense in the history of civilization.
You can do that when every team in the conference also has a terrible defense.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If life is remotely fair (and it isn't), this guy would win the award just about every year and they would probably name it after him. I am not even an Alabama fan, but he is the standard.

USATSI_10531793-718x490.jpg

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If life is remotely fair (and it isn't), this guy would win the award just about every year and they would probably name it after him. I am not even an Alabama fan, but he is the standard.

He is wwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the standard.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He really isn’t eligible. You kind of need to have a turn around or outperform your talent, which is pretty impossible at this point. I have always said that I don’t think his coaching is his best attribute. He is great at establishing a program and culture. He is the ultimate CEO of college football. He built a machine at Bama that is more about the process, than on field coaching genius. That is said with respect, so don’t get all offended Bama fans

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really isn’t eligible. You kind of need to have a turn around or outperform your talent, which is pretty impossible at this point. I have always said that I don’t think his coaching is his best attribute. He is great at establishing a program and culture. He is the ultimate CEO of college football. He built a machine at Bama that is more about the process, than on field coaching genius. That is said with respect, so don’t get all offended Bama fans
giphy.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What separates Saban from the rest is that he recruits well, and they are coached up on top of it. You can see it in the NFL and with what scouts say about Alabama players entering the draft.

It's not really an either/or type thing. You can say that he has a great staff and all that stuff and that's why they are so coached up etc, but it's not like other HC's are out there teaching every little detail. He loses assistants constantly and still maintains and it's because he coaches the coaches.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather do it by conference

Acc: Dino Barbers
Big 12: Campbell again
Big 10: harbaugh. Had Maryland beat OSU, I would put Canada here
PAC 12: Leach, the easiest call
Sec: Stoops.. considering Coach O, because he may get 10 wins and you all know you thought this was going to implode (me included)
Did the nominations come out today? I think they did.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3