• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is your 2nd rd. favorite?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something tells me that Warmack will be taken higher than 10. Not taking a guard so high is yesterdays thinking in the NFL. With the rookies salaries restricted now, there is no fear of over paying for a guard. Especially one who can be as dominating as Warmack. Most teams would not take him over Joekel or Fisher, but after those two are off the boards anything can happen.
Totally agree.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a lot of names there....don't see Sandcastle. Where is he going?

To KC, at #1 overall, duh.

I just didn't list him as a CB since he also plays DE, MLB, QB, WR, RB, FB, TE, LT, Power Forward, Center Field, Goalie, K, P, LS, and KR/PR...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say we stay on defense and go CB. Do they stay true to Lions ways and go WR here? Would not be upset here if Barrett Jones came to us a G one year then moved inside to center.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'ma copy and paste this from the other thread:

Lot's of prospects to love at the top of the second round.

I know we just took a DE, but Margus Hunt or Tank Carradine would be just fine by me. Both have the potential to be elite DEs, and landing either would allow us to rotate Jason Jones at DE and DT, maximizing his potential.

At CB Darrius Slay, Jamar Taylor, Jonathan Banks and Robert Alford are all still available. Imo, all 4 would be day one starters for us.

Then at safety there's Jonathan Cyprien or Phillip Thomas perhaps.

Arthur Brown would be a great pick at OLB.

At guard there's Larry Warford, at tackle Terron Armstead and Menelik Watson are still there, and Brian Schwenke is a dark horse at center.

WR needs could be solved by taking Justin Hunter or maybe Keenan Allen (though I get a bad feeling about him). Zach Ertz at TE is another dark horse option.

Lots and lots of 1st round talent left right now. Some surprising picks like Kyle Long and Travis Frederick have pushed some great talent back to us. We're in great shape with that pick.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say we stay on defense and go CB. Do they stay true to Lions ways and go WR here? Would not be upset here if Barrett Jones came to us a G one year then moved inside to center.

I like your thinking with staying defense. IMO, I think the best pick for the Lions would be Arthur Browne to fill the hole at OLB, unless the Lions feel comfortable with Ashlee Palmer.

If not -- there are quite a few solid CBs left on the board that the Lions could go after and I wouldn't be upset to see them take a chance on one of them.

As you mentioned here and I stated in another thread -- I have a sick feeling the Lions continue their roll and draft a WR in the 2nd round. I have a feeling it will be Justin Hunter if he is on the board.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't think Barrett Jones will be there for us in the 3rd, so we have to snag hom in the 2nd, that is who I'm hoping they choose. Of course they won't, that's just how they do. He's an All-American at all 3 o-line positions and is an academic All-American. What's not to like about this pick? He gives us not only a talented o-lineman, but a versatile one at that.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Justin Hunter is still available, I think the Lions have to take him. He instantly takes the offense up another notch and make Nate a third receiver.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter and Megatron lined up opposite of each other would be a nightmare for an opposing defenses...

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warford.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best available at any of the CB, LB, OL, DE spots. Giving the defense playmakers might reduce Stafford's pass attempts (chances to get killed) significantly. The Lions don't have to draft an O-lineman to make Stafford safer.

CB - David Amerson
LB - Manti Teo (I really wanted Ogeltree)
G - Larry Warford
C - Barrett Jones
DE - Margus Hunt

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB - David Amerson- CB not a priority, rather see a Safety
LB - Manti Teo (I really wanted Ogeltree) Need OLB with speed
G - Larry Warford Like him but I think he may be available in the 3rd
C - Barrett Jones Solid
DE - Margus Hunt
We could trade back and still get him.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Top 5 would be

1. Justin Hunter (Size/speed combination is a good fit for a deep threat. We only have 3 capable receivers right now, and burleson/broyles are both better in the slot.)

2. Arthur Brown - ran a 4.67 which is decent for LBs.

3. Johnathan Cyprien- Never know when delmas goes down. Even if both Delmas and Quinn are healthy, Cyprien can play safety and Quinn can move into the Nickel sometimes.

4. Larry Warford- top guard available

5. Menelik Watson- Top Tackle available

I think we can get either barrett jones or David Amerson in the 3rd round

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they take whichever remaining lineman they have rated highest (Watson?), regardless of position but Hunter is tough to pass up.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB - David Amerson- CB not a priority, rather see a Safety

quick question -- i keep hearing people talking about drafting a safety. why would we want to take another safety? we signed Quin and Delmas, as well as have Speivey and Don Carey as competent backups.

i've read how we can move Quin to the nickel and put Cyprien at Safety on certain downs, but why wouldn't we just draft a CB to use in the Nickel or use one of the 3 CBs everyone has talked about that we drafted last year?

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I agree that I don't want a safety to be drafted tonight. Not that having 3 good safeties is a bad thing. It would be a great thing for a team like the Niners or Seahawks to do. Teams with very little needs have that luxury. The Lions don't have that luxury. We have failed to earn that luxury due to so many bad draft picks in the 2nd & 3rd round over the years.

Last night was great. I loved the Ansah pick. But to be honest, the 1st round hasn't been the biggest problem for the Lions in recent history. Sure, the Reiff pick was questionable, but he may still be an important piece to the OL puzzle. And yes Best was a bust, but that was really a 2nd round pick that we used to get him, not a 1st. And that's my point.

Tonight is extremely important. And that's because tonight is the 2nd and 3rd round. And this is where the Lions have REALLY stuggled. These are the rounds that make championship teams. Everyone can pick a good player in the 1st round. But what separates the good teams from the bad are the picks that will take place tonight.

We can't take a safety. Too many other needs.

I would say that we can't take a WR for the same reason. However, Justin Hunter is a very special player. It took the Lions several 1st round WR busts before they finally got it right with Calvin Johnson. Maybe it will take the Lions several 2nd round WR busts before they finally get it right with Justin Hunter.

With that said, what would make me most happy tonight would be if we were able to somehow walk away with:

Arthur Brown
Barrett Jones

Oh my goodness those would be homerun draft picks to go with Ziggy!! We would still need to eventually address LT (if Reiff doesn't work out) and CB (if Bentley doesn't work out). But we can't solve everything at once. At least with Brown & Jones our LB and interior OL would be vastly improved.

This could be a franchise turning draft if we do it right. If we go it wrong it's just going to be more of the same.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MikeD, I can only speak for myself about the preference for depth at S rather than CB. First, CB's generally take longer to develop. Second, I don't think you can ever have too many good tacklers (S's v CB's) on a football team. You should have added IMO to Speivey and Don Carey as competent backups. With Delmas' injury history he can't be relied on to play 16 games.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to move down a few spots and still land Hunter then with a few extra picks, trade up again and pick up Warford at G. I've been hearing Nassib is getting a lot of attention.