• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is your 2nd rd. favorite?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Menelik Watson in the 2nd round would be just fine by me too.

Tank Carradine or Margus Hunt are my top two options though.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh- and the CBs for the 2nd round, can't forget about them!

Darrius Slay would be right there with Carradine or Hunt for me. He's a plug and play starter across from Houston.

Jamar Taylor, Robert Alford or D.J. Hayden would all be great picks too, imo...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am trusting in Delmas health the way the Lions trusted in Bests last year. things HAVE to be better!

If we don't go CB in the first I am a huge fan of Jamar Taylor, and Banks if he slips. In my perfect world Truffant falls to the second, I am aware it wont happen, but a guy can dream

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sold on Hunt, he is a dangerous combination of no experience and higher age. His physical tools are impressive, but I don't like the idea of a second on him. Carradine would be a mid-first without the injury, so he is probably my favorite in the second.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Slay will be a day one starter for us if we draft him. That kid out of Houston- D.J. Hayden, I believe, is getting a lot of 1st round whispers, and so is Jamar Tayor. Throw in Robert Alford and there's 4 CBs that might still be there at #36 that would be starters for us...

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Werner is there, do u guys take him? Theres a lot of ppl saying hes gonna fall to the 2nd. and Slay might go in the 1st

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Werner would be a steal in the 2nd if he tumbles that far. His ceiling may not be as high as others, but he'll be a ten year starter as a 4-3 DE when all is said and done.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. I'd love to see us either go DE or CB with #36- there's a lot of talent at those two positions in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeAndre Hopkins

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Slay will be a day one starter for us if we draft him. That kid out of Houston- D.J. Hayden, I believe, is getting a lot of 1st round whispers, and so is Jamar Tayor. Throw in Robert Alford and there's 4 CBs that might still be there at #36 that would be starters for us...

A decent amount of analysts have Slay slipping to the 3rd. Considering his position I can't see it. Do you know why?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you rubbed your eyes with jalapeno juice on your fingers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds like it would be most unpleasant

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something tells me that Warmack will be taken higher than 10. Not taking a guard so high is yesterdays thinking in the NFL. With the rookies salaries restricted now, there is no fear of over paying for a guard. Especially one who can be as dominating as Warmack. Most teams would not take him over Joekel or Fisher, but after those two are off the boards anything can happen.

I will be honest up front here and say that I dont know much about Slay, but I cant help but to get a feeling he will not be as good as advertised lately. Early on, all I heard was that Milliner was the best CB by far. THen Trufant and Rhosed moved up the boards. Then others came along. I dont even remember hearing anything about Slay until just recently. I cant help but to wonder if he is just benefiting from pre-draft hype. It happens every year to a few players. They are not as good as the hype, but just the right hi-lite film gets out there and makes the rounds and suddenly they shoot up the boards. I looked at a ranking I had coppied to excel a few weeks ago and Slay was at #67 and the 7th best CB on the board. Now some fans want the Lions to draft him with an early 2nd rounder? Just scares me is all.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being the fastest CB in the combine, 6'0" tall, playing in the SEC and netting 5 INTs last season tends to shoot a guy up the boards.

I see Mike Mayock has DJ Hayden as his top-rated CB now, over Milliner. It looks like there will be at least 4 first round CBs and as many as 8 could all go in round one. Hopefully 3 or 4 of those guys slide into the early second and we have a nice group of CBs and DEs to pick from...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That rating that he was the 7th best CB on the board may still be pretty close, it's just that the top of the CB market has risen up the boards as a whole.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those stats often cause too much hype. He may be the fastest CB ever and has great hands to boot, but if he doesnt have football or CB instincts and three picks came from one game against a bad QB, or they all came from just being lucky and in the right place when the ball was tipped or such, he wont be that great of a pro. Thats my point. A player can be burnt every game and be nothing better than average but he can get lucky a few times and show speed in the combine and his status rises tremendously.

Im not saying this is Slay, I am just saying I personally dont know its not and it worries me. To suddenly have possibly 8 CBs who might go in the first round when there was only one or two a few weeks ago? That is more hype than reality IMO. Most of them are likely 3rd round CBs who just got the right hype to move them up. With that kind of mix up in the CBs rankings, it worries me even more to take a second round CB. Makes me want Milliner that much more. Him I am more confident will be a good CB because he was the top guy from the start AND he posted the great combine and proved a lot of question marks wrong.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you're assuming the worst. It's not like this guy came from nowhere to become a top ten pick. He's basically moved up one full round since the combine. He was a late 2nd/3rd rounder, now he's a late 1st/2nd rounder. The only place I still see him going in the 3rd is on Walterfootball, and they don't update their player rankings for whatever reason. He still doesn't have DJ Hayden on his board at all.

He's got everything we look for in a CB- size, speed, ball skills and he played in a man-to-man system at Mississippi State. His game tapes are there- teams targeted him because he played across from Johnathan Banks and he held up very well.

It looks, right now at least, like there's 4 CBs- Milliner, Rhodes, Trufant and Hayden, then another 4 or 5 who aren't too far behind the top-shelf guys. Milliner is the only one who really stands on his own. If Milliner is a 100 (hypothetically) then Rhodes, Hayden and Trufant are a 95 or 96, and Slay, Taylor, Banks and co. are in the 90-91 range, imo...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That rating that he was the 7th best CB on the board may still be pretty close, it's just that the top of the CB market has risen up the boards as a whole.

imo, this happens every year simply because CBs are highly sought after much like QBs....It's not by chance, happens every year. No guard at #5.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Milliner is the guy at the top (unless you're Mike Mayock), then Rhodes and Trufant are sure-fire 1st rounders.

Then there's 7 or 8 guys with some pretty damn good starting potential who should all be gone by the start of the 3rd round.

From the late 1st through the 2nd is where the run on CBs will go this year. I can see at least 10 gone before our 3rd round pick: Milliner, Rhodes, Trufant, Hayden, Taylor, Banks, Slay, Robert Alford, Blidi Wreh-Wlison and Jordan Poyer are all likely to go in the top two rounds, imo.

Then there's a handful of other intriguing guys that should go in the 3rd or 4th: David Amerson, Logan Ryan, Tyrann Mathieu, Terry Hawthorne, B.W. Webb, Dwayne Gratz, Leon McFadden, Will Davis and Tharold Simon. I feel like after those guys it drops off into "crap shoot" territory. Sure, there's still talent to be found after that, but all these guys listed in the groups above should be ready to step in right away and contribute, some as starters, others in the nickel and dime sets...