• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is the player you don't want your team to draft?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too long ago on the NFL Network, they listed the top 10 UDFA's of all time. It was a who's who of HOF'rs.
The draft is a total crap shoot, yet some teams are better at it than others.

Yep...sometimes you cash in on a 6th or 7th rounder, or as you pointed out UDFA. Other times you miss on guys in the top 15 or 20 players taken. It happens to every team...but the teams that are always picking high in the draft often change HCs, GMs, but I wonder if they ever get to the source...the scouting dept.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy...for even more obvious reasons.

Yeah this player, I just got no faith in him making it in the NFL. 49ers posters seem to like him, I hope they get him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...sometimes you cash in on a 6th or 7th rounder, or as you pointed out UDFA. Other times you miss on guys in the top 15 or 20 players taken. It happens to every team...but the teams that are always picking high in the draft often change HCs, GMs, but I wonder if they ever get to the source...the scouting dept.
Yes the scouting department , teams need to give that department a close look. If you keep the same scouts for the next GM, without giving them a good look on how good they performed, your just going down the same path.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Pats fans it really doesn't apply - evil BB will do things that no one expects, like draft a bunch dudes no one has even heard about. Hopefully, he will sit tight with the DBs, WRs, and RBs, look for more value in things that have worked, unheard of nobodies that no one would give a dime for.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my Vikings: Brandon Scherff

Guy is a dirty player who got the press he got beating up on 180lb DB's. I don't think he is going to be able to transition to LG as easily as people think and will struggle against NFL power.

None of this is true. He has a nasty imposition, but he's not a dirty player. He showed time and time again the ability to beat big defensive linemen's hands down and drive them into the ground. His outstanding speed and athleticism along with his massive hands and weightroom legend status makes it very likely that he'll transition easily to guard.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of this is true. He has a nasty imposition, but he's not a dirty player. He showed time and time again the ability to beat big defensive linemen's hands down and drive them into the ground. His outstanding speed and athleticism along with his massive hands and weightroom legend status makes it very likely that he'll transition easily to guard.

Agree to disagree.

He made his name beating up on DB's and a lot of it could have drawn flags. If he plays like he did in college, there is no way he doesn't draw a couple of personal foul penalties in his first year.

He is nasty though and that is often a plus if a guy can control it. And he does have enough athleticism to be a really good guard. But I just don't want to have to root for him.

Every time I saw him play the comparison that jumped out to me was Incognito. Passionate to the point of being dirty, athletic but not overly so but clearly playing out of position.

I am a raging homer though. So after a single season on my Vikes I would be talking about how his dirtiness is just passion!

That playing out of position is probably the biggest reason I don't want him for my Vikes. We are picking at #11. If you are going to pick an OG at #11, he has to be a nearly flawless prospect. Scherff is a good prospect but not an OG that you pick at #11 IMO and in large part because you just don't know how he is going to handle the kick to the inside completely. You get better value in this draft waiting on a OG and taking Cann or Marpet (who I really want for my team) in the 2nd.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree and disagree. There are many reasons that top teams keep picking near the top. Now with the scouting department yeah maybe they are below average and the team needs to take a closer look. Beyond that though when you are switching coaching staffs every couple of years that means whole new systems are coming in and maybe the players that were drafted for the last system that were just starting to develop don't fit the new system so then those players continue to look like busts. Maybe the coaching staff just doesn't know how to use the players given to them. One of Elway's famous quotes about the draft is they don't draft All-Pros, we develop them. I actually think there are a lot of teams that are just terrible at developing the players that they have. This is where Seattle seems to have such a great advantage in especially having a great college coach in he knows he has to coach up the players as they are not coming in day 1 refined. They also do a great job of not so much looking at the weaknesses of a player but putting that player in a position to play to their strengths. That to me is how you maximize your draft in making sure that everybody from that 1st round pick to the UDFA's are given the best coaching to maximize their opportunity.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of worried about Shane Ray falling and PIT grabbing him. Honestly I've never been overly impressed. I think he'll be average in the NFL. But I'm usually wrong about my initial thoughts on a player lol.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq Thompson & Eric Kendricks.

Both are too small to be a consistent edge rusher.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree.

He made his name beating up on DB's and a lot of it could have drawn flags. If he plays like he did in college, there is no way he doesn't draw a couple of personal foul penalties in his first year.

He is nasty though and that is often a plus if a guy can control it. And he does have enough athleticism to be a really good guard. But I just don't want to have to root for him.

Every time I saw him play the comparison that jumped out to me was Incognito. Passionate to the point of being dirty, athletic but not overly so but clearly playing out of position.

I am a raging homer though. So after a single season on my Vikes I would be talking about how his dirtiness is just passion!

That playing out of position is probably the biggest reason I don't want him for my Vikes. We are picking at #11. If you are going to pick an OG at #11, he has to be a nearly flawless prospect. Scherff is a good prospect but not an OG that you pick at #11 IMO and in large part because you just don't know how he is going to handle the kick to the inside completely. You get better value in this draft waiting on a OG and taking Cann or Marpet (who I really want for my team) in the 2nd.

I actually don't disagree with your final paragraph. It's definitely not a guarantee he'd work as a guard, but the evidence would at least suggest it. However, the Vikings have more pressing needs so I think they would be better served looking WR, CB, or trading back.

That said, he sincerely didn't make his name beating up on DBs. You're the first person I've ever heard say that, and not a single draft analysis has ever even mentioned that, and in fact they mention how well he does with his hands beating up defensive linemen, so I have no idea where you're getting that idea.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq Thompson & Eric Kendricks.

Both are too small to be a consistent edge rusher.

Aren't they both ILB?

EDIT: I'm retarded. I knew Thompson wasn't, not sure what I was thinking. Kendricks, however, is an ILB prospect.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't they both ILB?

EDIT: I'm retarded. I knew Thompson wasn't, not sure what I was thinking. Kendricks, however, is an ILB prospect.

Kendricks is a guy I think you can plug him in about any of the linebacker spots and he will do just fine. He isn't a pure pass rusher so probably 3-4 OLB is not his spot but otherwise I think he can do well at any of the others. AS for Shaq Thompson the big question with him is where do you play him? As a linebacker he is probably a WLB in a 4-3 defense. I can't see him playing anything else at the linebacker spot. Some teams though see him as the next big hitting SS. The fact that he has hardly played safety though just leads me to believe those teams won't be picking him early in the draft knowing it would be a huge risk. Look for a 4-3 team with a hole at the WLB spot to take Thompson.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq is an OLB & Kendricks is listed as ILB. Most draft analysis has them identified as future WILL LB(s). I just don't think at 6', they can be consistently effective.