• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is the most overpaid QB in the NFL?

Most overpaid QB

• Colin Kaepernick: 6 years $126m

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • Joe Flacco: 6 years $120.6m

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Jay Cutler: 7 years $126.7m

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Tony Romo: 6 years $108m

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Eli Manning: 6 years $97.5m

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sam Bradford: 6 years $78m

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap's is spread out over 7 years. So 6 years 126 extension. I guess my problem with it, is that Kap's contract is way better than any of the others, it only has a little over 13 mil fully guaranteed. And is basically a year by year deal with de-escalators in it as well. And the first 5 year average is only $16.4 mill which is the franchise tag for QBs for 2014. I know you can't add all that in and I don't believe all the info was out yet on the contract. But that was my issue with it. The devil is in the details. This was a win for the niners, and Kap wanted it that way.

Really?

I agree that this is a good deal for the niners side, but I cant believe that Kap truly wanted a contract without a "big" signing bonus and so little commitment from the other end. I think he settled because he wanted to get a deal done this offseason, but I dont think this is the contract he wanted. And if he continues to develop and improve I could see a holdout in a year or two.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough call because there are different scenarios to this. Fredo Flacco did help get them a Lombardi and his performance against Denver in the AFC champ game and SB was all you could ask for. Overpaid, absolutely. The worst on that list. Mmmmmmmm.....

Craperdick has them in the playoffs twice. Not bad, even if their D does a lot of the heavy lifting.

Cutler is a proven INT machine so of those choices, I say he's the most overpaid given his history.

Romo.....meh. But when Jerrah is your GM for life, the odds are stacked against any QB.

Eli got them a ring and the Giants have kind of floundered lately without it being much of his fault.

Bradford? The Rams have never given him the proper tools to succeed. Their finally starting too, but it might be too late for him like Alex Smith. I could see a scenario of them trading him like SF did Smith at the end of this year, but it's a tough call since this was the last year of the ass raping of draft picks they got from Redskins. Next year, they will be faced with some tough choices about QB.

idk the details of the contract but I'm reading Kap's G$ is not nearly as much as reported.

To answer the thread question toss up between Bradford and Cutler...We all know Cutler has the physical tools and when the OL play is decent he delivers...he wins football games...but when it's adverse and you need him to come through...he's iffy.

Bradford has just not played enough meaningful games to be worth that kind of money. Some of that is not on him given the talent he's had around him, but also injury prone. My pick would be Bradford.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is better on that list? Just cuz Sheli and Bert gotta ring doesnt make them great QBs. Plenty if mediocre QBs with rings

How many mediocre qb's have two Super Bowl rings?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 Cap Number for highest paid QBs:

1. Eli Manning - $20,400,000
2. Ben Roethlisberger - $18,895,000
3. Jay Cutler - $18,500,000
4. Drew Brees - $18,400,000
5. Sam Bradford - $17,610,000
6. Aaron Rodgers - $17,550,000
7. Peyton Manning - $17,500,000
7. Matt Ryan - $17,500,000
9. Phil Rivers - $16,666,666
10. Matthew Stafford - $15,820,000
11. Joe Flacco - $14,800,000
11. Tom Brady - $14,800,000
13. Carson Palmer - $12,000,000
14. Tony Romo - $11,773,000
15. Alex Smith - $8,000,000
15. Matt Schaub - $8,000,000
17. Cam Newton - $7,008,113
18. Andrew Luck - $6,029,454
19. Robert Griffin III - $5,759,754
20. Matt Cassel - $5,750,000
20. Chad Henne - $5,750,000

Since these contracts rarely last long enough to see the HUGE pay out (if Kaep really screws up this year, the 9ers can cut bate with him and get $7.5 million back for next years cap and pay him nothing for the rest of the contract and Flacco most likely restructures before his cap number hits $28.5 million in 2016).

So, I went with Eli. There is no way he should be the highest paid QB in the NFL (at least cap number wise, and he was also the highest paid in 2013).

Interesting logic.

I agree that Eli shouldn't be the highest paid QB, but that doesn't automatically mean he's the most overpaid. Based on total body of work relative to salary...Bradford has to be higher than Eli on any overpaid list.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it's either Cutler or Romo. Big $, small results.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is better on that list? Just cuz Sheli and Bert gotta ring doesnt make them great QBs. Plenty if mediocre QBs with rings

Yea, a lot of average qb's have 2 SB rings and beat the Pats in both of them, and a lot of average qb's go 5 straight playoff seasons in a row and tie the best SB run qb in history while winning and being chosen MVP.....
Dude you need to put the pipe down for a while because you are talking crazy dumb....
It is all about the W's and titles in this league and Jay Cutler has not been able to accomplish it with 2 teams and 8 years under center....Let me help you, that ain't good..
He is talented, but lacks the extra moxie it takes to be an elite qb in this league and win under extreme pressure with the odds against you....
Yes Joe and Eli are better than Jay, the records prove it....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting logic.

I agree that Eli shouldn't be the highest paid QB, but that doesn't automatically mean he's the most overpaid. Based on total body of work relative to salary...Bradford has to be higher than Eli on any overpaid list.

Since 2010 (Bradford's rookie season), Bradford has made $43,855,000 against the cap. In that time, he's started 49 games, he averages 225.8 ypg, 1.20 TD/g, 0.78 INT/g and has a 79.3 rating.

Eli has been paid $56,650,000, and has 64 starts averaging 261.0/1.63/1.30 respectively and a rating of 83.8.

Even if you want to give Manning a boost for the Giants winning the Super Bowl (only playoff appearance of either QB in the last 4), you also can't ignore that he had the highest number of INTs last season since Brett Favre's 2005 campaign. Not only was his 27 INT the second highest since 2000, but he's also the only QB since 1990 to have multiple 25 INT campaigns (2010 & 2013, he also threw 20 in 2007).

Bradford's issues stem from injuries and a lack of talent around him (Brandon Gibson as your best option isn't necessarily a good thing). When healthy, Bradford is a better than average QB, where I feel (and always have) that Eli is average at best.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, a lot of average qb's have 2 SB rings and beat the Pats in both of them, and a lot of average qb's go 5 straight playoff seasons in a row and tie the best SB run qb in history while winning and being chosen MVP.....
Dude you need to put the pipe down for a while because you are talking crazy dumb....
It is all about the W's and titles in this league and Jay Cutler has not been able to accomplish it with 2 teams and 8 years under center....Let me help you, that ain't good..
He is talented, but lacks the extra moxie it takes to be an elite qb in this league and win under extreme pressure with the odds against you....
Yes Joe and Eli are better than Jay, the records prove it....

How'd Eli fare last year?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh thats right, its the consummate TEAM game, making these comparisons stupid and your "hands down" statement even more dumb. I'm entitled to my opinion, and it is just that..an opinion . You on the other hand are making assertions and claiming them as facts.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kap's is spread out over 7 years. So 6 years 126 extension. I guess my problem with it, is that Kap's contract is way better than any of the others, it only has a little over 13 mil fully guaranteed. And is basically a year by year deal with de-escalators in it as well. And the first 5 year average is only $16.4 mill which is the franchise tag for QBs for 2014. I know you can't add all that in and I don't believe all the info was out yet on the contract. But that was my issue with it. The devil is in the details. This was a win for the niners, and Kap wanted it that way.

I disagree. He stated some time ago he wanted a team friendly contract. He wanted to be paid like a top guy, but not hurt the ability to sign other players. This is exactly what happened. If he didn't like it, he could have pulled a Flacco and played out this season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. He stated some time ago he wanted a team friendly contract. He wanted to be paid like a top guy, but not hurt the ability to sign other players. This is exactly what happened. If he didn't like it, he could have pulled a Flacco and played out this season.

I'm confused. Who are you disagreeing with? You quoted yourself and then said you disagree, I'm assuming your actual disagreeing with some else post, but who?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But this is really a team friendly contract because it's essentially year-to-year, not because of the savings. I believe that Kap wanted a "cap friendly" contract, but I dont see how he could have wanted it structured this way. I'm positive that he would have rather had smaller total numbers, but had a MUCH larger signing bonus and a commitment for 3-4 years. That strategy, like what the Pats have done with Brady is more cost effective than large year to year contracts, but it requires a very long term commitment to the player. What SF has done tells me that the niners want Kap there, but aren't sold that he's "the man" yet.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused. Who are you disagreeing with? You quoted yourself and then said you disagree, I'm assuming your actual disagreeing with some else post, but who?

I think it was for me.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh thats right, its the consummate TEAM game, making these comparisons stupid and your "hands down" statement even more dumb. I'm entitled to my opinion, and it is just that..an opinion . You on the other hand are making assertions and claiming them as facts.

Eli's last year means nothing in this conversation, we are talking about winning and losing QB's.
He's got 2 SB rings in almost the same time in the league as your boy Jay who has none.
You are entitled to an opinion but when you say a QB that has had 7 years and won nothing is better than ones who have continuous wins and SB MVP's, you have to be ready for opposition on a ludicrous statement like that....

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli's last year means nothing in this conversation, we are talking about winning and losing QB's.
He's got 2 SB rings in almost the same time in the league as your boy Jay who has none.
You are entitled to an opinion but when you say a QB that has had 7 years and won nothing is better than ones who have continuous wins and SB MVP's, you have to be ready for opposition on a ludicrous statement like that....

No, you are talking about that. I simply stated who I would want.

IMO he is as good or better individually. Has nothing to do with rings or teams.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yer the one who got a boner over it and has been stalking me ever since.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kopatrick is just another Mike Vick with less talent and a better team around him...That's all that keeps him competitive..IMO
But second is Matt Ryan in my book and although he is a better qb than Krappy is, he is less successful....1 playoff win in 6 yrs, and in the 120 mil club ?????
Then their's Jay (I don't care) Cutler that has never won a playoff game and only been in 1 or 2.....
It's all about the hype, people.....If you're dumb enough to buy it, the nfl will sell you the air in the stadium every sunday.....:rollseyes:

Cutler took the Bears to the NFC Championship in 2010, so yeah, he did win a playoff game. Interesting that you would say Jay (I don't care) Cutler and then state you're dumb if you buy the hype. That is how the media portrays him, yet those that play with him say different. So, what's that about buying into media bullshit? Or are you not going to acknowledge this point? Or you can't see the hypocrisy in your statement?

Normally I agree with you, but this was just stupid.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler took the Bears to the NFC Championship in 2010, so yeah, he did win a playoff game. Interesting that you would say Jay (I don't care) Cutler and then state you're dumb if you buy the hype. That is how the media portrays him, yet those that play with him say different. So, what's that about buying into media bullshit? Or are you not going to acknowledge this point? Or you can't see the hypocrisy in your statement?

Normally I agree with you, but this was just stupid.

Didn't he remove himself from that game, saying he couldn't continue while standing on the sidelines ?
Players, media, coaches and fans questioned his tenacity after that one....But if you as a Bears fan are happy with a guy that can't get them over the hump, then have at it.....But remember, Rex Grossman took them to the SB, so what does that say about him to you ?