• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who do you want?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Why do you personally care so much about TV ratings? Seriously dude...

My guess would be that it's because that's where the league makes the bulk of it's money. More eyeballs on tv's means more money for the league. It's really not a surprising thing.

It's about attracting the casual fan. If we get, for example, a Jazz vs. Bucks finals...the majority of us on this board are going to be watching because we're all hoops junkies. But the casual fan isn't. It's why David Stern once famously joked that his ideal finals would be Lakers vs. Lakers. It had nothing to do with the Lakers as a franchise, it was about the market size and the number of casual fans that would watch.

With the way these playoffs have gone, most of us on here are of the attitude that "if my team can't win it, I'm glad it'll be a team that has never won a title or a team that hasn't won one in a long time" (unless it's the Nets lol). But many casual fans have likely already "checked out" because most of the big market teams are already gone.

It sucks for the smaller market teams and it's why the league has tried to make changes that make it easier for smaller market teams to keep their stars. But, at the end of the day, the bigger markets are always going to have it easier than smaller market teams because of their location.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Why do you personally care so much about TV ratings? Seriously dude...

I don’t care at all about the ratings. My post was a sarcastic comment because at the time it was made, the Bucks looked dead in the water.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess would be that it's because that's where the league makes the bulk of it's money. More eyeballs on tv's means more money for the league. It's really not a surprising thing.

It's about attracting the casual fan. If we get, for example, a Jazz vs. Bucks finals...the majority of us on this board are going to be watching because we're all hoops junkies. But the casual fan isn't. It's why David Stern once famously joked that his ideal finals would be Lakers vs. Lakers. It had nothing to do with the Lakers as a franchise, it was about the market size and the number of casual fans that would watch.

With the way these playoffs have gone, most of us on here are of the attitude that "if my team can't win it, I'm glad it'll be a team that has never won a title or a team that hasn't won one in a long time" (unless it's the Nets lol). But many casual fans have likely already "checked out" because most of the big market teams are already gone.

It sucks for the smaller market teams and it's why the league has tried to make changes that make it easier for smaller market teams to keep their stars. But, at the end of the day, the bigger markets are always going to have it easier than smaller market teams because of their location.
I get why NBA and networks might care but why should we care who the casual fans want to watch?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get why NBA and networks might care but why should we care who the casual fans want to watch?

More people watching means bigger television contracts which means more televised games. I know locally/regionally we can see every one of our local teams games. But for national broadcasts, we could end up with more choices of teams to watch. Hopefully at least, it would mean getting to see more of teams that we normally wouldn't see much without paying for league pass.

Which kind of a long way of saying, not much reason, but there is some reason. Attracting the casual fan why the NFL is now on what? 4 days a week now? It's on so much that awhile back, my wife and one of her friends were so convinced that the NFL had games on 7 days a week...I had to actually show them some schedules before they'd believe it wasn't. lol

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gobert holding the trophy after last year would be fantastic lol

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how most of this board is just searching for a team to root for while my Nuggets are still in the field of play.

This is how it should be. :clap::D
They aren't. Sorry.

LOL at your Nuggets, you're a Pacers fan.....how many teams can you root for? Hilarious.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want it all, I’m an American damnit.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't. Sorry.

LOL at your Nuggets, you're a Pacers fan.....how many teams can you root for? Hilarious.

I'd rather not discuss Cane's nuggets....