• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

White Sox/Tigers Midweek Redux

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't think so. I don't think one pitch, one spot is predictable. It can change with each pitcher and each AB. I've seen all of our guys be aggressive first pitch at some point.

Wade Boggs never swung at a first pitch in his entire career. I don't recall guys like Frank Thomas or Bonds doing much of that either. Generally, you should be taking more first pitches than you don't. I don't know who would argue that or why they would.

Well - you managed to circle the bases on me. ;)

To claim predictability on any pitched ball - isn't necessarily bad - certainly leaves me speechless.

I do enjoy your takes - and if all I wanted to to is hear my own opinions - I wouldn't be here.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to say Tim Anderson isn't the catalyst for this White Sox team. Go White Sox! Two more and get the broom.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tim starts it once again. i might be forced to admit the chance of a possibility that anderson might give this team life ..... or some reasonable facsimile.

tenor.gif

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question. Which do you think is more valuable. An 18 game sample size in a season with no spring training? Or an 879 game sample size? Lol. If you don't mind - I would like a direct answer to this question.

You have to be trolling. No one is this dense.

He is undoubtedly and without question... one of the best two catchers in baseball. He's top 3 in every Fangraphs defensive metric and MLBN just had a debate on the best offensive catcher in baseball. Grandal vs Realmuto were the only two guys worth showing a graphic for. Most of the separation is due to one starting cold vs one being red hot.

The only thing Grandal hasn't done this year is hit HR's like he usually does. His OBP is right on par with his career and is extremely valuable on a team that never walks.

In the entire league, this is the only guy you would be right in saying is better than Grandal. And it's very close.

The graphic does not even include OBP. Which Grandal is superior in in. Which, again, far more valuable than average.

Grandal has also passed Realmuto in OPS since this graphic. Which was run a few days ago.

Dude...There is, was and always will be one sample size. Whatever the player does for the Sox/Bears/Bulls. What he did before becoming a White Sox got him the contract here, and now he has to live up to it. Fair or not. He's the highest paid player in our history and frankly that's sad.

As for his prior production, do me a favor: Go to your local office supply store, buy a bigass poster board. Go home with it. Pick a franchise, ANY franchise, doesn't have to be Sox...Hell, doesn't even have to be baseball. ANY F*CKING SPORTS FRANCHISE you want. Write down every free agent in that franchise's history on the poster board...Put it up on your wall...Then throw 10 darts on it...and when you hit at least 4 guys that produced worse than they had prior to their FA signing, tell me about how much I should give a sh*t about what Yasmani Grandal did for the Brewers, Dodgers or the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs...

Grandal isn't bad, but he was a bad signing the way this is turning out. I've said this to Mingo before and will reiterate: We're treating a guy that is just a piece like a centerpiece. That never turns out well. That isn't to say Yasmani Grandal is a bad player. I get that he brings...shall we say..."this and that" to the table. But he's not the guy. So beyond all the ball busting, it really does peeve me that we're throwing him into the heart of the order. He should not be there on this team.

I don't really care what Grandal vs. Realmuto is. Whatever it is, it's not there this season from what I've seen, if one is even inclined to believe it ever was. One of the best catchers in the league? Fuggedabout it. Look. Simple story. If it's bottom of the ninth, based loaded 2 outs game tied and you asked me "Grandal or McCann"...It's not even question for me. The fact that that is even possible to consider, much less STRONGLY consider, about our franchise's highest paid player...is frankly depressing. What a weird circumstance.

When a real star anchor type player goes up, you know it. You can actually hear it in the announcers. "Holy sh*t here comes Luis Robert...Good f*cking Lord this pitcher is f*cked royally' (paraphrased) When Grandal comes up to the plate, it literally is like Stone and Bennetti are two marketing interns selling a pet rock to their Advertising 101 professor. "He's got a great eye and is so good for the clubhouse and hoo boy what he does for our pitchers, and he's not afraid to take that walk....Annnnnd that's strike 3."

Move his ass down in the order please and thank you. No more of this heart of the order sh*t.

Love ya richi.

Last edited:

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're in the 7 spot as of today after yesterday's results. So far so good with this Tigers set.

All is well in White Sox land. :)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best of luck to Dane Dunning for his first start - I hope he gets the beer shower.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best of luck to Dane Dunning for his first start - I hope he gets the beer shower.

We'll score 12 for him. Easy peasy.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well well well...Not only is Dunning making his debut...so is the #1 pick from 2018, Casey Mize. Vewwy Vewwy intewesting.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well well well...Not only is Dunning making his debut...so is the #1 pick from 2018, Casey Mize. Vewwy Vewwy intewesting.

No clue how much work either will get. Judging by other debuts this year - not much.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue how much work either will get. Judging by other debuts this year - not much.

If I knew how to get a hold of the Tigers pup, I'd send a montage video of the Sox crushing that Cardinals noob back-to-back-to-back-to-back with a note that says "You're next"

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we're catching Collins because he was Dunning's catcher coming up through the system for a bit?

Whether it's that or to give him "a shot". I mean, eww... He's just not a competent major leaguer. I know the organization REEEAAALLLY wants to believe he will be, though. He's 25. At 26... you're in the latter part of your 20's. You have been a professional baseball player for a while and I have problems with talks of "future" and "potential/tools".

25 is still a very young man for general life. But in professional sports? It's time to get on with it or GTFO.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s 2020 id! Anything goes. Hell, you can identify as a koala these days.

Yes?

2020 Chicago White Sox.

And what can I do for you?

We're changing our identity to "Playoff Baseball Team."

Let's see...That'll be $75 million and a year of .240 baseball at the 3 spot.

Fine...Deal.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid’s doing real well after the first 4. That was a big out of danger there in the 4th.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunning was really good for the most part and just made a few pitches he wished he could have back. I would enjoy seeing an encore next trip through the rotation.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting stats from tonight's historic rookie pitcher matchup

Both rooks went 4-1/3 inn., struck out 7 batters and both also gave up 3 runs.