• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

White Sox/Tigers Midweek Redux

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 games vs. the Tiggers.

We're currently on the inside of the playoff scenario in the 8th and final spot. Winning at least 3 here would really put us in a good position. Losing at least 3, on the other hand, would be a devastating blow.

Let's do this boys.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to sweep.

I'd love it because talent-wise we could do it, but it's not really realistic to expect that considering both our pitching and hitting go on absolute sh*tstreaks off and on so far. 3 should get the job done...2 would be sh*tty/disappointing but not a complete disaster. Losing 3-4 would be an absolute soul-crushing disaster, though.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the exception of turnbull their pitching for this series looks as bad (maybe worse) as ours so .... we have a shot.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My limited run Robert yellow parallel 2020 rookie card arrived today. Lied to wife about what I had to bid to win it lol.

upload_2020-8-17_12-39-55.jpeg

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My limited run Robert yellow parallel 2020 rookie card arrived today. Lied to wife about what I had to bid to win it lol.

LOL. We do what we have to for love CSF.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is this a graded card?
i'm assuming it is at least a couple hundred huh?
This is going to be graded. Sending it to PSA when I get some other cards back from them. This was $350 out the door ungraded. This particular card is going for $300-$600 right now ungraded.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be graded. Sending it to PSA when I get some other cards back from them. This was $350 out the door ungraded. This particular card is going for $300-$600 right now ungraded.

i'm a card collector from ... well, since 1958. i had psa grade all the important ones and still having some graded as they become worth doing, even tho the price of grading is absolutely ridiculous now.
i find it interesting how topps (and others) have figured out a way to make even new cards valuable. just change a color in limited quantities. any color on a card! it used to be what made commons valuable was misprints etc. also cards were released in a number of series across the season so that higher numbered cards were more valuable toward the end of the season because interest lagged and kids were looking forward to football so not as many were sold. that stopped in, i think around 1972 when all players' cards were released at the start of the season.
over time some of my cards became very valuable (for instance i had a rookie rose card that cost me about a penny that i sold for $1500 back around 1995 (psa 8) not a bad investment tho i wish i still had it as it's worth triple that now). the problem with collecting today, and buying really expensive cards is that their values won't go up very much if at all. there are exceptions i think because they pack these cards occasionally with regular packs and if you're real lucky you could wind up with one.
now if robert becomes the star a lot of folks think he will your card will be very valuable someday (check out prices on rookie trout for example). so .... keep your fingers crossed! :)

and good luck on your grade. psa today is VERY inconsistent with their grades. not to mention the wait time for a 20 day turnaround can be 4 or more months. hopefully you're lucky and pull a 10.

Last edited:

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers are bringing up two of their prospects for this series. Casey Mize (Number one pick from two years ago) and Tarik Subal #50 overall prospect.

Should be interesting either way.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm a card collector from ... well, since 1958. i had psa grade all the important ones and still having some graded as they become worth doing, even tho the price of grading is absolutely ridiculous now.
i find it interesting how topps (and others) have figured out a way to make even new cards valuable. just change a color in limited quantities. any color on a card! it used to be what made commons valuable was misprints etc. also cards were released in a number of series across the season so that higher numbered cards were more valuable toward the end of the season because interest lagged and kids were looking forward to football so not as many were sold. that stopped in, i think around 1972 when all players' cards were released at the start of the season.
over time some of my cards became very valuable (for instance i had a rookie rose card that cost me about a penny that i sold for $1500 back around 1995 (psa 8) not a bad investment tho i wish i still had it as it's worth triple that now). the problem with collecting today, and buying really expensive cards is that their values won't go up very much if at all. there are exceptions i think because they pack these cards occasionally with regular packs and if you're real lucky you could wind up with one.
now if robert becomes the star a lot of folks think he will your card will be very valuable someday (check out prices on rookie trout for example). so .... keep your fingers crossed! :)

and good luck on your grade. psa today is VERY inconsistent with their grades. not to mention the wait time for a 20 day turnaround can be 4 or more months. hopefully you're lucky and pull a 10.
Good post. True about the value of some of today’s cards. Had to have this Robert card for some reason. You’re right about the cost to get items graded. I paid ~$75 to get 3 regular Robert rookie cards graded, and I’m still waiting for them from PSA due to incredibly slow turnaround and times.

The one modern card that keeps going up I’ve noticed is the 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout US175 rookie card, in all of its variants. I have a couple of them, purchased for what looks like peanuts compared to what they’re going for now.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers are bringing up two of their prospects for this series. Casey Mize (Number one pick from two years ago) and Tarik Subal #50 overall prospect.

Should be interesting either way.
A guy in my fantasy league picked up Subal today and I was wondering who the fuck that is lol.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just noticed you mentioned rookie Trout, after I had responded to you initially lol.

I have a PSA 10 in that card and a Beckett 9.5 in that card. Going to give both to my son.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy in my fantasy league picked up Subal today and I was wondering who the fuck that is lol.

Most Tigers fans couldn't have told you who he was even a year ago. He made it to Erie AA and struck out 17 per 9 in 9 starts. He sort of shot up out of nowhere. Mize was pretty dominant until he ran into arm issues last year. Had something like 9 earned runs in his first 13 starts between single and AA. Then he hit a wall

But I'm sure the big boys will provide them quite the learning curve

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just noticed you mentioned rookie Trout, after I had responded to you initially lol.

I have a PSA 10 in that card and a Beckett 9.5 in that card. Going to give both to my son.

hopefully not till he's old enough to really appreciate it. (at least 50 imo) :)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a younger brother I trained up to be a baseball player. I had secured his promise when he was 12 that I would be his business manager for his baseball career. The US Army drafted me - and while I was busy the NY Yankees drafted my brother. He was drafted 6 rounds ahead of Don Mattingly (Mattingly was a top prospect, but everyone expected him to go to college- so he got drafted late).

I didn't get to negotiate my brother's draft bonus, but when I caught up to him - I thought about this baseball card - at least he could let me handle his baseball card rights. No, there are guys who hang around "A" ball town bars and offer guys a round of drinks for their Baseball card rights.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thus far, Boyd seems to be back to his pre-2019 form when he was just a gas can who loved giving up HR's. We'll see if it stays that way.

We need to start stacking wins. Especially with the Cubs this weekend. My expectation is to take 3 of 4, minimum.

The Tigers actually do have some solid right-handed bats, though. A little nervous about Gio.

Let's really hope that we can build off of the excitement yesterday. If you want to be a contender - you HAVE to take this series.